Plant Books First 2012 U.S. Show

The Pagemeister

Robert-Plant_Dave-Hogan_Getty-Images.jpg

Dave Hogan, Getty Images

Blues music has always been important to Robert Plant, and the same can be said of Clarksdale, Mississippi. Not only has Plant been there more than once to explore its deep blues history, he and fellow Led Zeppelin legend Jimmy Page honored the city by naming their 1998 joint studio effort ‘Walking Into Clarksdale.’

Clarksdale is where Plant will be in August when he headlines the 25th anniversary edition of the Sunflower River Blues and Gospel Festival.

“This is spectacular news,” longtime festival co-chairman Melville Tillis said recently. “We have been in dialogue with Robert Plant for several months, and are thrilled he will be here.”

According to a March 3 press release, the singer’s list of backing musicians for the Sunflower River Blues festival includes guitarist Justin Adams. He’s a confirmed member of the Sensational Space Shifters, Plant’s new group, which will make its public debut in late July at the Womad festival in the United Kingdom.

Really? Walking into Clarksdale is for Clarksdale Miss? Is this true?

Yes.

If so, then Plant's fascination with Americana music is nothing new.

Which is exactly what myself and other posters have been saying for quite some time now. The influences evident on Dreamland, Raising Sand and Band of Joy were also very evident in Led Zeppelin, particularly albums like Led Zeppelin III.

So is he putting BOJ on hiatus while he does this other thing?

Who knows? So far, there's only two dates that have been announced (at least that I'm aware of) so it's not like he's mounting a full scale tour with the Sensational Space Shifters. Prior to this he formed another new band (that also included Patty Griffin) called Crown Vic. During the last tour with Band of Joy, Plant revealed in an interview that he and Buddy Miller were writing new, original material. You never know with Plant but it would nice if that actually made the light of day at some point whether it be on tour or on a future Band of Joy (or whatever Plant choses to call it) album.

Percy actually playing a gig in Clarksdale MS. seems to be a natural organic thing for him to do. My stepdaughter lives in Jackson, I'll call her to see if she can get tickets to this. Time for me to take a roadtrip I hope.

Hopefully some dates in the NE USA. Would love to see him for the umpteenth time. Could be a quite interesting band, when somewhat combining the BOJ with elements of the SS. I certainly welcome it and can't wait to hear how this sounds in a live environment. Now will Robert be Walking or Running into Clarksdale for this show? Considering how his attitude has been over the last several years it will be running!

If he doesn't annouce a tour by then I'll probably drive down there from KC. I've never seen any member of Led Zeppelin in concert and I will one way or another.

Sigh.

Still holding out for a reunion? It ain't gonna happen. I applaud Robert for not giving into the pressure of money/millions of fans and doing a reunion tour with JPJ, Page and Jason. In his mid 60s he is still exploring new musical avenues and constantly re-inventing himself and not living in the past. The same can't be said for Jimmy Page, who for years has been saying hes been working on new material that has never materialised.

Still holding out for a reunion? It ain't gonna happen. I applaud Robert for not giving into the pressure of money/millions of fans and doing a reunion tour with JPJ, Page and Jason. In his mid 60s he is still exploring new musical avenues and constantly re-inventing himself and not living in the past. The same can't be said for Jimmy Page, who for years has been saying hes been working on new material that has never materialised.

Well said Tom and I completely agree with you. Too bad what you said about Jimmy, but unfortunately it seems true. Not sure if we'll ever get new music from him. Even a little would be good. Most people his age (at 68) are into retirement or aren't far from it. I think David Bowie said he is pretty much retired now. He's probably just a few years younger than JP.

I'm still curious as to why Robert feels he cant explore his musical muse with Jimmy and John Paul. I read somewhere Robert said he doesnt have much in common with the guys, I only wish he would be more precise about in exactly in what way.

Musically? I honestly find that hard to believe.

Much of what Robert has done in the past decade and even earlier Zeppelin had touched upon in one form or another during its career, Folk, Country, blues ect. Hell I think he actually has a lot in common musically with JPJ, maybe even more than Jimmy. He said in an interview not long ago he felt his and JPJ's musical universe's had "crossed" or something to that effect. So I just dont think its a musical "tasts" barrier that prevents a get together. IMO (and I hope its not true) but his continued aversion to playing music with the boys in ANY manner, part time or full time, in my mind gives creedence to the persistant rumour that he simply doesnt get along with them. I hope thats not the case, but people do change so its possible.

It cant be the idea of theres no new music to play either. I known for a fact that Jimmy Page stated in an article in 2004 that he would not do any sort of get together without new music to back it up. His quote was along the lines of "I wont tour relying on songs written 30 years ago" or something to that effect.

I like Roberts direction, the guy wants to keep going musically until he drops. I just cant figure out why he insists that it cant be done, at least part of the time, or anytime, with Jimmy and JPJ. (And no it doesnt have to be a "Led Zeppelin" reunion in my mind either.)

^ Because the expectations would be there.....with that said, it would have been nice for JPJ and Plant to have done something over the years, especially with how much they worked together making ITTOD.

Hope Robert comes this way sooooooon!

:)

Robert-Plant_Dave-Hogan_Getty-Images.jpg

Dave Hogan, Getty Images

Blues music has always been important to Robert Plant, and the same can be said of Clarksdale, Mississippi. Not only has Plant been there more than once to explore its deep blues history, he and fellow Led Zeppelin legend Jimmy Page honored the city by naming their 1998 joint studio effort ‘Walking Into Clarksdale.’

Clarksdale is where Plant will be in August when he headlines the 25th anniversary edition of the Sunflower River Blues and Gospel Festival.

“This is spectacular news,” longtime festival co-chairman Melville Tillis said recently. “We have been in dialogue with Robert Plant for several months, and are thrilled he will be here.”

According to a March 3 press release, the singer’s list of backing musicians for the Sunflower River Blues festival includes guitarist Justin Adams. He’s a confirmed member of the Sensational Space Shifters, Plant’s new group, which will make its public debut in late July at the Womad festival in the United Kingdom.

This is exciting news...even though his past projects (RS and BOJ) have been interesting..I prefer this direction with members of Strange Sensation again. I saw Robert and Strange Sensation on The Mighty Rearranger tour in 05..in London Ontario...excellent!!!

J :thumbsup:

Archived