Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

Given the amount of sunlight on the stage and the position of the shadows, this could be a morning soundcheck at Kezar. The concert gates at Kezar opened at 11am and the band hit the stage in the late afternoon after The Tubes, Roy Harper and Lee Michaels performed. Weather reports indicate the day began clear and bright but became progressively cloudy, which explains why photos taken during the concert look slightly washed with no shadowing, as the position of the sun had changed, compared with the above photo. There would have been ample time for the band to change attire. That would be my guess.

Meg

Given the amount of sunlight on the stage and the position of the shadows, this could be a morning soundcheck at Kezar. The concert gates at Kezar opened at 11am and the band hit the stage in the late afternoon after The Tubes, Roy Harper and Lee Michaels performed. Weather reports indicate the day began clear and bright but became progressively cloudy, which explains why photos taken during the concert look slightly washed with no shadowing, as the position of the sun had changed, compared with the above photo. There would have been ample time for the band to change attire. That would be my guess.

Meg

According to the concert file, the band arrived late, rushed to the stage and found the equiptment not working...Plant improved " We've only been awake a total of about 2 and a half hours.." Don't sound like they were ther early on for a soundcheck...hmmm or maybe that's why they were late ?

Can you possibly post the second pic and we could tie 'em together ?

Edited by Nech

According to the concert file, the band arrived late, rushed to the stage and found the equiptment not working...Plant improved " We've only been awake a total of about 2 and a half hours.." Don't sound like they were ther early on for a soundcheck...hmmm or maybe that's why they were late ?

Nech, what about a possible soundcheck from Three Rivers Stadium? I don't have Dave Lewis' book.

i have a very similar photo of Robert wearing those sunglasses and the same clothes in day light I'm trying to find it for almost an hour...it's a picture of Robert alone and he's posing with his mouth open on stage..I'll try to find it and post it..

EDIT: nevermind I saw you already posted it while I was searchin'..

Edited by Adi

Nech, what about a possible soundcheck from Three Rivers Stadium? I don't have Dave Lewis' book.

The 3 Rivers flight and arrival are well documented here:

http://www.johnpauljones.com/multimedia.html

and

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/video/pittsburgh-1973

so I think we can count that out.

Plant's wearing his blouse though! : )

Hey Otto. Nice insights.

I think both Page and Hendrix were ambitious and creative guitarists - composers. There may have been some level of competition that was unspoken. Jimmy was extremely aware of Eddie Kramer through his creative work with Hendrix and employed him to engineer Zeppelin II. Hendrix would had to have heard that piece of production but never publicly commented upon it. Jeff Beck did stating he was unimpressed. Shows you what he knew!

Yeah - and I'd say that's a good guess, Chicago. Another thing: Hendrix completely astonished so many musicians in London in late 1966, and it was really obvious that he would be a great influence for many people - this at a time when Jimmy Page was forming his own style after a prolonged period of session work, and then playing bass with The Yardbirds. He may also have wanted to just delay seeing him a bit. But it's really strange that Hendrix didn't attend a Yardies gig - that would have been such an obvious thing. Also because Jimi really loved jamming.

Yeah - and I'd say that's a good guess, Chicago. Another thing: Hendrix completely astonished so many musicians in London in late 1966, and it was really obvious that he would be a great influence for many people - this at a time when Jimmy Page was forming his own style after a prolonged period of session work, and then playing bass with The Yardbirds. He may also have wanted to just delay seeing him a bit. But it's really strange that Hendrix didn't attend a Yardies gig - that would have been such an obvious thing. Also because Jimi really loved jamming.

I think your correct Otto in regards to Jimmy nurturing his own musical ideas and individual guitar identity. He also might have wanted to avoid the same reaction to Hendrix Jeff Beck had experienced . Jeff Beck said he felt switching careers from ace guitarist to a garbageman after witnessing Hendrix live for the first time!

Edited by Chicago

I already had a different copy of that picture of Robert, Badgeholder, and the file name actually says it's Tampa. If that's where the photos were taken, then it's obviously a soundcheck, because Jimmy wore the white suit and dark shirt at the gig itself. I hadn't seen the picture of Jimmy and Robert before - thanks for posting.

