Zeppelin Mysteries Hosted by Steve A. Jones

SteveAJones

IMHO, his inactivity coincided with raising his children. It was he whom rose early to

send them off to school. By his own admission, he missed out on much of Scarlet's

formative years and he was determined to be there for his children this time around.

As I understand it, the insurance concerns stemming from cancellation of the tour

only necessitated six months of no public performances.

But do you think he would have gone this route anyway even if he had finished the Crowes tour or was the back injury a catalyst?

Thanks Steve. Nice bit of info there. I had wondered why and how they allowed taping for some of their 1995 shows and now I know.

Reducing the demand for bootlegged releases was the primary reason why, and The Grateful Dead's use of designated taper's section showed them how. Of course, this

did not keep the floodgates for Page/Plant bootlegs from opening, and the idea was

abandoned at the end of the first leg of the tour in April 1995.

Oh yeah, my girl and I also went to the NYC premier of Unledded at some theater in the city. Steve, do you know which theater it was? P/P were advertised as being there but they never made an appearance. They supposedly went to the China Club later that night. We tried but couldn't get in there. Aw, those were magical times.

They arrived in NYC on Tue, Oct 11th 1994 for an afternoon/evening advance showing of 'Unledded - No Quarter' at the Beacon Theater, during which they granted interviews to Mark Shearer for CNN's Showbiz Today, Steve Fox of 'Good Morning America', to VH1 for Full Press Court and held a brief press conference. Clips from all the interviews aired on television the following day (Oct 12th) with the MTV world premier telecast airing that night. I believe the advance showing was only open to the media, but perhaps you attended (got in) or there was a public premier at the same venue later that night or the next day?

I don't show they went to China Club during this visit but it's possible (unconfirmed).

They flew to Paris on Oct 14th, having attended The Grateful Concert the night before.

Edited by SteveAJones

But do you think he would have gone this route anyway even if he had finished the Crowes tour or was the back injury a catalyst?

The back injury accelerated entering a period of inactivity, but I think it was inevitable.

His children were very young and he was determined to be there for them. By his own admission he had no desire to maintain a proper solo career, so it seems to me unless

he had a chance to continue further with Robert or Led Zeppelin it was meant to be.

The back injury accelerated entering a period of inactivity, but I think it was inevitable.

His children were very young and he was determined to be there for them. By his own admission he had no desire to maintain a proper solo career, so it seems to me unless

he had a chance to continue further with Robert or Led Zeppelin it was meant to be.

I wonder why Jimmy is against a solo career. Is it because the Outrider tout didn't do as well as predicted? I still say people want to see him live.

I wonder why Jimmy is against a solo career. Is it because the Outrider tour didn't do as well as predicted? I still say people want to see him live.

He's not "against" a solo career, it's just not something he's interested in maintaining.

One thing that does irk him is the enormous amount of promotional work required for

any new release. He still remembers doing most of the press for 'In Through The Out Door' in just one afternoon at the Swan Song offices. Nowadays, it just never ends.

It is fair to say The Firm, Outrider & C/P albums & tours did not do as well commercially as one would expect, but each was certainly an artistic acheivement in its own way.

They arrived in NYC on Tue, Oct 11th 1994 for an afternoon/evening advance showing of 'Unledded - No Quarter' at the Beacon Theater, during which they granted interviews to Mark Shearer for CNN's Showbiz Today, Steve Fox of 'Good Morning America', to VH1 for Full Press Court and held a brief press conference. Clips from all the interviews aired on television the following day (Oct 12th) with the MTV world premier telecast airing that night. I believe the advance showing was only open to the media, but perhaps you attended (got in) or there was a public premier at the same venue later that night or the next day?

I don't show they went to China Club during this visit but it's possible (unconfirmed).

They flew to Paris on Oct 14th, having attended The Grateful Concert the night before.

