Any Drinkers here?

kingzoso

Mostly I.P.A. and bourbon for me! But for hot California summer days I love tequila with white grapefruit juice and a dash of Triple sec. Anyone tried a Negroni? One shot each of: gin, sweet vermouth and Campari.

Edited by chef free

• 2 weeks later...

I like Bourbon and Absinthe myself, Basil Hayden and Booker's are my favorite Bourbons. Used to be a bartender in my college days and I still love me a Mint Julep more than any other drink, though a well made Sazerac is might fine. Must use Rye for the Sezerac though, and the Absinthe is only to coat the glass.

Anyway, for those southerners out there (hello TypeO) and other Bourbon lovers, here is my secret recipe for the perfect Mint Julep:

One tumbler glass (short fat glass), two tablespoons of soda water and two teaspoons of natural, raw sugar. Take fresh mint leaves (about twelve) and add to mixture. Take pestle and muddle mixture in glass (crush up). Let sit for five minutes to release mint. Fill glass with ice to top, then fill entire glass with straight Bourbon. Take mixture and transfer to shaker, shake very well and strain into Collins Glass (tall, skinny glass), then add ice and garnish with mint leaf.

When finished the concoction should look like Mississippi River water, carmel colored and muddy with tiny bits of mint leaf floating about. This will taste like heaven on earth for Bourbon lovers (of course it will taste like shit if you don't like Bourbon). To me this is the essence of old South romance, reminds me of long nights in Chatsworth Georgia on the porch with friends looking out at the most vibrant green-blue landscape while hearing the crickets sing and watching the fireflies dance in mid-air. Ahhh, glorious magic of those Southern nights. How I miss my Georgia peaches!!!

Ps. If you want the Sazerac recipe PM me, it's too complicated to post at this hour :drunk: Too much Bourbon in me!

I like Bourbon and Absinthe myself, Basil Hayden and Booker's are my favorite Bourbons. Used to be a bartender in my college days and I still love me a Mint Julep more than any other drink, though a well made Sazerac is might fine. Must use Rye for the Sezerac though, and the Absinthe is only to coat the glass.

Anyway, for those southerners out there (hello TypeO) and other Bourbon lovers, here is my secret recipe for the perfect Mint Julep:

One tumbler glass (short fat glass), two tablespoons of soda water and two teaspoons of natural, raw sugar. Take fresh mint leaves (about twelve) and add to mixture. Take pestle and muddle mixture in glass (crush up). Let sit for five minutes to release mint. Fill glass with ice to top, then fill entire glass with straight Bourbon. Take mixture and transfer to shaker, shake very well and strain into Collins Glass (tall, skinny glass), then add ice and garnish with mint leaf.

When finished the concoction should look like Mississippi River water, carmel colored and muddy with tiny bits of mint leaf floating about. This will taste like heaven on earth for Bourbon lovers (of course it will taste like shit if you don't like Bourbon). To me this is the essence of old South romance, reminds me of long nights in Chatsworth Georgia on the porch with friends looking out at the most vibrant green-blue landscape while hearing the crickets sing and watching the fireflies dance in mid-air. Ahhh, glorious magic of those Southern nights. How I miss my Georgia peaches!!!

Ps. If you want the Sazerac recipe PM me, it's too complicated to post at this hour :drunk: Too much Bourbon in me!

Now, just you listen. I know all about these southern drinks, I must say. I gave the recipe for a Sazerac on another thread. It was invented at the Roosevelt Hotel in the Sazerac Lounge in the great city of New Orleans. A Ramos Gin Fizz is far superior to any other kind of fizz, IMHO.

Down the hatch, Sag-man. I was a bartender as well, what do you think of that? :drinks:

Now, just you listen. I know all about these southern drinks, I must say. I gave the recipe for a Sazerac on another thread. It was invented at the Roosevelt Hotel in the Sazerac Lounge in the great city of New Orleans. A Ramos Gin Fizz is far superior to any other kind of fizz, IMHO.

Down the hatch, Sag-man. I was a bartender as well, what do you think of that? :drinks:

What d I think of that? Well, I hope you had better luck than I, that is what I think! In Chicago all the choice bartending jobs back i the late 80's went to the sexy ladies, or in the case of high end restaurants, older and very experienced ladies and gentlemen. So, I wound up at the Galaxy Bowling alley on Theodore St in Joliet, two miles down the road from Statesville Prison. The bar was a slaughterhouse. I actually came in to apply for a bouncers job however they took one look at my 5'11" 185 lbs frame and said no way (the smallest bouncer was 6'2" and 250 lbs). They did however offer me a job as a bartender even though I had zero experience (well, I did open beer cans at parties) so I figured what the heck. One of the bouncers took pity on me and instructed me what to do and what NOT to do in certain situations. I was told under no circumstances was I to try and break up fights and most importantly, NEVER turn your back on a pissed off woman in particular. I learned the hard way on that last one.

