ROBERT PLANT - LULLABY AND... THE CEASELESS ROAR

sam_webmaster

I found this sentence in the London Times review offensive:

"However exciting the sight of Plant pretending to be his 25-year-old self and screaming “bay-beh” in too-tight trousers for a Led Zeppelin reunion would be, this is surely a more dignified route for a 66-year-old former golden god to take."

I don't recall Plant pretending to be 25 or wearing too-tight pants at the 2007 concert when he was 59. Now that I'm 50 I also resent the notion that people of a certain age can't let loose. Certain behaviors are either dignified or embarrassing depending on what they are, not on the age of the person doing them.

A Stolen Kiss is an absolutely beautiful song, a masterpiece in my mind. His voice is both somber and angelic. Like someone said before, the album may not be groundbreaking, but I think this is a very good yield from Mr. Plant.

Somebody There does remind me of somebody here, so that's nice...Little Maggie is a good cover of the original...Pocketful of Golden is alright...I can't stand Rainbow...Turn It Up? "How about NO, Scott?"...and the rest of the album is filler.

Somebody There does remind me of somebody here, so that's nice...Little Maggie is a good cover of the original...Pocketful of Golden is alright...I can't stand Rainbow...Turn It Up? "How about NO, Scott?"...and the rest of the album is filler.

How many times have you listened to the album? It usually takes me a few plays before I start to familiarise myself with the songs & really get into it, to say most of the LP is 'filler' a day after its release seems a little negative to me. Although you did say you found the cover uninteresting a few weeks back so it's hardly a surprise you've gone into it with that attitude.

Anyway, to each his own - personally I can't wait to get home tonight to put it on again, Poor Howard was a particular highlight for me.

Getting the new Robert Plant album this morning...Amoeba will be open in a couple hours.

I see a lot of people down on the album already but I prefer to hear the album proper on a real stereo before rendering judgement. I find it hard to believe Robert and a band comprised of such wonderful musicians would make a dull album.

I'll be listening tonight with a bottle of Port and watching the Harvest Moon traverse the nighttime sky.

Hello:

I bought the cd prior to leaving London Ontario this am..I've heard the first three tracks...very nice..very relaxing... while driving through the countryside

I look forward to hearing the rest at home this evening with a glass of Ontario wine...

Juliet :toast:

Given it a few listens over the last couple of days and I think it's a truly phenomenal record. Definitely one you need to listen to a few times before you 'get' it. My favourites currently are Embrace Another Fall and Somebody There. Really like the use of the vocals from Life Begin Again in the former as LBA is one of my favourite Plant solo tracks.

I'm surprised at how different it is to Dreamland and Mighty Rearranger, was sort of expecting more of the same and the tracks he's been playing live from the record didn't seem overly different to that vibe. Having said that I'm very pleasantly surprised! It's certainly a first for RP musically in many ways, can't think of another solo record like it although I do get a bit of a Walking Into Clarksdale vibe here and there. I think it's great he's still exploring and experimenting at 66 and hope he continues to do so! He's one of the few 'old rockers' who's still doing different and exciting things. I can only think of the late Lou Reed prior to his death, Bob Dylan and Peter Gabriel. But yes very different to the previous SS stuff, crazy to think it was (pretty much) all the same musicians on his previous two 'rock' records.

I'm also surprised by how dark the record is, I think it may be RP's darkest record. Didn't he say it was heavily influenced by his recent breakup in a recent interview? It certainly sounds like it.

Surprised about the lack of love for Turn It Up. I thought that as it's a heavy blues/rock song (and thus the closest to Zeppelin) it would be the one people like the most...

So all in all, a stunning record. The guy has topped Mighty Rearranger!

Even though I am not a fan of RS magazine I did participate in this event today. None of my questions were answered by Robert but it was fun:-)

Robert Plant: I Want to Record With Jack White "I love Jack White's buccaneer spirit, and the way he dodges through the musical horizons," says Led Zeppelin rocker

BY DANIEL KREPS |

September 9, 2014

Robert Plant participated in a Facebook chat Tuesday morning to discuss his new album Lullabye and... The Ceaseless Roar, Nilgiri tea and European football, and revealed that he wants to record with Jack White in Nashville next week. "Would you consider working with Jack White at Third Man Records to record a single/album/anything," a fan asked, to which Plant replied, "I love Jack White's buccaneer spirit, and the way he dodges through the musical horizons. I'd be happy to make a single with him."

Plant went on to reveal that he'd be heading to White's native Nashville next week, and that he had already selected what track he wanted to record with White. "I'd like to do a track called 'Love Me' which was originally recorded by The Phantom," Plant wrote. "In fact, I'm going to Nashville on Sunday and can do it on Monday morning! I've got lunch with Alison Krauss at 2pm and cocktails with Patty Griffin at 8pm."

While Plant seems to have a collaboration with Jack White all ready to go, the bad news for the Led Zeppelin singer is that, according to White's tour itinerary, he'll spend Sunday, September 15th performing at Columbia, Maryland's Merriweather Post Pavilion, and Monday, September 16th in Cleveland, Ohio to play that night at the Jacobs Pavilion.

Other interesting things we learned about Plant from his wide-ranging Facebook Q&A: "Holidaying in Madagascar, I tried my luck as a cross dresser. It was before the beard" and "Everything that comes out of my mouth is relatively stupid."

Plant's Lullabye and... The Ceaseless Roar is out now. The singer also unveiled the spacey music video for the dreamy album track "Rainbow." Check it out below:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/robert-plant-i-want-to-record-with-jack-white-20140909

^^ Cookie, like I said not a fan of RS magazine. See that last comment. A girl/lady actually stated that she had met him and said something stupid..then Robert I think was being a gentleman or just funny and stated that comment :-)

LesPaul Player, it would be a great collaboration!

Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin) on the One Show & sings Rainbow

^^great video!!!!

Did RS really spell the name of the album wrong?! Lullabye instead of lullaby? I was following Robert's Facebook Q&A yesterday, and from his behalf he was mostly joking, and answered the questions lightly, with humour. I thought it was a good decision, as once again there were hundreds of questions about deep meanings and LZ - reunions. I instantly understood that the Nashville-part at least was a joke. It's quite difficult to recognize sarcasm on a chat like that. He got something like 2000 questions and answered maybe 10 :-)

I found this sentence in the London Times review offensive:

"However exciting the sight of Plant pretending to be his 25-year-old self and screaming “bay-beh” in too-tight trousers for a Led Zeppelin reunion would be, this is surely a more dignified route for a 66-year-old former golden god to take."

I don't recall Plant pretending to be 25 or wearing too-tight pants at the 2007 concert when he was 59. Now that I'm 50 I also resent the notion that people of a certain age can't let loose. Certain behaviors are either dignified or embarrassing depending on what they are, not on the age of the person doing them.

That sentence offends you? It's just a review...no children were harmed. :blink:

You either missed the point/humour of the sentence or you are more tightly wound/high strung than I thought.

^^ Hi Nemea! :-)

Poor Howard is up on you tube as well. A Stolen Kiss has to be one of the best songs Robert has EVER done IMHO. Simply beautiful...

http://youtu.be/0jZLBSuLaPw

Agreed. His singing is so good on this song, his low range has really matured through the years. The way he sings the word "die" in the last word of the third verse is incredible.

Archived