Robert Plant slams idea of Zeppelin tour

mookieblaylock

I think his feelings for "Kashmir" are that it's the quintessential Zeppelin song. So he only plays it with Zep. That's the feeling I've gotten from his comments at least.

I think his feelings for "Kashmir" are that it's the quintessential Zeppelin song. So he only plays it with Zep. That's the feeling I've gotten from his comments at least.

I would rather hear him play Slow Dancer, which has many similarities. Kashmir is kind of sacred in some respects, and best left to Zep, IMHO.

You have a good point! Slow Dancer or Calling To You would be good substitutes with the Eastern feel.

I wonder what Glen Fry, Don Henley, and Joe Walsh think about Robert's comments on

them "being bored" so they got the Eagles back together.

Robert has a flair for pissing off other musicians with his personal views on the state of

classic rockers. Even IF it were true that the Eagles members were bored...it's not for

Robert to take them to task for it.

Again, no one is chasing Robert for his upcoming material and tour so he sounds "pissy".

I for one cannot wait for his new stuff, but it looks like I'm in the minority.

I passed it along to Jack Tempchin, who's been writing with Glenn Frey for 40-something years. It's good fodder for a band rivalry. When the documentary came out about the breakup and reunion, I didn't get the impression they did it out of boredom, but my opinion is that Don Henley had great success and Glenn Frey didn't, but he was in no rush to reunite. Glenn's manager brought everyone together and Glenn was the last one they contacted, but he had just gotten married and wasn't into going back to work with his former bandmates just yet. Joe Walsh was also in pretty rough shape and I think that set things back.

It wasn't about money, they were doing fine not working together and having royalty money come in, but something about the country tribute album wound up leading to give it another try. It's also having your music played to a new generation of faces, and I think as far as Plant was concerned, he accomplished that with the Plant/Page tours, and doing the O2 the one time only also had to do with how they came off at Atlantic 1988 and Live Aid (where JPJ was relegated to keyboards).

Even though Jones is the one we don't really hear about often, he's the most prolific and probably busier than Plant and Page in the various projects he's involved in.

It wasn't about money, they were doing fine not working together and having royalty money come in, but something about the country tribute album wound up leading to give it another try. It's also having your music played to a new generation of faces, and I think as far as Plant was concerned, he accomplished that with the Plant/Page tours, and doing the O2 the one time only also had to do with how they came off at Atlantic 1988 and Live Aid (where JPJ was relegated to keyboards).

Even though Jones is the one we don't really hear about often, he's the most prolific and probably busier than Plant and Page in the various projects he's involved in.

Thanks for your take on the Eagles reformation but...Argh!

For the love of Bambi, JOHN PAUL JONES WAS NOT RELEGATED TO KEYBOARDS AT LIVE AID!!! Rolling Stone is full of shit. Anybody with eyes can clearly see John Paul Jones playing bass on Rock and Roll abd Whole Lotta Love. He moved to keyboards on Stairway to Heaven...just as he always had done. Another bass player was brought in to play bass on this song, yes, but it's not as if JPJ played anything differently.

Stop repeating this bullshit myth propagated by this Rolling Stone article.

Who the hell is Plant to pass judgment or make assumptions on the Eagles or any other band that want's to play their music around the world. They're bored? Not happy? Give me an effing break already....what an arrogant position to take. If it's not your thing its not your thing Rob, but to call out other acts......

Fucking unreal.

Who the hell is Plant to pass judgment or make assumptions on the Eagles or any other band that want's to play their music around the world. They're bored? Not happy? Give me an effing break already....what an arrogant position to take. If it's not your thing its not your thing Rob, but to call out other acts......

Fucking unreal.

So Planty made a throwaway comment about the Eagles, big feckin' deal. He could have used the name of any number of Bands that have done the reunion thing, he just happened to pluck the Eagles as an example..

He must be sick to the back teeth of people constantly asking "that" question. Even after he gave his "ZERO" answer to the question it's still being asked. There is no arrogance in his stance on the position. How many times does he have to say that LZ are done as a working unit to get it into peoples heads that there will be never be another tour. Imho he's probably so pissed off that he will no longer even consider anymore one offs. RP is comfortable where he is with both his audience and his music why would he want to revisit something that would most likely turn into some rowdy scream fest.

You're not getting it. The deal is he doesn't need to site other bands so called intentions to validate his own reasons for not wanting to reform. Just state the obvious, don't want to go back there and I don't foresee anything fresh/exciting happening. All the other BS just makes him come off as an arrogant Jackass.

Robert helped manifest the "Beast" and now he stuck with its bones...He may as well accept that fact and not look

silly in not doing so.

In Robert's defense I believe he pushed back the release of his new SSS project in order for Jimmy to market and

see to the release of the new and improved Zeppelin I, II, and III. Mighty nice of him considering how belligerent he can be toward his past.