Actually WNEW FM 102.7 out of New York City was also there and covering it during their daily Get The Led Out program. Carol Miller a DJ from WNEW and a big Zeppelin fan interviewed Jimmy Page at the premiere. This is actually something I'll never forget. One of the questions she asked him was, what he thought of Richard Cole's "Stairway To Heaven" book on the band. To say this didn't go over well with Jimmy was an understatement. I don't remember the exact words Jimmy said to Carol, but he referred to Richard Cole as a f*****g bastard and about exploiting Led Zeppelin. His book had been released, perhaps several months prior to this. Carol wasn't aware of Cole's shaky relationship with the band, a lot due to his tome and I think she felt a bit embarrassed. There was no seven second delay on this. I wasn't expecting this, but I thought it was unusual that she was unaware of how much Zeppelin's remaining members despised his book, considering how big of a fan she was of the band. It was unforgettable hearing this. A classic radio moment.

Actually WNEW FM 102.7 out of New York City was also there and covering it during their daily Get The Led Out program. Carol Miller a DJ from WNEW and a big Zeppelin fan interviewed Jimmy Page at the premiere. This is actually something I'll never forget. One of the questions she asked him was, what he thought of Richard Cole's "Stairway To Heaven" book on the band. To say this didn't go over well with Jimmy was an understatement. I don't remember the exact words Jimmy said to Carol, but he referred to Richard Cole as a f*****g bastard and about exploiting Led Zeppelin. His book had been released, perhaps several months prior to this. Carol wasn't aware of Cole's shaky relationship with the band, a lot due to his tome and I think she felt a bit embarrassed. There was no seven second delay on this. I wasn't expecting this, but I thought it was unusual that she was unaware of how much Zeppelin's remaining members despised his book, considering how big of a fan she was of the band. It was unforgettable hearing this. A classic radio moment.

I'm surprised Carol asked that as well. I'm pretty sure she'd have been somewhat aware of things. She's known the band for years.

I was unaware of this interview until now. I'd really like to get a copy of it, and may

contact WNEW directly to see if it's archived if no one else has it. Cole's book was

released in July 1992 and received mixed reviews.

Taking time from one's career to devote yourself to raising a family is a supremely admirable thing. I did it myself and I commend Jimmy for the sincere effort he's made as a father. It's far more important than pleasing some ingrate that thinks Page should be an absentee parent to prove somehow he's not retired i.e.- " Get on with it already!' or "Page lounging around with his remote."

Taking time from one's career to devote yourself to raising a family is a supremely admirable thing. I did it myself and I commend Jimmy for the sincere effort he's made as a father. It's far more important than pleasing some ingrate that thinks Page should be an absentee parent to prove somehow he's not retired i.e.- " Get on with it already!' or "Page lounging around with his remote."

I know we tend t disagree re this stuff Chicago, so please don't take this personally - but I think this is a rather romanticised view. Jimmy didn't specifically choose to have time out to be with his growing family - in fact he isn't with them every day - and if at any point since the kids were born he had had the opportunity to go out on a tour with Led Zeppelin I bet my house he would have done. He was willing only recently to become what you call an "absentee parent" to take Led Zeppelin out on tour, I think it is stretching things a little to say he is not making music at the moment because he's chosen to be at home being a parent.

Yeah, but many would still like to bury the hatchet in his head. :)

I still don't see what's wrong with Cole's book. What is the BS in there? Some of our boys dabbled in hard drugs. So what. It's not like we didn't know. As for making Bonzo look like a creep in some parts, well that's part of who he was (at least when wasted). It doesn't make me look down at him whatsoever. We all know he was a loving family man who loved playing drums but overall, hated touring. I personally think that they hated that he let some details out that they had rather we would have not heard.

Yeah, but many would still like to bury the hatchet in his head. :)

I don't blame them--I was actually amazed to see him at those events.

I think the thing is the betrayal, Wolfman--at least it would be for me. Even if every word was true, and if he hadn't picked out the most salacious bits, and portrayed the people he wasn't on good terms with in the worst light he could--there's still the betrayal of confidences issue.

I don't blame them--I was actually amazed to see him at those events.

I think the thing is the betrayal, Wolfman--at least it would be for me. Even if every word was true, and if he hadn't picked out the most salacious bits, and portrayed the people he wasn't on good terms with in the worst light he could--there's still the betrayal of confidences issue.

I think it is sensationalized, (Richard was probably thinking it is "Rock and Roll", I would not call it a total betrayal, I do realize Richard's position with Led Zeppelin as their closest confidant.

