Led Zeppelin reissues soar into the charts

admin

• Administrators

British rockers Led Zeppelin look set to score three albums in the Top 10 this Sunday according to new information released by the Official Charts Company.

Three of their albums have been reissued as deluxe editions and all of them appear to be making a mark on the Official Albums Chart Top 10.

At this midweek stage on the Official Albums Chart their self-titled album is currently sitting at Number (4) while ‘Led Zeppelin II’ and ‘Led Zeppelin III’ which sit at Number (7) and (6) respectively.

The Official Charts Company have revealed that when they were first released in 1969 their debut album peaked at number six while ‘Led Zeppelin II’ (1969) and ‘Led Zeppelin III’ (1970) both reached number one.

Overall the British rockers have managed to earn themselves a staggering 17 albums in the Top 40 with eight of those reaching the top of the charts.

June 4th, 2014 by Martin Lamont

http://primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk/led-zeppelin-reissues-soar-charts-sam-smith-holds-top/

Showed up at my local record store (yes, a few still exist) shortly after the doors opened and people were already in line with Vinyl and Deluxe CD versions. The guy ahead of me in the checkout line was looking for a Super Deluxe Box Set, but apparently there weren't any in the initial shipment.

Nice to see LZ can still move the merchandise in 2014.

^

Zep sure does. Both my local record store guys say that Zeppelin is still selling, with the young vinylophiles scooping up all the vintage LPs that come in. I bet the 180 gram vinyl LPs will be a big hit with that crowd as well.

Fantastic news! Some of us have been listening and following this music for over 4 decades and got it from the beginning! And for the newer fans you get to listen to these albums for the first time and I remember that feeling. I am so proud of them musically :hurrah:

Will be interesting to see how these sell in the first week according to the U.S. Billboard charts, when the figures are released.

Hi Dave. I checked Billboards online charts and nothing yet. Do you know when are they updated?

Cheers.

• Administrators
'Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)' tops HMV Canada CD sales chart

By: The Canadian Press | Thursday, Jun. 5, 2014

The following is HMV Canada's top 10 CDs based on national sales for the week ending June 7.

CDs

1 Led Zeppelin _ Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)

2 Led Zeppelin _ Led Zeppelin II (Deluxe Edition)

3 Led Zeppelin _ Led Zeppelin III (Deluxe Edition)

4 Ghost Stories _ Coldplay

5 Where I Belong _ Bobby Bazini

6 The Marshall Mathers LP 2 _ Eminem

7 Animal Ambition: An Untamed Desire to Win _ 50 Cent

8 Platinum _ Miranda Lambert

9 Turn Blue _ The Black Keys

10 Xscape _ Michael Jackson

'Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)' tops HMV Canada CD sales chart

By: The Canadian Press | Thursday, Jun. 5, 2014

The following is HMV Canada's top 10 CDs based on national sales for the week ending June 7.

CDs

1 Led Zeppelin _ Led Zeppelin (Deluxe Edition)

2 Led Zeppelin _ Led Zeppelin II (Deluxe Edition)

3 Led Zeppelin _ Led Zeppelin III (Deluxe Edition)

4 Ghost Stories _ Coldplay

5 Where I Belong _ Bobby Bazini

6 The Marshall Mathers LP 2 _ Eminem

7 Animal Ambition: An Untamed Desire to Win _ 50 Cent

8 Platinum _ Miranda Lambert

9 Turn Blue _ The Black Keys

10 Xscape _ Michael Jackson

Quite a few stores are sold out of the Deluxe boxes and will take your order if you care to wait two weeks. I picked the last copies at an HMV store in the east end of T.O... My only regret is not seeing it front and centre at Sam the Record Man on Yonge St. Unfortunately Sams is long gone. I can say it would not likely have been sold out after three days, honestly.... .

This is such good news, I looked for the chart status on release day, couldn't find it.

Been enjoying mine since about 11AM, release day, and before on cloud ( the original).

I hope they chart even higher, see there is still a BIG demand for Zep.

Is the official album charts for original unreleased material, or does it include rereleases?

I hope this does extremely well for the mighty mighty Zep (as our local rock station refers to them)

• Administrators

Led Zeppelin Reissues Set for Splashy Return to Billboard 200 Chart
By Keith Caulfield | June 06, 2014

Reissues of Led Zeppelin's first three albums are set to storm back onto the Billboard 200 chart next week. The three titles should re-enter the chart within the top 15, and have a chance at all hitting the top 10.

The albums, simply titled "Led Zeppelin," "Led Zeppelin II" and "Led Zeppelin III," could each sell around 25,000 in the week ending June 8, according to industry forecasters.

The new Billboard 200 chart's top 10 will be announced on June 11.

If Led Zeppelin nets three titles within the top 15 concurrently, they'll be the first act to do so since Whitney Houston scored four in the region following her death in 2012 (on the chart dated March 17).

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/record-labels/6113879/led-zeppelin-reissues-set-for-splashy-return-to-billboard-200

This is what must really burn Mick Jagger and Pete Townshend up, and probably why a hint of jealousy sneaks into any comments about Led Zeppelin made by the Rolling Stones and the Who.

For while there is no question that the Stones and the Who can get people to fill giant stadiums to see them in concert on a par with Led Zeppelin, they have never been able to translate those large concert crowds into album sales commensurate with Led Zeppelin. For whatever reason, when the Stones and Who remaster their catalogue, it doesn't hit with the same sales impact as Led Zeppelin.

Not even Pink Floyd's reissue series moved the sales meter like Led Zeppelin. Only the Beatles catalogue has the sales muscle of Led Zeppelin. The evidence is in...as the Beatles are THE band of the 60s, Led Zeppelin reigns as THE band of the 70s.

Billboard's online 200 chart apparently does not include reissues.

But they have an "official" 200 chart that does - and they've reported that there, Zep I, II and III came in this week at positions 7, 9, and 10, respectively.

(This is for the U.S.)

Also, they reported that 80% of the sales were physical items, not digital downloads (like iTunes).

Didn't know that about reissues on Billboard album chart, kind of a shame. That said, on the version of the Billboard chart that included them, would have expected them to all hit higher (due to greater scale of popularity in the USA historically), whereas they hit similar points as in the UK album chart.

Cheers,

Indi

Archived