(note: When the great wooly mammoth died off its massive bones were frozen in ice only to be discovered by

modern man thousands of years later. For Robert, Zeppelin's "bones" are only 34 years gone, hope he's patient...)

In my way of thinking, I believe once Robert split Austin, he night flighted to the U.K. and simultaneously collaborated with Jimmy and JPJ on the new releases, created a new album, and reflected on the past 2-3 years.

Maybe.

You're not getting it. The deal is he doesn't need to site other bands so called intentions to validate his own reasons for not wanting to reform. Just state the obvious, don't want to go back there and I don't foresee anything fresh/exciting happening. All the other BS just makes him come off as an arrogant Jackass.

Oh I get it alright, It's you that doesn't. There is some thing very British about Plant's comment, his wry sense of humour or even sarcasm springs to mind. I'm not sure if you Americans get the British habit of using sarcasm/irony in our every day speech. Something that is often misunderstood and mistaken as being offensive by some folk.We often say thing's that mean something else, it's all about the tone you have to live with it to understand it.

I wouldn't take Robert's comments on the Eagles too seriously. To me, it seems he just through it out there. No big deal.

Bang on Dave, bang on. Good comment.

I wouldn't take Robert's comments on the Eagles too seriously. To me, it seems he just through it out there. No big deal.

+1 :yesnod:

Oh I get it alright, It's you that doesn't. There is some thing very British about Plant's comment, his wry sense of humour or even sarcasm springs to mind. I'm not sure if you Americans get the British habit of using sarcasm/irony in our every day speech. Something that is often misunderstood and mistaken as being offensive by some folk.We often say thing's that mean something else, it's all about the tone you have to live with it to understand it.

Now now JTM. The British don't own a patent on irony. Plenty of Americans get and use irony in their speech, as well. Just because a few get their knickers in a twist over a little Plantation doesn't mean we're all dunderheaded Yanks over here.

Hell, good ol' American David Lee Roth's old interviews with Van Halen used to be dripping in irony and taking the piss on boring old bands.

I thought initially there was going to also be a NY show along with the O2 show ?

There was an Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert held in the Rose Theater at the Time Warner Center in New York on April 17, 2007. However, Robert's intentions were to participate instead in a tribute being planned in England later that year. The rest is history.

Robert is Robert and his comments will always have that character to them: self deprecation, irony, a gentle way to position himself in a way which may sound appealing or contemptuous, depending on your viewpoint.

What stands out though, as day after day there is more evidence of Jimmy's massive PR mission, is how slight the others' contributions have been. Robert did the BBC, Rolling Stone, and perhaps we'll hear more from him here and there. But it's not on a great scale, and we've yet to hear at all from JPJ.

The contrast in their language is one thing, and they're each entitled to interpret things according to their take on those days ... but the simple act of a promotional effort is missing from two out of the three. After the (apparently) years of work Jimmy has put into this, the absence of the other two in giving it the final push looks so ungracious.

It seems that the event in Paris is the most public one, the nearest to a launch event. I hope Jimmy has a ball, but it's a huge shame the others won't be there.

+1 :yesnod:

Now now JTM. The British don't own a patent on irony. Plenty of Americans get and use irony in their speech, as well. Just because a few get their knickers in a twist over a little Plantation doesn't mean we're all dunderheaded Yanks over here.

Hell, good ol' American David Lee Roth's old interviews with Van Halen used to be dripping in irony and taking the piss on boring old bands.

Of course you are right many Americans do get and use irony just like many of us Brits don't. What's grinding me are all the Plant knockers, the ones that seem to think that he is somehow spoiling the party by refusing to get the Zeppelin train rolling again. I feel for all those that have never seen them, but I wish those that find it hard to accept RP's stance would just back off a little.

Oh and DLR, that bit on Fair Warning where he's taking the piss out his producer "Gimme a break Dave".." One break, comin' up"... Funny.

The contrast in their language is one thing, and they're each entitled to interpret things according to their take on those days ... but the simple act of a promotional effort is missing from two out of the three. After the (apparently) years of work Jimmy has put into this, the absence of the other two in giving it the final push looks so ungracious.

I wouldn't read into it. This reminds me of those who analyzed Celebration Day press conference seating to determine the state of the band's inter-personal relationships.

The Robert Plant dislikers bandwagon.......................ALL ABOOOOAAARD!

Boarding requirements:
If you like Pina Coladas
And getting caught in the rain
If you're not into yoga
If you have half a brain
No food or beverages served!

Last stop,Sadsville and all points inbetween.
Doesn't stop at the O2 Arena.

Are you referring to Jimmy Page?

No.I wouldn't be so bold as to suggest Jimmy's thoughts on Pina Coladas either.

Ah thanks for the info. Was worried it was because of ticket sales.

No worries. :)

Archived