Zep vs. The Stones

Protes

Whenever I meet a big Stones fan, I always tell them that Zep was more popular and it ends up in an argument/debate. I'm 38 and got into Zep around '83 so I didn't really see them in their heyday but, to my knowledge, Zep outsold The Stones in the 70's. Plus, they broke concert records left and right.

So, isn't it true that Zep was simply the biggest band in the world in the 70's and more popular than Mick & Co.?

Whenever I meet a big Stones fan, I always tell them that Zep was more popular and it ends up in an argument/debate. I'm 38 and got into Zep around '83 so I didn't really see them in their heyday but, to my knowledge, Zep outsold The Stones in the 70's. Plus, they broke concert records left and right.

So, isn't it true that Zep was simply the biggest band in the world in the 70's and more popular than Mick & Co.?

IMHO, it's very subjective, because "biggest" is too vague a term, as is "popular". I'd

say overall Led Zeppelin were the Kings of Rock and the biggest band in the world from

1970-1979, but the Rolling Stones had a bigger influence on popular culture. That's my opinon. As Mick said so diplomatically when asked to choose between The Beatles and The Stones:

"You can prefer them to us or us to them, it doesn't matter really".

As Mick said so diplomatically when asked to choose between The Beatles and The Stones:

"You can prefer them to us or us to them, it doesn't matter really".

That reminds me of an old quote from a magazine I used to have:

"The Beatles and The Stones fought in the parking lot........and Led Zeppelin won."

To me, I love The Stones but Rock and Roll didn't really come into form as it is today if nto for Led Zeppelin.

I don't want to piss off any Beatles fans out there but they're highly overrated. People just won't let that band fade into obscurity as it should. The Stones have been around for alot longer and made better music overall that they still get snubbed as the lesser band of the two, when certain people can't face the truth.

However, that being said. With Zeppelin's first album released it was a sonic revelation. It brought rock music back to it's roots and included newer elements. And from there It just got bigger and better.

Led Zeppelin is MY Beatles and Rolling Stones. Nobody does it better.

Well, from my perspective, using the ol' numbers rating:

Rolling Stones, 1963-67- 8

Stones, 1968-74- 9-1/2

" " 1975-present- overall a 6, though Black & Blue and Voodoo Lounge were pretty damn great. Tattoo You is mostly old outtakes salvaged and released later. It's good but not GREAT. The rest? Eh.

Led Zeppelin - 10.

The Stones are still way up on my list, but they're not Zep.

I think LZ and the Stones are both great in their own way. Their music really wasn't all that similar though, so I find it hard to compare them and say which one is better. I will say that Gimme Shelter is one of my all time favorite rock and roll songs though.

The Beatles had some great stuff too. I think that probably they have become legendary status for one of the same reasons LZ did... They ended their career while still very popular, and were never tempted to reform again. That always makes people think about 'what if', you know?

I feel fortunate to have grown up in such an exciting era. The good the bad and the ugly. The music alway's represented the GOOD..... It has a power over all of us. Just listen and enjoy

That reminds me of an old quote from a magazine I used to have:

"The Beatles and The Stones fought in the parking lot........and Led Zeppelin won."

I love that quote. I remember reading it a while back thinking how right it was. But then, I can't say anything negative about the Stones. My father would disown me. And I strongly feel that every man, woman, and child should own Sticky Fingers.

Until recently,imo, Jagger/Richards were overlooked and underrated as songwriters. The media were too busy labelling them bad boys to give them the credit they deserved.

For me, The Stones have more backbone to their music than The Beatles.

The Stones were able to work the PR machine, and even though Zeppelin may have be outselling them on album sales (in many cases Zep were selling 2x as many albums as the stones). They also had the PR to call themselves the biggest touring rock band in the world, despite the fact Zeppelin were selling out more shows, faster, and in bigger venues than the Stones.

Theres no debate when it comes to the popularity of the 2 bands in the 70s. Led Zep destroyed the Stones in album sales and concert sales, and did all of it with little promotion and fanfare. When Physical Graffitti was released all their albums were in the top 200 album chart! Same with In Through The Out Door I think, Led Zep were by far the biggest and most popular band in the world throughout the 70s. Thats not subjective or debatable, thats a fact, the #s prove it. Hell they were more popular than the Beatles in late '69 when Zep II knocked Abbey Road from the #1 spot.

I can really talk about that because well, I have 20. But I know great bands like The Doors, Pink Floyd and The Rolling Stones (because my passion is music), and I agree whit you. Led Zeppelin is the best.

I would like to go back and live in the 70's...

Edited by eagle87

Perhaps musically, but certainly not culturally. Lennon/McCartney defined the 60s.
The 60's was a musical re-generation of Folk,Soul-Rhythm & Blues,and Physcodelia.Lennon/McCartney were on the train with such greats as;Sam & Dave,C.C.R,Janis Joplin,and the rest,to state that culturally or musically Lennon/McCartney defined the 60's is clearly to state favourites on your part.

I never get sick of Led Zeppelin.

....and I never get sick of the Stones.

I must agree with the Mick Taylor comments,though,just not to the same degree.I like all of their material,but it's no coincidence that my faves are from '68-'75.

Edited by 59LesPaul

Zeppelin were the biggest band in world their heyday.

U2 ar bigger than Stones as is Pink Floyd.

Bigger does not mean necessarily mean better by the way