wtf @ "Hammer of the Gods" by Stephen Davis

zeppelincheetah

i had heard about this book before but not until now have i tried to read it. it's like pure myth. wtf. i asked for a biography of led zep for Christmas and this is the one i got :angry:

first, what's the deal with this book? second, what are some other books on led zep you'd reccomend that are a bit more... grounded in reality?

I read it. It's a funny book. If you're looking for a few facts and mostly humour this is your book. I'd read it. Hardly any of it is true, but it's interesting.

Try Led Zeppelin 4 The Story of The Album. It's a really good abou them. It talks a lot about about IV obviously, but it talks about the members themselves too.

Ritchie York's book is much more factual.

The 'deal' with Hammer of the Gods is it was heavily based on interviews with Richard Cole, who was at the time a heroin addict and was being paid a small amount of money for his troubles. I would suggest that many of the situations did occur, but are exaggerated, and many other things which would balance the story are left out. I think it was Peter Grant later said it missed out on all the FUN the band had, they all came off looking like sadistic bastards.

The problem is there is a lot of myth, and many people who were around the band at that time buy into that myth. For example, there are several girls ('groupies') who claim to have seen Jimmy's suitcase full of whips, yet no-one has ever claimed to have seen him use them, or to have been whipped themselves.

The Mudshark, or was is the Red Snapper??? incident is another example, where the groupie grapevine and eventually the press got a hold of it and made it out to be this horrible event, whereas the truth is, only Cole and Bonham were present, and Vanilla Fudge were in fact the ones who were doing it.....the girl was not raped or attacked or anything else. But Zeppelin becamse guilty by association.

I also think a lot of jealousy comes into it - people got jealous of Zeppelin's success and say bad things about them now. The point is that throughout their lives they have always appeared to be fun-loving, good humoured people, but a myth grew around them which had them painted as satan-worshiping sadistic egotistical selfish etc etc.......

*Sigh*, here we go again. I'm one of the few long-time, and I'd like to think knowledgeable, Zep fans on the board who will defend this book. I've read it many times, and always enjoyed it a lot. I think it's a great mix of sensational crazy stories, and a focus on the music. It delves a lot into the recording sessions and the live shows, and really gives a great idea of the power and mystique that Zeppelin wielded. As far as the stories in there, I personally never thought any less of the boys for them, I only ever thought it sounded like a lot of fun, and nothing worse than anything that anyone would do in their situation. I never felt they had anything to be ashamed of from that book. I think the book really went a long way to helping keep their legend alive in the 80's and 90's, and really drew in kids like me, who first read the book at 17 and it only made them more fascinating to me. Is some of possibly untrue or blown out of proportion? Perhaps. But I'd venture to say more of it is true than many want to admit. I mean, if you're writing a book about a band, and you get a good portion of your info from that band's road manager, I'd say you're not just relying on some fringe person's memories, you're getting the goods from someone who was right there. Good enough for me. Aside from a true autobiography by a member of the band, it's probably as good as it gets.

Yes, there are more serious books that focus more on the music, and I'm reading Keith Shadwick's book now. It's good so far, but it reads like a history book, a lot of facts, not a lot of fun. To me, Hammer Of The Gods is a great mix of music, stories, and it conveys the power, mystery, and mystique of Led Zeppelin that captivated so many young fans.

Again, I'm with Mattmc on this one. I thoroughly enjoyed the story in HOTG. Read it at least three times, probably due for a refresher read. And as far as Cole not being a reliable source, well shit, the band has said there is much they don't remember (namely, Jimmy has said he doesn't remember much of the '70s and even JPJ said he did more drugs than he can believe). Cole's every bit as reliable as they are. And the old axiom goes, there's a kernel of truth in every lie. It wouldn't be the first time things about Zeppelin have been blown out of proportion -- before HOTG or since.

I think the book really went a long way to helping keep their legend alive in the 80's and 90's, and really drew in kids like me, who first read the book at 17 and it only made them more fascinating to me. Is some of possibly untrue or blown out of proportion? Perhaps. But I'd venture to say more of it is true than many want to admit. I mean, if you're writing a book about a band, and you get a good portion of your info from that band's road manager, I'd say you're not just relying on some fringe person's memories, you're getting the goods from someone who was right there. Good enough for me. Aside from a true autobiography by a member of the band, it's probably as good as it gets.

Yes, there are more serious books that focus more on the music, and I'm reading Keith Shadwick's book now. It's good so far, but it reads like a history book, a lot of facts, not a lot of fun. To me, Hammer Of The Gods is a great mix of music, stories, and it conveys the power, mystery, and mystique of Led Zeppelin that captivated so many young fans.

I totally agree. Hammer of the Gods was the first Zeppelin bio I ever read (I was 13) and what I got from the book was this overwhelming sense of vastness and unreachability; a power and mystique that was awe-inspiring for a kid growing up in the mid-80s, when everything seemed so bland and friendly and toned-down by comparison. If Stephen Davis' intent was to smear Zep then it evidently didn't work as more people were probably persuaded to check Zep out after reading HOTG than were turned off them for life. For sure, it was nasty and sensationalist in parts (for the time), but a lot of young people actually liked all that stuff!