One night a recently paroled guy and his lady friend were at the bar drinking shots, neither one was talking at all. After about 20 min the guy (a little dude, about 125 soaking wet) hauls off and busts the woman square in the nose...blood flying everywhere! I vault the bar, grab the guy and start screaming what the hell is your problem as I begin to throw him out. Just then (as my back was turned of course) this woman, about 95 lbs, jumps on my back and proceeds to beat the living shit outta me, scratching, gouging, punching, kicking, biting...the full monty! I could not get this woman off of me to save my life (which was soon to come to an end) but then one of the bouncers came, ripped this woman off my back, and throws her about 10 feet through the air. She lands back first on a two top ( I seriously thought this should have killed her or paralyzed her in the least), tumbles to the ground, jumps up like some possessed fucking cat, and runs balls out of the bar...gone!

So there I a standing looking like a seriously chewed up piece of meat and the bouncer who saved me smiles and said, "it's bad enough you ignored rule number one, but never ignore rule number two...a woman will fuck up a man quicker that Mike Tyson if she sets her mind to it."

So, that was me bartending experience! Rough guys, even rougher women, and never once during my year and a half as a bartender did I have a Cocktail (movie) moment. No hot ladies vying for my attention (there were none in that joint), and not a single Piper Parabo on the staff, actually the two ladies we did have working looked more like Roseanne.

Good Times :injured:

Edited by Sagittarius Rising

Yeap! I do drink and smoke and sometimes admire a pretty woman walking on by...... :angel:

Bloody Mary if someone is buying.....

I have been drinking beer since I was 13 years old, and smoking Marlboro Reds since I was 18.

This is kinda sad to say but I have done just about every "illegal" drug that there is. However, I am Proud to say that I never got "addicted" to any particular substance that I very much enjoyed.

Maybe except my favorite, which is the All-Mighty Budweiser. Even still, I am not dependent on any of the substances that I have done in the past. And many of those "substances" have been known to hook a person and keep them a prisoner. Thank GOD, that never happened to me.

I have a steady job and a social life and some $ saved up. If I am content with that, then I see no problem there. I know that there are many, many Americans that may (or may not) agree with what I said but that is Life. (I wish I was a Millionaire) but I am not.

If I was a Millionaire, I could resort to my fun time and crazy antics (which I always enjoyed), but maybe with a very severe and different consequence.

Regardless, my favorite "HIGH" is drinking beers and listening to the "Mighty Led Zeppelin" while watching "Breaking Bad".

Edited by kingzoso

What d I think of that? Well, I hope you had better luck than I, that is what I think! In Chicago all the choice bartending jobs back i the late 80's went to the sexy ladies, or in the case of high end restaurants, older and very experienced ladies and gentlemen. So, I wound up at the Galaxy Bowling alley on Theodore St in Joliet, two miles down the road from Statesville Prison. The bar was a slaughterhouse. I actually came in to apply for a bouncers job however they took one look at my 5'11" 185 lbs frame and said no way (the smallest bouncer was 6'2" and 250 lbs). They did however offer me a job as a bartender even though I had zero experience (well, I did open beer cans at parties) so I figured what the heck. One of the bouncers took pity on me and instructed me what to do and what NOT to do in certain situations. I was told under no circumstances was I to try and break up fights and most importantly, NEVER turn your back on a pissed off woman in particular. I learned the hard way on that last one.

One night a recently paroled guy and his lady friend were at the bar drinking shots, neither one was talking at all. After about 20 min the guy (a little dude, about 125 soaking wet) hauls off and busts the woman square in the nose...blood flying everywhere! I vault the bar, grab the guy and start screaming what the hell is your problem as I begin to throw him out. Just then (as my back was turned of course) this woman, about 95 lbs, jumps on my back and proceeds to beat the living shit outta me, scratching, gouging, punching, kicking, biting...the full monty! I could not get this woman off of me to save my life (which was soon to come to an end) but then one of the bouncers came, ripped this woman off my back, and throws her about 10 feet through the air. She lands back first on a two top ( I seriously thought this should have killed her or paralyzed her in the least), tumbles to the ground, jumps up like some possessed fucking cat, and runs balls out of the bar...gone!

So there I a standing looking like a seriously chewed up piece of meat and the bouncer who saved me smiles and said, "it's bad enough you ignored rule number one, but never ignore rule number two...a woman will fuck up a man quicker that Mike Tyson if she sets her mind to it."

So, that was me bartending experience! Rough guys, even rougher women, and never once during my year and a half as a bartender did I have a Cocktail (movie) moment. No hot ladies vying for my attention (there were none in that joint), and not a single Piper Parabo on the staff, actually the two ladies we did have working looked more like Roseanne.

Good Times :injured:

:hysterical::hysterical::wave: Sag, what an experience, but it happens. The only scary experience I had (I was tending bar in my family's restaurant) was a woman in military uniform try and come over the bar after me. She had decided she was in love and would not take "no" for an answer. I ran out of the bar and told my brother who promptly grabbed the woman by her collar

and seat of her pants and tossed her out the door onto the oyster shell covered parking lot. :mad: Everyone laughed about it but me. I had a Jack Daniels shot and went back to work. :blush:

:hysterical::hysterical::wave: Sag, what an experience, but it happens. The only scary experience I had (I was tending bar in my family's restaurant) was a woman in military uniform try and come over the bar after me. She had decided she was in love and would not take "no" for an answer. I ran out of the bar and told my brother who promptly grabbed the woman by her collar

and seat of her pants and tossed her out the door onto the oyster shell covered parking lot. :mad: Everyone laughed about it but me. I had a Jack Daniels shot and went back to work. :blush:

No kidding, as crazy as my experiences were I was still a man and could defend myself. Women bartenders always take much more shit and have to worry about the creepers both during, and end of shift. I have always been respectful of bartenders and never hassled them, if they come to me for conversation that is one thing, but I know they have a job to do so I never engage outside of please and thank you.

I must admit, I love a good, old fashioned, classy upscale hotel bar the best. The Palmer House in downtown Chicago is my all time favorite, however Durant's in downtown Phoenix, Huber's in Portland, and of course The Spotted Cat and Fritzel's in New Orleans are all damn good!!! Honorable mention to Sweet Lorraine's.

Edited by Sagittarius Rising

• 2 months later...

So what is everyone drinking on Thanksgiving. I am drinking red wine as usual. Napa valley, Cabernet, Fransiscan and another one from the valley I forget the name of. Also some Burgundy from France. Louis Jadot. I will bring some Pinot Grigio for white drinkers. Maybe white Zin. Between the Turkey and wine I can never make it through the night game. Baltimore and Pittsburgh is not my cup of tea anyhow. I will watch the Lions. And I guess I should be cheering for Dallas just in case my Bills do run the table, for a wild card if possible.

• 10 months later...

Dang, lookie who created this thread. I often buy a red wine from Napa Valley called Franciscan that is dry and bold and smooth. I was given another brand a couple years ago that was no doubt a gift given out as a gift (you know, someone gets a gift they will never use and they turn around and take the cheap way out and give it to someone else). It was 2010 so it was a dead give away. I am going to look and see if I can remember. But if I cannot. Any suggestions? I will only buy Napa Valley or French for a Red. My wife found on she likes. Asti something. Not the sparkling wine Spumanti. And I am going to give my daughter a couple bottles to bring to NY City as she is here this weekend. coming a week before I fly there. I was terrified she may be pregnant. Whew. Her husband is going to the Bills game. No ticket for me though. Oh well

Dang, lookie who created this thread. I often buy a red wine from Napa Valley called Franciscan that is dry and bold and smooth. I was given another brand a couple years ago that was no doubt a gift given out as a gift (you know, someone gets a gift they will never use and they turn around and take the cheap way out and give it to someone else). It was 2010 so it was a dead give away. I am going to look and see if I can remember. But if I cannot. Any suggestions? I will only buy Napa Valley or French for a Red. My wife found on she likes. Asti something. Not the sparkling wine Spumanti. And I am going to give my daughter a couple bottles to bring to NY City as she is here this weekend. coming a week before I fly there. I was terrified she may be pregnant. Whew. Her husband is going to the Bills game. No ticket for me though. Oh well

Maybe it's an Italian wine - Barbera D'Asti? I love Italian reds!

I recently and temporarily switched from My usual Budweiser (1 case = $20.56) or Bud Ice (2 25oz cans for $3.25) beers. I have been buying Rolling Rock beer that is brewed in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. I used to drink a lot of Rolling Rock when I was in high school and lived in New Jersey. That was in the late 1980's.

I now live in Plano, Texas and re-discovered Rolling Rock after more than 25 fucking years. Just the nostalgia of remembering about drinking the beer makes it good, regardless, Rolling Rock is just a great beer in general (to Me).

A 30-pack of RR is the same as a 24-pack of Budweiser where I live. 30 beers for $20.56.

GO CARDINALS!!!

^^^

Haha, we were drinking Rolling Rocks while watching the football games today! Always have had a soft spot for RRs after a friend in the Army from Mead, PA introduced me to them.

Regarding good California Cabernets...here is a list of my tried-and-true favourites...my go-to wineries:

Heitz Cellars

Far Niente

Frog's Leap

Cakebread Cellars

Robert Mondavi Estate

For more cheaper yet still good Cabernets, there are:

Cupcake

Hess Select

Clos du Bois

• 1 year later...

My daughter and her husband were in from the Big Apple and I picked up a bottle from Napa Valley.  Fransiscan.  Oakville Estates, 2012.  Very good Cabernet.  While at liquor store a couple from Detroit and I were talking about the Lions meltdown and then about some wine.  They have ICE Wine and I had never seen or heard of it.  She says its from grapes harvested after the first frost and is very good.  One starts with an I, and is if I see it I will know the name. I intend on buying it the next trip there which will be soon.  The California reds have all gone up about $5 a bottle.  Likely due to the fires out there