The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

On 5/4/2023 at 12:23 AM, SteveAJones said:

I'd like to post to the Zeppelin Mysteries Thread but it seems some 50 years after the release of the debut album there's very little left unsaid or unsolved. Much of what is not known is only known by the band members themselves, and they aren't telling, or others who are long since deceased.

I can understand that. I just feel like you have always come up with some gem that we didn’t know, or maybe we had forgotten. Either way, I know it is a lot of work. Thanks for the threads/posts Steve. Lots of people here enjoy them, and I think we are getting new members that would like to have some information on the band. But again, I get that it is actual work coming up with it. I’m still holding out hope for Mr. Strider to give us his 72 memories. Not kissing anyone’s ass on this forum, but there are a group of you that I remember reading from the old board, and a bunch of you are still around. It’s cool for the younger generation to be able to soak up the information while you guys are still active on the forum. 

Thanks again. 

2 hours ago, Plant77 said:

I can understand that. I just feel like you have always come up with some gem that we didn’t know, or maybe we had forgotten. Either way, I know it is a lot of work. Thanks for the threads/posts Steve. Lots of people here enjoy them, and I think we are getting new members that would like to have some information on the band. But again, I get that it is actual work coming up with it. I’m still holding out hope for Mr. Strider to give us his 72 memories. Not kissing anyone’s ass on this forum, but there are a group of you that I remember reading from the old board, and a bunch of you are still around. It’s cool for the younger generation to be able to soak up the information while you guys are still active on the forum. 

Thanks again. 

Who died?

7 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Thanks again. 

The younger generation is only here to find free ringtones. They don't know Peter Grant from Peter Pan.

Lions great Ed Flanagan dies at 79 (msn.com)

His twice a year battles with Dick Butkus were legendary, and both were on the field when Chuck Hughes died.  He was from Altoona, Penn.  The home of 'the horseshoe curve'.  I've got his 1970 football card stashed in the attic somewhere.  4 Pro Bowls and a 12 year career don't get you Hall-of Fame consideration when you play for the sad sacks.  RIP Ed

flanagan.jpg

Unless I overlooked it in reids' Rigors, 
two notabe sports figures from my youth recently passed.

Vida Blue and Joe Kapp.

Vikings lost to Lenny Dawson's  KC Chiefs in SB III.
Vida Blue playe one season of Minor League ball in Birmingham. 10-3.

On 5/11/2023 at 6:41 PM, jabe said:

Unless I overlooked it in reids' Rigors, 
two notabe sports figures from my youth recently passed.

Vida Blue and Joe Kapp.

Vikings lost to Lenny Dawson's  KC Chiefs in SB III.
Vida Blue playe one season of Minor League ball in Birmingham. 10-3.

Joe Kapp was the man. Saw Vida pitch for SF at Candlestick back in the day. 

15 hours ago, redrum said:

Joe Kapp was the man. Saw Vida pitch for SF at Candlestick back in the day. 

I was fortunate to meet both these men several times. Mr.Kapp owned a restaurant down the street from where I lived for a while in Mountain View. It was called Kapps. Great Pizza. He would also come and speak at our school as a scared straight kinda of thing at my High School. Vida was a great ambassador of the game and having won 3 championships in a row for my A’s was a beloved figure in the Town. Even though he ended up working for the Giants after retiring he would Make several trips to the coliseum and was always really cool to younger kids looking for an autograph or just taking time to talk. Sad to see all these guys from that generation passing away.  

47 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Aha! I was wondering when someone was going to mention his death. I can't keep up with all of the deaths lately and so have pretty much let reids carry the load, only popping in every now and then. I was going to give it one more day and then check this morning and if there was still no mention of Kenneth Anger's death, then post an obituary. But you beat me to it.

As for his death, I refer to Bette Davis' words when hearing of the passing of Joan Crawford. "You should never say bad things about the dead. Only good. Joan Crawford is dead. Good."

I had some personal interactions with Kenneth Anger, as did many of my friends. It usually wasn't pretty. The guy almost always smelled like piss. The Euro artsy types loved him, natch. Good riddance.

1432095224_72bd2f456a_b.jpg.1ff3bd5280c6ae46c56525a4caca8a99.jpg