But it's surprisingly hard to find out for sure where they were taken. I think we can be pretty sure that it's a soundcheck though, and Tampa seems a bit likely. Kezar would be a possibility, but Jimmy was wearing different clothes when he came to Frisco the day before the concert; and anyway it's doubtful they would have had much of a soundcheck at that point because of his hand injury. The stage area also seems different. That still leaves Atlanta at the beginning of the tour, but there doesn't seem to have been a soundcheck for that one.

Edited by Otto Masson

I think your correct Otto in regards to Jimmy nurturing his own musical ideas and individual guitar identity. He also might have wanted to avoid the same reaction to Hendrix Jeff Beck had experienced . Jeff Beck said he felt switching careers from ace guitarist to a garbageman after witnessing Hendrix live for the first time!

He did, and Pete Townshend said just about the same thing if I remember correctly.

The gates opened at 10am but the band didn't arrive til sometime after 2.30pm. They were meant to kick off at 2pm. There would have been no time for a soundcheck in the afternoon. Take a look at these pictures here:

kezar1.jpg

kezar2.jpg

This is my theory of "light and shade" :D

Note the shadows (taller than our souls) being cast to the front of the stage, rather than to the back of the stage in the original photo under question, so if it is Kezar, the soundcheck could have not have been done in the afternoon as the position of the sun had changed to behind the stage. If however what Robert says is true and he didn't just make up an excuse to the crowd for being late. I would like to find out the stage orientations (west-east, north-south) for the other open-air venues.

Meg

Edited by Meg Ireland

Hendrix is on record as saying The Yardbirds was his favourite band and that "Beck's Bolero" one of his favourite songs. See Keith Shadwick's biography on Hendrix for the reference.

Meg

Actually, Jimmy had developed a gradual fear of flying in Led Zeppelin's small private jet and his fear really took hold in Los Angeles. Peter Grant had to hastily arrange for both

he and Jimmy to fly onboard a United Airlines commerical flight up to San Francisco on

the day of the gig as a result. I think promoter Bill Graham may have made a stage or

radio announcement to the effect of "there will be a slight delay as Jimmy wants to get

his doubleneck tuned just right for your enjoyment". Meanwhile, he already knew the truth was Jimmy was running late on account of switching to the commercial flight. He

discusses this incident in detail in his autobiography 'Bill Graham: My Life Inside Rock and Out'.

LA was played the next day, and it was the last date before their mid-tour break. Not coincidentally, Peter Grant leased The Starship jet airliner for the second leg and they

retained the services of it for the remainder of the tour as well as in 1975. In 1977, he

leased Ceasar's Chariot, another large jet airliner.

Edited by SteveAJones

I believe when Led Zeppelin finally arrived there was an argument between Bonham and Bill Graham, alluded to by Plant on stage.

Meg

Actually, Jimmy had developed a gradual fear of flying in Led Zeppelin's small private jet and his fear really took hold in Los Angeles. Peter Grant had to hastily arrange for both

he and Jimmy to fly onboard a United Airlines commerical flight up to San Francisco on

the day of the gig as a result. I think promoter Bill Graham may have made a stage or

radio announcement to the effect of "there will be a slight delay as Jimmy wants to get

his doubleneck tuned just right for your enjoyment". Meanwhile, he already knew the truth was Jimmy was running late on account of switching to the commercial flight.

LA was played the next day, and it was the last date before their mid-tour break. Not coincidentally, Peter Grant leased The Starship jet airliner for the second leg and they

retained the services of it for the remainder of the tour as well as in 1975. In 1977, he

leased Ceasar's Chariot, another large jet airliner.

It will help solve many of these unknown photographs because it would be a matter of comparing background buildings, lighting setups, other structures, the sky/horizon, shadows etc :)

Oh, I definately agree, I'd just never thought of it until you suggested it. I thought I

was a complete nutter for documenting the addresses of these venues, but position

of the sun in relation to the venue?! You've taken this to another level. Even the sorcerer salutes you. ;)