Jimmy Page named best guitarist ever.

RTHB

I looked it up. Apparently, it's some sort of Portugean news website. It translates roughly to "Diary of the Center of the World".

thanks very much....I'm gonna go back in later and translate the page...peace LD!

thanks very much....I'm gonna go back in later and translate the page...peace LD!

No problem! :peace:

For anyone who wants one, here's a translation of RTHB's last post:

"Full explanation with the valuation table (where the various scores come from) and the rest of the list can be found at this link. (link)

http://www.diariodocentrodomundo.com.br/?p=20612 "

By the way, I can't actually speak RTHB's language, I just run his text through Bing Translate.

• 4 weeks later...

For my money...Steve Vai...Joe Satriani...Joe Bonamassa...Dave Ulrich...Eddie VanHalen...etc...plenty of people doing stuff Page never tried...but Page is the clearly the one that has generated the most money...

...and was undoubtedly a major influence on all of the above.

Sure, we talk a lot about how 'sloppy' Jimmy could be at times (mainly due to his numerous vices) but the man's track record speaks for himself. Hell, as far as I'm concerned Page deserves the top spot simply based on "Achilles Last Stand" alone...

Amen When page is "on" he is phenomenal ...Late 70'sThe 80's early 90's maybe some of te vices creeped in but He blew me away on Celebration Day...As much as I love LZ when I walked into the theater it surpassed any hope I had ...and Hendrix had he lived would have let "sloppiness " catch up to him too-not to be crass but its easy to be proclaimed "greatest" when u make 3 albums and pass away.....always liked Jimmy's sound and style better

Duane Allman should be in the top 10 if not the top 5. Saw Van Halen 7 times and he is truely amazing. Ritchie Blackmore I saw twice, once with Deep Purple and once solo (Rainbow), another great guitarist. Brian May? I had a chance to see Queen in 1979? And didn't... :( Saw Jimmy twice, '73 and solo with The Firm. Yeah even if he wasn't #1 he's still in REALLY good company!

Jeff

Well their can't be much credibility to this source, as much as I agree Page is the best ever, how the hell can anyone have Keith Richards over Eric Clapton? That is a joke. And I dont think its fair to put Hendrix higher than Clapton. He did not have enough, He died young. Randy Rhodes has to be on the top ten if this is the case. Stevie Ray Vaughn too. Page and Clapton will always be 1-2 on my list. Then its open to much debate.

I noticed that there are no greats from about 1985 on. When these guys are gone, who will take their places?

Absurd!!!

Well their can't be much credibility to this source, as much as I agree Page is the best ever, how the hell can anyone have Keith Richards over Eric Clapton? That is a joke. And I dont think its fair to put Hendrix higher than Clapton. He did not have enough, He died young.

I agree about the Richards bit, but I think it's insanity to put Clapton over Hendrix. Hendrix may be short on material, but most of it is revolutionary. Also think Hendrix's short career works much to his advantage in the comparison. He never had time to dwindle and while Clapton's had some hits and success, but nothing as great as the stuff he made with Cream or Derek and the Dominoes.

Hell, as far as I'm concerned Page deserves the top spot simply based on "Achilles Last Stand" alone...

+1,000. Achilles is truely the masterpiece of masterpieces. I feel like that even with Stairway and Kashmir, Achilles is an unparalleled champion of everything that Zeppelin could be and was, and ever achieved. The driving motions of that song are like no other, (until Iron Maiden came around...) and the emotions interwoven into that song are just so powerful. The drama of it all plays out like a greek tragedy. Just as Robert and Jimmy said, it's a cry from the depths. Jimmy worked so hard on that song, (not to mention the mind-blowing drumming that Bonzo so graciously delivered, and the underrated bassline that Jonesy so skillfully lays down!) that it upsets me almost that outside of the fandom, it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I've listened to it so much, and in so many ways, it's become a part of me. TBH, I wouldn't trade Robert's broken leg for all the what-ifs and what could have beens if it meant losing that song.

Page for me is the best 'riff' guitar player of rock music, the one that is able to write (and record) great riffs but technically he's far from the top (also in rock music).

No, technically Page is not a great guitarist, but compared to these technical wizards like a Steve Vai, for example, I'd reckon Jimmy Page has had way more influence on guitarists,and ultimately that's why he always gets a top spot in these kinds of polls. I'd say feel goes a lot further than technique.

I agree about the Richards bit, but I think it's insanity to put Clapton over Hendrix. Hendrix may be short on material, but most of it is revolutionary. Also think Hendrix's short career works much to his advantage in the comparison. He never had time to dwindle and while Clapton's had some hits and success, but nothing as great as the stuff he made with Cream or Derek and the Dominoes.

Clapton's entire reputation is really based on about the same amount of output Hendrix had- the John Mayall album, Cream and Layla. Eric's been coasting for over thirty years IMO. I'm sure if Hendrix had lived he would have ended up doing his fair share of coasting too...it just happened that the records Jimi did make were really revolutionary, and that's why he still usually comes up as one of the top guitarists of all time. Live, Hendrix could be just as sloppy and/or erratic as Jimmy Page.

