2012 Baseball Thread

Bong-Man

Ha. You are scolding me for my memories as a 9 year old? I cant remember what happened five minutes ago!! ha. Ok, 71 was the year the Pirates came back from 3-1. I saw the whole thing. Its not easy to remember exact years. In many sports they overlap anyway. Anyway, to me the 70 series was the sweetest for me. The "Brooks Robinson" series. Remember those plays he made? Remember the one on Bench? One he one hopped to Boog and we nailed him.

If I didn't carry ID, I wouldn't be able to remember my name :D

I think the 1970 series was when they started calling Brooks "Hoover" - or maybe that's when it gained greater usage. Good times!!

I love it when the Yankees lose... Even better when they get swept! Classic case of a bunch of individuals NOT playing as a team

Looks like it's gonna be a 2006 World Series rematch

I believe I heard on the radio this morning that they had the lowest team post season batting average in history.

I will leave that with no comment...

I believe I heard on the radio this morning that they had the lowest team post season batting average in history.

I will leave that with no comment...

EBK, so where are you going with this? Are you having doubts? We are going to be even better. These young pitchers are going to grow up fast having just taken the Yankees to the limit. Migues Gonzalez, I am so impressed with this kid I cant begin to tell you. Now Mr Bundy is waiting in the wings. Weiters and Davis and Jones will supply power. Do not forget in your stats that we were 2nd in the major leagues in Home runs. SECOND!!!!! 51 Saves for Johnson!!!! We are only beginning

I love it when the Yankees lose... Even better when they get swept! Classic case of a bunch of individuals NOT playing as a team.

They batted horribly, don't know how your point is proven. They had the best record in the AL over 162 games, I'll take that as playing as a team, anyday....

They batted horribly, don't know how your point is proven. They had the best record in the AL over 162 games, I'll take that as playing as a team, anyday....

New York, Baltimore and Oakland all had better records than the Tigers. But look who is going to the dance. If we had not blown game 3 we had them. No way Detroit would have swept us. But is over. I hope the Tigers win. I do not like the two national league teams but they cannot be discounted. Especially after they both knocked off Texas the last two years.

No Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter was a mortal blow to the Yankees.

Sorry, Walter...I know you're a true Yankee fan and not a bandwaggoner, so I know you hurt. Please don't take my anti-Yankee bias as anything personal towards you. But the Yankees goose was cooked as soon as Jeter went down. Who was left to rally the troops and show some fire in their belly? Nick Swisher? A Rod? Not bloody likely.

Rick and ebk, I'm no expert but I am confident the Orioles are more than a one-year flash-in-the-pan. Not just because of their youthful foundation and pitching...but also because these aren't your usual Yankees.

Say what you will about George Steinbrenner, but the man wanted to win and he would do anything to make the Yankees winners. I don't sense the same passion for baseball and winning from these new owners. They seem more interested in the bottom line and worrying about the luxury tax.

Memo to the Angels: DO NOT GO AFTER A ROD NO MATTER WHAT NEW YORK OFFERS!!!

No Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter was a mortal blow to the Yankees.

Sorry, Walter...I know you're a true Yankee fan and not a bandwaggoner, so I know you hurt. Please don't take my anti-Yankee bias as anything personal towards you. But the Yankees goose was cooked as soon as Jeter went down. Who was left to rally the troops and show some fire in their belly? Nick Swisher? A Rod? Not bloody likely.

Rick and ebk, I'm no expert but I am confident the Orioles are more than a one-year flash-in-the-pan. Not just because of their youthful foundation and pitching...but also because these aren't your usual Yankees.

Say what you will about George Steinbrenner, but the man wanted to win and he would do anything to make the Yankees winners. I don't sense the same passion for baseball and winning from these new owners. They seem more interested in the bottom line and worrying about the luxury tax.

Memo to the Angels: DO NOT GO AFTER A ROD NO MATTER WHAT NEW YORK OFFERS!!!

Somebody will be stupid enough to go after him. I just pray its not the Orioles

I don't take it personally, Strider, but some comments have been misguided in both fact and emotion. People are gonna playfully hate each other's teams - some are a bit vicious, but not your comments. I agree with your comment about the younger Steinbrenner's attitude. Whatever, season's over for now - spring training will be here before we know it and another trip to Legend's Field in Tampa.

I don't take it personally, Strider, but some comments have been misguided in both fact and emotion. People are gonna playfully hate each other's teams - some are a bit vicious, but not your comments. I agree with your comment about the younger Steinbrenner's attitude. Whatever, season's over for now - spring training will be here before we know it and another trip to Legend's Field in Tampa.

I think my "dislike" of the Yankess is genetic :)

Maybe we can see a game together in Tampa in March!!

Not so fast....I get to have some fun first. The Detroit Tigers now own the longest playoff winning streak against the Yankees in their history at 5 games. We've also won three playoff series in a row against the evil empire....'06, '11, and '12. The Tigers have never lost a post season series to the Yankees. You see Walter and Tull Boy..........The Yankees are our bitch ! :lol:

I couldn't help thinking that as I watched the listless Yankees that what that team needed was Billy Martin ! No offense to Joe Girardi, and I know he was going thru some personal issues, but I don't think he's the style of manager that team needs right now.

