2012 Baseball Thread

Bong-Man

The central really is shit. I blame it on the Royals. (see stats below). I still think there is funky shit going on with the West only having 4 teams. <_<

Since the 1998 division re-org:

AL WEST (overall win % = 0.517)

First place (9 of 14)

Second place (3 of 14)

Third place (2 of 14)

AL CENTRAL (overall win % = 0.482)

First place (0 of 14)

Second place (5 of 14)

Third place (9 of 14)

AL EAST (overall win % = 0.511)

First place (5 of 14)

Second Place (6 of 14)

Third Place (3 of 14)

Love your signature. How did you do that? Hoping the Orioles start a winning streak in Tampa

The AL West won't have 4 teams for much longer. Either next season or the season after that, the Houston Astros are moving to the AL West, adding a 5th team to that division, and making the NL Central a 5-team division like all the rest. Then there will be 15 teams in each league and maybe just maybe, we'll finally have a fucking balanced schedule.

The AL West won't have 4 teams for much longer. Either next season or the season after that, the Houston Astros are moving to the AL West, adding a 5th team to that division, and making the NL Central a 5-team division like all the rest. Then there will be 15 teams in each league and maybe just maybe, we'll finally have a fucking balanced schedule.

Wow. I did not hear this. I wonder why they would put Houston in the West? Not as crazy as having Winnipeg still in the East in hockey. That has to change soon.

Natural rivalry vs. Texas, I would think.

Precisely. Next on the agenda, get rid of the DH. I don't know why AL pitchers can't bat. They have to in Interleague play when in the NL park, and of course during the ASG/WS when played in NL parks....so why can't they do it all the time? Failing that, give the NL the DH as well.

There's a whole host of things I'd love to see changed in MLB, but I know they won't happen.

Precisely. Next on the agenda, get rid of the DH. I don't know why AL pitchers can't bat. They have to in Interleague play when in the NL park, and of course during the ASG/WS when played in NL parks....so why can't they do it all the time? Failing that, give the NL the DH as well.

There's a whole host of things I'd love to see changed in MLB, but I know they won't happen.

Ptchers used to bat, AND there were commonly utilized 4 man rotations, AND complete games were not headline material.

Wow. I did not hear this. I wonder why they would put Houston in the West? Not as crazy as having Winnipeg still in the East in hockey. That has to change soon.

Okay... now I know no one reads my posts.

Next year, when the leagues go to 15 teams each, there will be interleague play every day. I've heard it suggested that the leagues be disolved and regional divisions set up, like the other 3 leagues. While I love tradition, I think this would be a good idea. Just gut the whole thing and start from scratch.

It won't happen, but a girl can dream. It will just go on in the same half-assed Bud Selig manner...

Next year, when the leagues go to 15 teams each, there will be interleague play every day. I've heard it suggested that the leagues be disolved and regional divisions set up, like the other 3 leagues. While I love tradition, I think this would be a good idea. Just gut the whole thing and start from scratch.

It won't happen, but a girl can dream. It will just go on in the same half-assed Bud Selig manner...

[100% interleague is too much of a change for me]

[i don't mind the DH]. [i think the league realized *most* people are more interested in seeing the ball get past the mound].

[i actually like the difference between AL and NL]... [them being different gives it some character, and also a point to have separate AL/NL], [at least for me].

I read your posts, ebk.

That's why I've been preparing for Houston's arrival next year. Rick, Houston going to the West ain't so far-fetched...they've been there before, when they were in the NL West for the beginning of their existence.

Edited by Strider

It will be next season, and for Rangers fans its great news. Texas always seems to beat the Astros.

It's really a non-issue.

If the Rangers play and beat the Astros, then that's a few less times they get to play and beat some other team.

Actually, it's good for every team except for the Astros.

Its makes the Rangers / Astros games have meaning. Since the 90's they have had a six game meaningless series, the Rangers lead this 41 - 30.....but no one gives a crap about it up here due to the Astros beig in the NL.....that will all change next year....and it looks like a cool ballpark down there, worth taking the kids on a road trip for a few games.

Was standing in line with my son at McDonalds on Thursday. We ordered and moved over to wait for our stuff. I look at the next guy ordering after me, and realize it's Justin Verlander! Another guy introduced himself and shook his hand. Verlander was polite enough, but didn't look like he wanted to be bothered much more, so I didn't say anything. I just kept staring at his arm, thinking "man, it doesn't look very special, how does he DO that??"

Was standing in line with my son at McDonalds on Thursday. We ordered and moved over to wait for our stuff. I look at the next guy ordering after me, and realize it's Justin Verlander! Another guy introduced himself and shook his hand. Verlander was polite enough, but didn't look like he wanted to be bothered much more, so I didn't say anything. I just kept staring at his arm, thinking "man, it doesn't look very special, how does he DO that??"

[in boston or detroit]?

I think if I was in McDonalds and say, CC Sabathia walked in, I'd probably faint. Kudos to you though, for not getting all fangirly on him, and kudos to him for eating at Mickey D's like everyone else.

Detroit. Troy, MI actually.

he's always around the area here... (I also live in the area).

A friend texted me while he was at Coyote Joe's with Kate Upton a few weeks ago... would have been fun to witness.

On a side note, it's just the 5th inning but if tonight's game keeps going this way pretty soon I'll be putting on my no-hitter pants for Fister...