+1,000. Achilles is truely the masterpiece of masterpieces. I feel like that even with Stairway and Kashmir, Achilles is an unparalleled champion of everything that Zeppelin could be and was, and ever achieved. The driving motions of that song are like no other, (until Iron Maiden came around...) and the emotions interwoven into that song are just so powerful. The drama of it all plays out like a greek tragedy. Just as Robert and Jimmy said, it's a cry from the depths. Jimmy worked so hard on that song, (not to mention the mind-blowing drumming that Bonzo so graciously delivered, and the underrated bassline that Jonesy so skillfully lays down!) that it upsets me almost that outside of the fandom, it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I've listened to it so much, and in so many ways, it's become a part of me. TBH, I wouldn't trade Robert's broken leg for all the what-ifs and what could have beens if it meant losing that song.

Jimmy Page would agree with you, Sue, "Achilles Last Stand" is -understandably- his favourite Zeppelin song, and Presence seems to be the album he's most proud of making. I think Presence really is Page's "Here's how great I am" statement, even more than the second or the fourth albums.

Whoever put this crap list together knows nothing about music!

Where the hell is Alvin Lee (Ten Years After) and Michael Schenker (UFO)? These two are constantly being left off "greatest guitarist" lists, and that's just absurd!

What about these guys? Mike McCreedy (Pearl Jam), Robert Fripp (King Crimson), Frank Zappa, Buddy Guy, Randy California, Jerry Garcia, and many, many more.

Why does B.B. King constantly show up in the top 10? He may be the most overrated guitarist ever.

How does a Ramone make the list?

Here's my take on this horrible list:

1) Jimmy Page (69) - I agree!

2) Jimi Hendrix (68) - I concur! Page & Hendrix will always be my 1a. & 1b.

3) Brian May (66) - #3? That's laughable

4) Eddie Van (66) - My pick for most overrated guitarist of all-time!

5) BB King (65) - No F'n way!

6) Chuck Berry (64) - Not top 10

7) Keith Richards (64) - Laughable

8) Ritchie Blackmore (63) - Top 10? Maybe

9) Angus Young (63) - Everything he does sounds the same (overrated)

10) Pete Townshend (63) - Top 10? No

11) Eric Clapton (62) - I'm not a big Clapton fan, but I do like certain things, and he belongs in the top 10.

12) Jeff Beck (62) - Beck belongs in the top 10!

13) David Gilmour (62) - Underrated! Top 10? Maybe

14) Wes Montgomery (61) - huh, no

15) Ry Cooder (61) - not top 20

16) Mark Knopfler (60) - I can name 50 better

17) Peter Frampton (60) - now I want to vomit!

18) Slash (60) - not top 18!

19) George Harrison (59) - not a top 50 guitarist.

20) Duane Allman (59) - this ranking is reasonable

21) Ron Wood (59) - NO

22) James Burton (59) - Not top 22!

23) John Frusciante (59) - see above!

24) Sérgio Dias (59) - Don't know enough about him

25) Robert Johnson (58) - not a top 50 guitarist

26) Steve Ray Vaughan (58) - Stevie is top 5!

27) Andy Summers (58) - LOL, NO

28) Allen Collins (58) - I believe they mean Albert. Collins is good, but not top 28

29) The Edge (58) - undecided about this ranking. Edge relies on effects. The next time he goes up & down the fret will be his first.

30) Johnny Ramone (57) - not top 1,000!

31) Tony Iommi (57) - 31? Too low!

32) Carlos Santana (57) - he could be a tad higher

33) Joe Welsh (57) - I want to say they mean Walsh, not Welsh. Joe is an underrated guitarist. Listen to "The Bomber" or "Turn To Stone" & you'll say he's top 20.

34) Albert King (57) - about right

35) Eric Johnson (57) - undecided

36) Kirk Hammet (56) - my favorite member of Metallica. Kirk is a good one!

37) Don Felder (56) - he's ok

38) Dave Grohl (56) - doesn't belong in any guitarist list. Now for his drumming he's top 10

39) Kurt Cobain (55) - love Nirvana, but Cobain isn't a top 500 guitarist

40) Alex Lifeson (55) - I've come to appreciate Alex as time goes by. He's a top 25 guitarist, maybe higher.

41) Chet Atkins (55) - not top 50

42) Les Paul (55) - I'm ok with this ranking

43) Mick Taylor (55) - top 50?

44) Neil Young (54) - The sloppiest guitarist ever. I love him though.

45) Steve Vai (54) - Technically he should be much higher

46) Derek Trucks (54) - not a top 50 or top 100 guitarist

47) Randy Rhoads (53) - I'm not a fan. Not top 50!

48) Tom Morello (52) - Tom belongs in the top 25 or so

49) Steve Morse (52) - Not top 50

50) Freddy King (51) - undecided

I will just say this:

I agree with Jimmy Page being ranked as the #1 guitarist of all-time.

However, I do not agree with a ranking of the 50 greatest guitarists of all-time that leaves out Joe "Fucking" Perry. Especially the great Joe Perry of the Aerosmith of the 1970's.

I would also rank Tony Iommi and Alex Lifeson alot higher on this list.

I do think that Robert Johnson, however limited his discography is, deserves a ranking.

One more thing. I have seen Joe Walsh live three times, once from the front row, and Joe Walsh is one hell of a great guitarist. Alot better than some who have been placed before him on this list.

Its so hard to say who is the best ever but page definately is up their and if you look at his overall ability then me personaly would say he is my number 1 , blackmore is definately a more technicaly gifted player but overall he just falls short of jimmy but only just, iommi is top ten for sure, love gary moore and leslie west too, my music tastes are very stuck in the 60s and 70s but I love metallica and kirk hammet is one of my favs

Archived