BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

A big bowl of split pea soup and a glass of California Zinfandel. Cakebread Cellars 2010.

With October and the cooler crisp weather of autumn at last arriving at Southern California's doorstep (although it can never be mistaken for a New England autumn), it is prime time for conjuring up soups. Bring out the beans, lentils, veggies, soup stocks and bones.

I like to make a big pot to last me through the week. I had a bag of split peas laying around and whipped up a pot earlier today. Threw in a nice big ham hock and a pinch of curry powder.

Tuna salad on Rosemary Olive bread. Tomato soup. Ice tea.

Tuna salad on Rosemary Olive bread. Tomato soup. Ice tea.

Don't know why Strider's post showed up twice. My notebook is extremely sensitive.

Anyway, what do you put in your tuna salad, Strider?. It is probably something very exotic. I just use the tuna in the bag and dump Hellman's mayo on it, a little sea salt, and chopped onion. Quite yummy to me.

^^^

Nothing exotic. Either Hellman's or Best Foods is my mainstay mayonnaise for tuna salad. On occasion I will use Miracle Whip, especially when I'm feeling nostalgic...loved Miracle Whip as a kid. Some relish, chopped onion, sea salt or Himalayan salt, and lemon pepper, mix it all up and I'm good to go.

For the tuna, I use strictly white albacore packed in water, no oil.

Dinners for the weekend:

Tonight: Omelette Arnold Bennett. A delish mixture of undyed smoked haddock, cream, parmesan and lemon. Home made baton of crusty bread

Tomorrow: Momos, Tibetan dumplings with a spicy lamb filling. Tibetan chilli dipping. Followed by Lamb Rogan Josh. From scratch, this is a fiery deeply red curry with Kashmiri Chillies. To finish: Minish. A cream, rosewater and saffron desert with Pistachios on top. I am preparing this today for tomorrow.

Sunday: A Roast Chook. All the trimmings.

Now wine to go with the above??? Not decided yet

Edited by chillumpuffer

Dinners for the weekend:

Tonight: Omelette Arnold Bennett. A delish mixture of undyed smoked haddock, cream, parmesan and lemon. Home made baton of crusty bread

Tomorrow: Momos, Tibetan dumplings with a spicy lamb filling. Tibetan chilli dipping. Followed by Lamb Rogan Josh. From scratch, this is a fiery deeply red curry with Kashmiri Chillies. To finish: Minish. A cream, rosewater and saffron desert with Pistachios on top. I am preparing this today for tomorrow.

Sunday: A Roast Chook. All the trimmings.

Now wine to go with the above??? Not decided yet

A splendid repast. Bon appétit et joyeux anniversaire!

Edited by Strider

Black rice pudding. Which is not really a pudding, but more like a plate of blackish purple mush. I love this stuff though .... and it's even good for me. I simmer it in water with a couple of kaffir lime leaves, a star anise, 2 cardimon pods, scraped vanilla bean seeds and a little brown sugar, then add coconut milk after it's reduced and cooked.

Black rice pudding. Which is not really a pudding, but more like a plate of blackish purple mush. I love this stuff though .... and it's even good for me. I simmer it in water with a couple of kaffir lime leaves, a star anise, 2 cardimon pods, scraped vanilla bean seeds and a little brown sugar, then add coconut milk after it's reduced and cooked.

Oh Joy C. A fusion between Thai and Indonesian. Sounds yummy. Kaffir lime is one of my all time fav herbs.

Last evening was a re heat of the Lamb Rogan Josh we had at the weekend. I added a sweet Potato to bulk it out and had a couple of Chapattis. It was still hot and well spicy. I recommend Rick Steins India book which I am ploughing through with gusto. I have already used 2 packets of Kashmiri chilli powder. SPICY