On October 19, 2012 you are probably right. I thought the whole time the Tigers were catching the shite sox, they would be trouble in the playoffs. Christ, they were the odds on favorite before the season started. They underachieved most of the season and have gotten hot at the right time. Kinda like the NY (football) Giants last season.

At the end of the day, I'll take the Yankee championships, amazing finishes and rich history over winning/making the World Series one season, when they overachieved to get to the ALCS and had the best league record. I'll be glad to see A-Roid go ASAP! He's a disgrace to the pinstripes!

I think my "dislike" of the Yankess is genetic :)

Maybe we can see a game together in Tampa in March!!

I understand. People love to hate them more than some love to root for them!

That would be fun! I took my son to a Yanks/O's preseason game there for his first ever game. Had baseline seats on the Yanks side and Granderson personally signed a ball to him!

That would be fun! I took my son to a Yanks/O's preseason game there for his first ever game. Had baseline seats on the Yanks side and Granderson personally signed a ball to him!

I respect and like the 1927 Yankees. The Steinbrenner Yankees I hate. Baltimore is my team until the end. Its been a long wait with alot of bad seasons since 1983.

I couldn't help thinking that as I watched the listless Yankees that what that team needed was Billy Martin ! No offense to Joe Girardi, and I know he was going thru some personal issues, but I don't think he's the style of manager that team needs right now.

Think they could really do with Thurman Munson more than Billy Martin. The problem with the Yankees isn't their manager, it's the lack of players who are team leaders. With the exception of Jeter, they have no one else in their line up that even remotely comes close to fitting the bill. A-Rod :thumbdown: ! There's been enough said about him.

So you live near Tampa Walter? Never would have guessed that. It must be tough to go into an enemy stadium wearing the colors of the opposing team. I did it once in 1985 in Philly. I am luckey to have escaped alive. They both stunk in those days so that helped. If I did it again I would be toast. Too many of them know who I am now in Philly. And its not a good thing.

I still think baseball should be over by now. Just like hockey should end before June. Its ridiculous. Does it feel like baseball season to you? They need to roll it back a few weeks. They could schedule the season to start a couple weeks earlier and play the first few weeks in warmer weather cities and indoor venues. And then they could be playing more games in the north when the brutal heat kicks in. Football is the only sport where they begin and end the season at just the right time.

How about taking the season from 162 to about 140. Too long for sure! It'll never happen though...

Rick, I live in Orlando. Go down there all the time with opposing teams swag. Tampa fans are not very intense, certainly not like Philly - but who is! :blink:

I agree about the Munson comment! One of my all-time favorite Yankees, have a couple of jersey's that commemorate him.

I agree about the Munson comment! One of my all-time favorite Yankees, have a couple of jersey's that commemorate him.

Even Reggie listened to Thurman :lol: .

First of all, congrats to the Tigers. During the season, statistically the Yankees were by far the better team (check the team statistics on Yahoo sports), but the Tigers are playing well and the Yankees stunk up the joint.

With the exception of maybe A-Rod, I don't see how anybody can say they dislike or hate any member of the Yankees. Going back to the mid-90's, O'Neil, Martinez, Bernie WIlliams, Mariano, Jeter and the current group are all likable guys. On the other hand Reggie, Nettles and even Munson had abrasive personalities.

Going back to the 60's, the Giants are my favorite NL team. I hope they can beat the Cards, If not, I'll be rooting for the Tigers.

How about taking the season from 162 to about 140. Too long for sure! It'll never happen though...

Rick, I live in Orlando. Go down there all the time with opposing teams swag. Tampa fans are not very intense, certainly not like Philly - but who is! :blink:

Damn, you are in Orlando? Wish I had known in Sept. I was at Sea World.

Whenever the Yankees do well in the Play-Offs, they have that that air of invicibility around them, look like an unbeatable unit. The Detroit pitching was good, but looking at the Yankees batting line-up; if I was a fan, I'd want/expect at least one of those guys to take the responsibility and bring the players together to push the team forward

But if the Tigers sweep the World Series with their Pitchers throwing a few shutouts, I'll let them Yankees off the hook

I'm afraid this layoff could hurt the Tigers no matter who they play. Here's hoping for a Giants victory tonight.

Are you kidding me? How could this hurt Detroit? They get to set their pitching rotation exactly how they want, get their bullpen rested, as well as any players that had any lingering or nagging aches and pains.

Meanwhile, whatever team wins tonight won't have the luxury of having fresh arms for the World Series. If San Francisco wins, they won't be able to use their ace Cain until Game 3...unless there is a rainout or two.

I'd rather see a Tigers-Giants World Series, so I want San Francisco to win tonight.

But whither Tim Lincecum? A couple years ago he was on top of the world...now he's toast. What a difference a year makes. Trying to remember a young pitcher that lost it so quickly like Lincecum seems to have.

Archived