What is the worst concert you attended

Just curious, the worst one I went to was Todd Rundgren in Liverpool in about 1974 I'm not sure exactly, it was awful all he was doing was standing on the top of a pyramid shaped frame and jumping down using a safety harness whilst still playing the guitar, it was so bad my mate and I walked out at the interval and went to the pub.

Just curious, the worst one I went to was Todd Rundgren in Liverpool in about 1974 I'm not sure exactly, it was awful all he was doing was standing on the top of a pyramid shaped frame and jumping down using a safety harness whilst still playing the guitar, it was so bad my mate and I walked out at the interval and went to the pub.

Two gigs come to mind both in our great city of Liverpool. The first would be Deaf School at the Empire 1977, far too arty farty for my tastes. The other would be Tangerine Dream at the Royal Court 79 or 80 that was incredibly boring it did'nt help that our seats way way up in the Gods...near vertical seating you could almost put your feet on the person in front of you's head.

I don't think I've ever left a concert half way through(that I can remember), but I went recently to see a pink floyd tribute band called "The Pink Floyd Experience" and my friend and I left at intermission. We've seen other Pink Floyd tribute bands like "Great Gig In The Sky" and another one, and they were both good, but the "Pink Floyd Experience" left alot to be desired, they disappointed.,

Oh man! Aerosmith, 1978 in San Francisco (well actually in South San Francisco, Cow Palace for you locals). It was awful! They were SO out-of-it-loaded-on-heroin. Joe Perry could barely stand, he sat on the drum riser for most of the show. Plus the sound was so bad. And the crowd was STUPID DRUNK! We were all waiting outside in this huge horseshoe-shaped line with the porta-pottys in the center. At one point everyone thought it would be "cool" to throw all their bottles at the toilets. Some poor dude came out of one of the pottys and was engulfed by a wave of glass shards. You should have seen him dive back inside that stinky thing. Worst. Show. Ever.

Damn shame too since their show in Boston of that year is awesome.

I guess I've been lucky... I never went to a show that I didn't at least like.

But if I had to pick one .... ELP. Black Moon Tour Mansfield Mass June 92

They played real well but all through the show, the sound was way too thin... I was in the 3rd row so it wasn't too bad where we were sitting... but you could tell something was up.

It must have sounded like crap way in the back ...

On the last song... the sound guy went .... "oh what's this switch?" flicked it on and ... the sound was incredible....

He forgot to turn on the Bass Bins... I was sitting so close that I could see him doing it.. the poor guy looked like he wanted to die.

The groan from the crowd was incredible. not really the bands fault but it did kill the mood.

Carl Palmer was one of my all time favorite drummers ... but he had a bug up his ass that night.. I lost a lot of respect for him.

Bonham opened for ELP supporting their Mad Hatter album... they were very good...

Jason Bonham played real well. His growth as a Drummer from The Outrider Tour to this show 4 years later was huge.

The second time I saw the Rolling Stones (2005, I think). They were somewhat boring and I hated the setlist. You know it was bad when the opening band, the John Mayer Trio, was better than them. I'm not a fan of John Mayer either. Btw, I saw them on the Steel Wheels Tour and they were fantastic!

The Stones at Knebworth wasn't worth waiting an eternity for. As were the New Barbarians supporting Zep at knebworth, absolute shite.

An awful one though was Cozy Powell's Bedlam in the 70's. It was so loud and it was actually Bedlam.

A one day festival at Port Vale football club with Mahogany Rush Triumph and Motorhead was pretty abysmal and somewhat deafening.

Meatloaf in Seattle late 70's I think it was....He came out onstage actually eating a plate of meatloaf. Show was pure garbage and I vaugly remember folks laughing at him and walking out. It was one of those promo shows that Seattle had going promoting new bands....it was like $3.00 to get in......... Black Sabbath 1978 Seattle. The band was wasted beyond belief and just stood stoically playing loudly with no emotion. Left after 3 songs......VH was the opening band and they were fantastic!

Pete Best in the 90s. Left after 15 minutes. :slapface:

After all he is only a second rate drummer hanging off the coat tails of his former band mates.....and we all (should) know who they were.

AC/DC in Roanoke in the mid 80s. Sounded terrible. Close second to the Cars and their total lack of animation/audience interaction.

Yea it's my understanding that the Cars actually have a big reputation for being boring in concert.

Hmmm, where do I begin. Let's start with the Rush "Grace Under Pressure Tour." You are correct, this stunk and as a Rush fan (still am), was a huge dissapointment...it was all synths all night! Next years Power Windows Tour was much better.

