What's the weather like where you are?

madison

20 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Plums DD. We are not capable of growing peaches unfortunately. Too far north. We have a better view from the front but i don't have a snap

Our climate makes it difficult to grow most fruit trees.  We have a very young plum tree, which has grown slowly over the 3-4 years we've had it, although it has not produced fruit yet.  Same with a pomegranate plant.  Grows and looks healthy, but no fruit. :(  

39 minutes ago, Ddladner said:

Our climate makes it difficult to grow most fruit trees.  We have a very young plum tree, which has grown slowly over the 3-4 years we've had it, although it has not produced fruit yet.  Same with a pomegranate plant.  Grows and looks healthy, but no fruit. :(  

Which part of the US are you that you can't grow fruit trees? 

That Plum tree produces so much fruit that we have plum chutney from 2 years ago and I give pounds away. Though having said that we haven't had plums that last 2 years as the spring has been so awful. Do you not grow Tommies?

21 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Which part of the US are you that you can't grow fruit trees? 

That Plum tree produces so much fruit that we have plum chutney from 2 years ago and I give pounds away. Though having said that we haven't had plums that last 2 years as the spring has been so awful. Do you not grow Tommies?

South Mississippi.  It's not that fruit trees won't grow here, and there are some who take the time and attention to grow different varieties.  At the risk of getting way outside my area of expertise, I'll say that issues include not getting enough deep cold weather in the winter, and then having late spring frosts that kill the blooms.  In my yard, I have a tough love approach.  I like to plant many varieties of trees, flowers, shrubs, including fruit bearing varieties.  However, you must be able to survive without a lot of time and attention.  I don't cover trees to protect from frosts, and while I do some fertilizing, it's likely not enough. Sad but true.  We have enjoyed many years of producing pecans (until hurricanes took the trees), and luckily we have many flowering trees/plants that thrive.  I had a calamondin tree that produced very well until it fell to a frost.  It has grown back but has not produced.   My dad and hubby grow lots of vegetables including tomatoes, corn, peppers, cucumbers, and lettuce.  Fresh tomatoes are my favorite!

On 11/7/2016 at 11:14 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Maple tree in Upstate NY

IMG_0553.JPG

Spectacular Rick! I do love the fall foliage you guys get in the northeast. Brilliant colours.

Just the same old, same old here in L.A. Sunny and 80°...and some days up in the 90s. It is hard to get in the mood for hockey season when it is 90° outside.

On 11/10/2016 at 7:55 AM, Ddladner said:

Awww, that is so sad. I love both plums and pomegranates.