...one thing I really admire about Jimmy Page and Robert Plant is that they value friendships not only among themselves "best under the circumstances", as well as others, like here Richard Cole, even their past liaisons with women both on/off the road...truly, I have never come across anything that is they said in press could be considered earth-shattering...

Richard does value Jimmy's respect for women in Stairway to Heaven, (and I do trust Jimmy, he would never mislead anyone)....Richard writes that Jimmy is classy English Rockstar who had nothing but respect for all the women he encountered, that includes women who became friends, motherly, etc... for a day or for a lifetime....

Richard does value Jimmy's respect for women in Stairway to Heaven, (and I do trust Jimmy, he would never mislead anyone)....Richard writes that Jimmy is classy English Rockstar who had nothing but respect for all the women he encountered, that includes women who became friends, motherly, etc... for a day or for a lifetime....

Yes, but Jimmy comes out of the book looking better than others because Cole was on better terms with him than others.

And I assume still is, judging by Knebby's information. ;)

Ehmm, nothing against Jimmy but he said it himself that "Aleister Crowley doesn't have an high opinion of women and I don't think he is wrong".

I was unaware of this interview until now. I'd really like to get a copy of it, and may

contact WNEW directly to see if it's archived if no one else has it. Cole's book was

released in July 1992 and received mixed reviews.

I actually, had thought of devoting a thread to this, but since I didn't have the exact quote and info on it, I went against it. I was just waiting for the right moment to include it in another thread and this was the a good one. It was a classic moment. When Carol asked Jimmy that question, I immediately thought to myself, "She didn't just ask him that". As I was aware of what the band thought of Cole's book. I guess she needs to do more background work before she does an interview.

I hope you succeed in finding that interview. I'd love to hear it again.

Yes, but Jimmy comes out of the book looking better than others because Cole was on better terms with him than others.

And I assume still is, judging by Knebby's information. ;)

This thread is in danger of becoming derailed from it's original purpose but...

Aquamarine I agree with you

...he probably is and he should be (life is too short!). In the past, Richard Cole was" there" for Robert Plant in '77 in time of his greatest tragedy, either via his own admission or by obligation...fact is HE was there, as he cared for Robert in '75. Also, I always understood that Page being the CEO of Zep, Peter Grant (RIP) was "more" in line with Page.

QUOTE (Chicago @ Feb 5 2009, 04:50 PM)

I know we tend t disagree re this stuff Chicago, so please don't take this personally - but I think this is a rather romanticised view. Jimmy didn't specifically choose to have time out to be with his growing family - in fact he isn't with them every day - and if at any point since the kids were born he had had the opportunity to go out on a tour with Led Zeppelin I bet my house he would have done. He was willing only recently to become what you call an "absentee parent" to take Led Zeppelin out on tour, I think it is stretching things a little to say he is not making music at the moment because he's chosen to be at home being a parent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's called the flow and ebb of life. Things change and you adapt. I don't have knowledge of Jimmy's daily existence and don't claim to. But he has talked of being more involved with his growing family and you don't live outside the bubble of that. Jeff Beck and Robert Plant have mentioned in interviews of Jimmy raising his kids and how great his children are. I don't think they covering for him.So at whatever level he's been their for them and attentive.

I'm sure he would've loved to tour with a Zeppelin reformation but we all know that wasn't going to happen. You switch gears and move on.

Ehmm, nothing against Jimmy but he said it himself that "Aleister Crowley doesn't have an high opinion of women and I don't think he is wrong".

glicine, this has been been discussed many times before on this forum...

As much as I admire Page, he should have never made this statement (in fact If he did, I don't know for sure). I don't take this statement at it's face value as if that is what HE for sure believed. Incidents of this nature happen to people when they become passionate about a certain way of life or thinking of another being...I will cut him a break...I think he was just young and passionate discovering life in all it's pros and cons...one has to value actions, not words...so far, I find him to be very classy about his relationships...

glicine, this has been been discussed many times before on this forum...

As much as I admire Page, he should have never made this statement (in fact If he did, I don't know for sure).

Yeah he did. Like many others, I have the interview, and the interviewer has it on tape.

He wasn't that young at the time either.

Edited by Knebby