Now, thanks to the hindsight of maturity, I'm aware that much of the book is (probably) crap and I've read more commendable books since then, but I'll never forget the impact HOTG had on me way back when.

well i've read the overture and have found that this book flat out sucks. it sounds like some ultra conservative christian that twists facts to portray led zeppelin and blues music as evil

Sounds more like that dodgy Thomas Friend book....

If Stephen Davis' intent was to smear Zep then it evidently didn't work as more people were probably persuaded to check Zep out after reading HOTG than were turned off them for life.

Just recently a buddy of mine, who is an avid reader, was looking for his next book to read. He wasn't a Zep fan, but I told him it was a fun read and gave him my copy. He read it, and became a fan. So nothing wrong with that!

*Sigh*, here we go again. I'm one of the few long-time, and I'd like to think knowledgeable, Zep fans on the board who will defend this book. I've read it many times, and always enjoyed it a lot. I think it's a great mix of sensational crazy stories, and a focus on the music. It delves a lot into the recording sessions and the live shows, and really gives a great idea of the power and mystique that Zeppelin wielded. As far as the stories in there, I personally never thought any less of the boys for them, I only ever thought it sounded like a lot of fun, and nothing worse than anything that anyone would do in their situation. I never felt they had anything to be ashamed of from that book. I think the book really went a long way to helping keep their legend alive in the 80's and 90's, and really drew in kids like me, who first read the book at 17 and it only made them more fascinating to me. Is some of possibly untrue or blown out of proportion? Perhaps. But I'd venture to say more of it is true than many want to admit. I mean, if you're writing a book about a band, and you get a good portion of your info from that band's road manager, I'd say you're not just relying on some fringe person's memories, you're getting the goods from someone who was right there. Good enough for me. Aside from a true autobiography by a member of the band, it's probably as good as it gets.

I Liked the book (Read it twice), mostly because i read it before any other's. Does the book tell the truth? It's how you perceive it. To me the little stories are the most damaging, and they're damaging because they are told in a bad light. He only saw it from one perspective. Some things are based on truth. The Drugs, the girls, the cult, and Jonsey wanting to get out. It may not been as bad as told but you need to tell the story somehow and that how they choose it.

Are you referring to Fallen Angel?

Yes. That book shows one can find the devil in anything if they really look hard enough:

LZ IV: The Devil

The Sun: The Devil

Proctor & Gamble: The Devil

A Puppy In A Field of Clover: The Devil

Perhaps it would have sold more copies if a more appropriate title was chosen. I'd suggest these:

"Crazy Carrie, Crazy Carrie"

"They're all gonna laugh at you, they're all gonna laugh at you" .

I love HOTG...I've read it four times in my life...yes, there's some BS stories in there but it's a very entertaining book and there are a lot of facts too...esp. about the members and how the band formed, etc...IMO, the dogging for this book is overrated...what is so bad about it when the worst parts are true...JP was a smack addict at one point...sad but true!!!

JP was a smack addict at one point...sad but true!!!

Doesn't every Zeppelin fan know this? Page's heroin addiction from 76 to about 83 is well known, I thought. I mean his apperance and playing in Zeppelin shows from '77 onwards make it pretty obvious that something was going on.

The thing I could not get past about the book was that the author related the sold-their-souls legend as *literally true* (!) not as myth or metaphor. Davis can't be that stupid to think the guys actually met up with Beelzebub and signed a contract in blood, so one must conclude he was cynically exploiting his (mostly) young readership's (perceived) gullibility and taste for sensationalism.

Other than that, the book is fine for beginners. For many years it was practically the only book on Zeppelin, but now there are so many better choices available.

Good post. Thanks for saying all of that. What I wrote about Cole's book here: http://forums.ledzeppelin.com//index.php?showtopic=2511

I would probably say for Davis' book. I wouldn't recommend either book if someone is seeking a definitive history of Zep. For that, I would probably suggest Shadwick's book. However, if someone wants to know what the scene was like back then, there are truths in both books. And, as you note, more truth than people want to acknowledge. There are members here on the forum who were around back then and witnessed (and experienced) some of the events that are described in those books. What can any of us say from the vantage point of a different time and place? It was the '70s, they were rock stars, and that's how it went.

and

Those with blinders need to take them off and SEE !!!!

I totally agree. The 70s strike me as an exploratory period where no-one knew or cared where the boundaries were - in many ways, the boundaries weren't set until later on. Any rock star basking in unlimited wealth and the personal power that came with it would be tempted to live like a Roman Emperor. Probably not all the time, but some of it. And inevitably, there'd be unpleasant stuff going on alongside the exhilarating stuff. When you've got 20,000 people worshipping at your feet night after night, you're going to find it pretty hard to come back down to earth.

I was a young child in the 70s so forgive me if I don't know what I'm talking about, but all I know is that I'd have given my left tit to have experienced that scene, for good or ill.

Off out now so Happy New Year to everyone - hopefully lots of Zep goodies to come in 2008!

The thing I could not get past about the book was that the author related the sold-their-souls legend as *literally true* (!) not as myth or metaphor. Davis can't be that stupid to think the guys actually met up with Beelzebub and signed a contract in blood, so one must conclude he was cynically exploiting his (mostly) young readership's (perceived) gullibility and taste for sensationalism.

Other than that, the book is fine for beginners. For many years it was practically the only book on Zeppelin, but now there are so many better choices available.

I always took it as myth/metaphor, and never thought he was implying it was true, but maybe I'm the one who missed the point!

Archived