Plant's vocals on I'm Gonna Crawl

ZepHead315

Does anyone else think this is one of the best Plant vocal performances captured on tape? I'm listening to this track again and I'm really moved by the emotion and feeling in his singing. All at once, his voice is heartbreaking, joyful, and longing. I'd put it right up there with The Rain Song and Since I've Been Loving You (among others) as one of his finest moments in the studio with Zeppelin.

Yeah, it's a great performance and the "Every little bit" section is extremely raw and powerful.

Great searing lead guitar sound from Page as well, which he would employ to great effect on the TOE.

IGC gets overlooked because it's the last song on one of their lesser-know albums, the track is essentially a pastiche of a 1950s ballad, and SIBLY is their iconic blues number in 12/8.

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

Yeah, it's a great performance and the "Every little bit" section is extremely raw and powerful.

Great searing lead guitar sound from Page as well, which he would employ to great effect on the TOE.

IGC gets overlooked because it's the last song on one of their lesser-know albums, the track is essentially a pastiche of a 1950s ballad, and SIBLY is their iconic blues number in 12/8.

What's TOE?

I think it's a great sweet sad blues ballad, great solo and the vocals are very powerful and with a huge range for that era Plant, and even the hoarseness at the end actually sounds powerful and you get all the emotion and detail Plant has included into his singing trough the years!

For me this has always been Zeppelin's best blues number, it is truly a perfectly constructed song from beginning to end. Everyone just gels so well on this song while Page gives us his ultimate blues solo and Plant sings his damn ass off. Plus the lyrics have more depth than your average, baby done me wrong, blues. This song comes off more as an apology to the woman he loves...he was the source of pain, not his lady. 

A song which turns blues on its head in a very good way.

I'm Gonna Crawl is one of my Fave tracks off of ITTOD.  Great song.  Even though I am not a big fan of ITTOD.  Its a stand out track and its one of Zep's last big Blues.  Like I Can't Quite You Babe in a Waltz style.  I should play it as a Wedding song if I get married one Day.  

From a performance standpoint, it's fucking brilliant all around. And, the production/recording is just stunning. It feels so close and intimate and that big yet gentle kick drum thudding along is just classic Zeppelin in every way. And yeah, Jimmy laid down one his best solo's ever on the last song of their last record. Its like he's squeezing every possible drop of emotion out of each note. Its excruciatingly painful and somehow blissful at the same time. Jimmy's always had a knack for being able to do that with his playing and I think its unique to him. Never heard anyone else even approach that kind of emotional dichotomy in their playing, certainly not as starkly defined as Page's playing could do on a regular basis. It's also definitely Plants best vocal on the album by far, he sounds comfortable, confident, and very convincing.

What a majestic/elegant song this is......I'm done :)

I'll add my kudos too.

In addition to the observations above, one of my favorite parts of his vocal delivery on the song is the part just before he sings "I'm Gonna Crawl" for the last time...he sounds like he is in exquisite agony, exploring all the ways he can make his vocal sound tortured.

Spot-on perfect.

I don't think it gets respect because of the cheesy keyboard sound in the intro. Why Pagey doesn't re- release ITTOD and take down the keyboard sound and add guitar is beyond me. This song is wonderful and had it blasting in my car just the other day. I was thinking the same thing as everyone else on this topic.- what a great solo by Page and vocal by Percy. 

Robert is highly reverbed but it adds to the deep tone of the song. He sings his balls off especially at the end. Would have been great to see them do this in 2007 also at reunion. Again, from what I recall reading about this song, the intro is the weakness but Pagey and Plant its strengths. Would be great at the end of a movie credits rolling ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived