Why DOESN'T Pagey Do Something?

Steve and I don't always see eye to eye, but I believe he's right. Jimmy's been working on old and not new stuff. I would love to see/hear him play again. He's the ultimate musician for me.

And yet clearly he brought new songs to the jam sessions with Jones and Jason, and claims to have many new songs. Somewhat puzzling that he doesn't want them to see the light of day in some fashion. I keep coming back to the thought that he's in a "Zeppelin or nothing" frame of mind when it comes to recording new music.

And I really like the acoustic piece on the IMGL DVD extras. If that's what he's been up to I'd love to hear more...

And yet clearly he brought new songs to the jam sessions with Jones and Jason, and claims to have many new songs. Somewhat puzzling that he doesn't want them to see the light of day in some fashion. I keep coming back to the thought that he's in a "Zeppelin or nothing" frame of mind when it comes to recording new music.

And I really like the acoustic piece on the IMGL DVD extras. If that's what he's been up to I'd love to hear more...

I agree,

I think they worked on that stuff together didn't they? I don't remember that Jimmy brought the songs and they worked on them? Am totally prepared to admit bad memory here though.

Hey Knebby, I can't find it but I remember Jason saying after the jam sessions ended that Jimmy had a bunch of great stuff and he was under the impression that now Jimmy would take them in an acoustic direction. And of course Jimmy has made lots of references to having a "menu" of new songs. Sorry I don't have a link!

Agreed Steve, that wasn't my point. My point is that he by all accounts HAS music he COULD record and release. For whatever reason, he just doesn't.

He has desperate studio instrumental jams with a deceased percussionist recorded 12 years ago & acoustic dirges like Embryo 1, Embryo 2 (both of which have been released).

He has desperate studio instrumental jams with a deceased percussionist recorded 12 years ago & acoustic dirges like Embryo 1, Embryo 2 (both of which have been released).

I take umbrage with word "desperate”, unless you know something from Page himself - I’m picking up a sense of opprobrium from your choice of words.

Edited by Charles J. White

I take umbrage with word "desperate”, unless you know something from Page himself - I’m picking up a sense of opprobrium from your choice of words.

Desperate strictly in the sense his primary musical foil, Robert Plant, was already gradually slipping away from him.

The plug was pulled on an April 1999 tour of Japan, Robert remarking "there are only so many springtimes" before going on holiday with his girlfriend at the time.

In May 1999 Jimmy & Robert were to reconvene to write but Robert cancelled at the last minute, counter-offering with August.

In July 1999 Jimmy and Michael embarked on what was to be a third Page/Plant album.

In August 1999 Robert's decision to leave had become final.

I'm nitpicking but Embryo 1 and 2 are not acoustic, and have not been released. Unless you count short snippets in IMGL.

Well he's not talking anything up right now is he?

So we don't need to go round expecting anything .... except "bam"!

Good point and I've learned over the years to never expect anything.

Ever since Jimmy Page talked up a double album in 1978 dealing with the 4 seasons, chock full of incredible guitar synth work and we got In Through The Out Door, I've learned to take what he says with a grain of salt..

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's making this stuff up. It just doesn't quite pan out for whatever reason.

Ever since Jimmy Page talked up a double album in 1978 dealing with the 4 seasons, chock full of incredible guitar synth work and we got In Through The Out Door, I've learned to take what he says with a grain of salt..

On the other hand, do you remember since when Jimmy had talked about the wish to release a chronological live album ?

If I remember it accurately, it was as early as the second half of the seventies ... And when did it came as a reality, this project ? ............ 2003, with the double dvd, nearly 25 long years after having firstly thought about it !

So, I think this example demonstrates that even if a very long time is running between beginning to talk about a project and really turning it into reality, this is definitely NOT a factor for dismissing it in the first place. The only major objection to this reasoning being that Jimmy, just like everyone here, is no immortal, so time is no more on our side .... This fact explaining maybe a bit why some internauts here are so nervous about the topic of Jimmy apparently doing nothing ...

Edited by seaweed gate

On the other hand, do you remember since when Jimmy had talked about the wish to release a chronological live album ?

If I remember it accurately, it was as early as the second half of the seventies ... And when did it came as a reality, this project ? ............ 2003, with the double dvd, nearly 25 long years after having firstly thought about it !

I see this as an apples to oranges comparison.

The chronological live album required the involvement, consent and support of his band mates, and one reason it took so long to come to fruition is that the support was not originally there. Solo ambitions are generally far less complicated in this regard.

I don't think Jimmy wants to put out a solo album and, as I've said before, I'm pretty convinced he's now focused on Led Zeppelin. Today, a Belgian website, rtbf.be, publishes this information : Warner will release in November a double dvd from the Led Zeppelin 2007 show in London !

http://www.rtbf.be/classic21/article_le-live-2007-de-led-zep-bientot-en-dvd?id=7832707

• 1 month later...

There may be a personal reason why Jimmy is not recording or planning any gigs (so far as we are aware). I am not saying a personal consideration is the only reason, however back in February/March of this year, a schoolboy at a very expensive private school in Berkshlre put it on Twitter that he had been asked to show Jimmy round the school because Ashen was starting there in September 2012. Up until now, Ashen has been at school in Sussex while living with his mother. The new school (which I am not going to name, nor give a precise location) is about a 10 minute car journey from his father's country home. That suggests to me that the boy will be a day pupil, rather than boarder, and if so, would require Jimmy to be near to home, as he would be a single parent.

I am sure there are a multitude of reasons for JPP's inactivity and this may be one of them.

It doesn't mean he's inactive, he might record his ideas, but spending time with his kid's going to be priority. I thought he talked about putting a new band together with mostly unknown names in it and not a supergroup. How much time does he need now to work on anything Led Zep-related apart from promoting the film and DVD, which is more by choice on taking part in it?

All I really want from Jimmy at this point is a DVD of Pontiac, or something (anything!) from '77 to be officially released. After all the big deal that was made about the DVD and HtWWW, I don't understand why he wouldn't think "hey, there's a lot of demand for LZ concert albums, I should put out some more!"

I agree with this. Release some earlier U.S. tour live stuff. Pleeeeese.

Trampled Under Foot. My Zeppelin Tumblr essay.

http://petedelorean.tumblr.com/

How many soundboard concerts do the band actually have? They prob. could do a "bootleg series" through the official site and touch up some of the better audience recordings out there.

We'll see the Zeppelin catalogue remastered & reissued first before any 'beat the boots' type projects.

We'll see the Zeppelin catalogue remastered & reissued first before any 'beat the boots' type projects.

How many times can you remaster something? No.

Jimmy is for all the bootlegs if they are non-profit unless it is known that it was pro-recorded he won't just release any old soundboard, we have copies that are as perfect as they are going to get anyway.

Edited by TheStairwayRemainsTheSame