Van Halen in 1984 for the 1984 Tour. Horrible!!! Worst concert EVER! EVH was so wasted he made Page during the infamous 1977 Seattle concert look like Steve Vai. I mean this guy was BAD (see, um, drugs are bad, mmmkay). DLR was not singing great and kept looking at EVH like he wanted to kung fu his ass.

Aerosmith in 1990. Just plain unispired, boring, and flat. The Black Crowes opend for them on this tour and they were electric, amazing! About half-way through the Aerosmith set the majority of the crowd left.

The Eagles in 1994 Heall Feezes Over Tour. Again, boring and uninspired. Don't get me wrong they played very well, actually too well. You could not tell the difference between the concert and simply putting on the god damn album. Also, Glenn Frey is a TOOL! There was no between song banter, Frey would simply walk up to the mic between songs to introduce the next song like this, "Hotel California." That's it! And the one time Joe Walsh started to try and liven things up with some humorus banter, Frey gave him a major stink eye. No more banter after that. The Eagles can kiss my ass too because these dickheads are the ones responsible for driving ticket prices up to where they are today. Prior to this show the most I ever paid for a concert was $25, after this show you could not see a major act for under $50. Fucking corporate whores!

I guess that I wouldn't call the Alice Cooper concert that I went to at the Saint Paul Civic Center in April of 1978 the absolute worst concert that I've been to, that honor would go to Molly Hatchet, but the worst concert experience I ever had was that Cooper show.

We were sitting to the right of the stage, a couple of sections back and probably in about the 15th row up. Alice was doing his encore "Schools Out" when some trouble maker, under the bleachers, set off a canister of tear gas a section closer to the stage from where we were sitting and a few rows back. My friends and I were all on this seemingly miracle making little blotter thingy, which made it all surreal, when the smoke, that at first seemed like part of the production, started rising from below. At first we're pointing at the smoke, and commenting 'wow, how cool, what a trip, etc.' when the smoke started burning the hell out of our eyes, noses, throats, lungs--it took us a little longer than most that it was freaking tear gas! People in our area started evacuating the arena. I distinctly remember Alice Cooper screaming out "Saint Paul you suck" as a couple of handlers were dragging him off stage to safety. I think he thought that it was some big conspiracy against him unless the effects of the tear gas had already made it that far to the stage? It was a really terrific show up until the tear gas because all of the stage illusions that Alice employed: beheading himself; giant teeth attacking and Alice fighting back with a giant toothbrush to the root of the tooth (rather perverse really); running through screens; etc..

We all made it outside, together as a group somehow. When I think about it now, the six of us had to be a hilarious scene to the older people because each of us very very young teenage boys were equipped with our own bottle of Visine, feverishly squirting the life saving liquid into our eyes. This time not to hide our bloodshot eyes from our parents but to try and stop the burn.

Anyway, a bunch of people were sitting in the street protesting about getting money back or something so we thought why not and sat down with them. Turned out that a few hundred people were protesting until the police with their billy clubs, horses and paddy wagons showed up and pretty much decided, for us anyway, that our protest was over--we got up and moved away quickly! We caught the bus home, the rest of the evening must have been pretty uneventful because nothing more stands out in my memory.

Ah, the good ol' 1970's! :party:

Some years later I was searching to see if anyone else from the crowd that had been to that concert ever put the experience up online. I found an entry from Dave Pirner of Soul Asylum had been interviewed and mentioned it. He seems a lot better at keeping a short story, short, than I am. His interviewer wrote:

THE FIRST CONCERT YOU EVER WENT TO?: "Alice Cooper at St. Paul Civic Center. We got tear-gassed, and the crowd had to leave just as he started playing 'School's Out.' Somebody smuggled in tear gas and let it off as some sort of prank. That's bad stuff, tear gas. I was thinking, 'Wow, this is what rock concerts are like?' It totally freaked me out. I was just a little kid. I mean, seeing a horde of people running was a terrifying thing."

Slash's Snakepit, opening for AC/DC in 2000. I love Slash but his band was absolute crap. Too loud and too distorted. The singer said, "How ya doin' Philly?" and we collectively said "Fuck you!" We booed them relentlessly, which is a shame but they were terrible and thankfully they disbanded not long after. I still remember turning to a friend after they finished and asking if they played any Guns. He said, "Yeah, they just closed with Mr. Brownstone." I couldn't tell.

Archived