Miracles that have altered your course

Evster2012

In 1990, my father died suddenly and totally unexpectedly. My family owned a restaurant (I was the manager) and when this happened, my mom completely lost it. She sold the restaurant and devoted her time to bereavement groups. Meanwhile, her 24 year old son was out of a job. Unemployment had peaked in Southern California at that time and I was well fucked. I lost my home, my brand new Z28 Camaro, everything fell in one huge crash. I was sleeping in the park, living out of my backpack. It was November and thankfully I was an experienced long distance backpacker, so I had top shelf gear. Things went from bad to worse and I came to the point where I was looking for a suitable piece of cardboard to make a “Will work for food” sign. I decided the only shot I had was to get out of the area and start over entirely. In the words of Jules from Pulp Fiction, I was going to “walk the Earth”. I decided to make a spiritual pilgrimage out to the Mojave Desert where I’d spent so many nights camping with my friends in the past. I was checking over my maps making links between known water sources and came across an icon of a church. Under it was, in tiny type, the word “monastery”. I resolved to make for the monastery and ask for sanctuary. I hitchhiked the 100 miles to the desert and walked for several days to the remote location, 25 miles from the highway. I was taken in by the abbot. The monks were Coptic Orthodox Egyptians who barely spoke English. I guess they considered me some kind of “find” as I was spiritually pretty much a blank slate. . I stayed there for several weeks, living, eating, working and praying with the monks.

One day, this guy showed up. He said he was thinking of becoming an ascetic and was investigating different monasteries looking for the one for him. I told him my story. It turns out the guy was a rock and roll guitar player, so we had some common interests (aside from a common language, lol). He said his church would help me and I could come and stay with him. The next day, much to the abbot’s disappointment, we left together. It turns out this guy lived in Boulder Creek, an absolutely idyllic little town in the Redwoods above Santa Cruz, south of San Francisco. A few weeks later (December 26th), in torrential rain, I walked to town in search of a job. I saw a sign in the window of an A&W Drive-In. Expecting to start flipping burgers for 5 bucks an hour, it turned out the guy needed a manager. Seems his current manager was getting along in her pregnancy and it was time to stop the grind. So I was offered a full-time job and a salary. The next day I met the manager, Mary Beth. She was my age and a fellow Led/Deadhead. We became instant friends. As it turned out, with her being off work, she and her husband needed to rent out a room in their house. They gave me the master bedroom which had a giant picture window right next to the bed looking right onto the river! Deer would cruise right by feet from where I lay. When they had the baby, they decided they needed their own place and they let me take over the lease. I invited my best bud from back home to move up. So there I was, barely six months after my father’s passing and the collapse of my world, running another restaurant and living in a riverside cottage in the redwoods, something I’d always dreamed of after seeing Robert and his family in TSRTS.

It just goes to show how things can turn around in the strangest and most amazing ways.

Then there was the time I met this chick named Angi on LZ.com and found my soulmate.

What a ride!

Great story, Ev! Thanks for re-telling it, bro.

I had some of it right, and some of it I had mixed up.

Anyway,.. it is amazing how things can happen like that. "Grace",.. how wondrous!

The times of the greatest upheaval in one's life are also times of great possibility.

I'm glad it worked out for ya, brother.

:hippy:

Thanks my friend! As you well know we're facing a similar upheaval right now. It's been 15 years since that happened, and I'm biting down hard that it doesn't come to it again. We've got some seed money, and hopefully some poor schmuck will hire me! :rolleyes:

We just need to make it to 2012! :hysterical:

Nice story indeed. Me? Miracles? What miracles??! Never seen one in my life...looking after #1 (and #2 now :) :)) has always been my motto, BUT I know someone UP THERE OR ANYWHERE for that matter is keeping an eye out for me!! :)

Rob

Thanks my friend! As you well know we're facing a similar upheaval right now. It's been 15 years since that happened, and I'm biting down hard that it doesn't come to it again. We've got some seed money, and hopefully some poor schmuck will hire me! :rolleyes:

Ev, that’s such a heartfelt story, but such an encouraging one for anyone who feels the odds are against them. I, and many, many others hope that your current situation comes good. Which it will because you've seen the bottom and people who experience that don't want to go back there. I know. Thanks for sharing that piece of your life. :beer:

mmmm..... 2012! Still hanging onto that lemon :unsure: If your right then make sure everydays a good one.

Hey Whyalla!!! :wave:

Missed you! Tis good to be back! :beer:

Hiya mate, :wave:

I've been around reading the posts and stuff... but nothin' much to say (really). I think I'm still struck dumb by the O2! Anyway I'm glad your still up we don't cross posts very often nowadays (no innuendo intended) :blush:

Hiya mate, :wave:

I've been around reading the posts and stuff... but nothin' much to say (really). I think I'm still struck dumb by the O2! Anyway I'm glad your still up we don't cross posts very often nowadays (no innuendo intended) :blush:

We can cross swords anytime mate! Pun intended and totally joking! :lol:

Yeah, we're all a bit reeling from the O2 methinks, aren't we. The bloody tour speculation has me dizzy. So many threads! I wish we could just make a blanket statement that there ain't a wish to grab onto at this point, but the bloody press keeps fueling it anyway.

Hey all, we know better than the press! Trust us. If there's something coming, watch this space! :beer:

We can cross swords anytime mate! Pun intended and totally joking! :lol:

Yeah, we're all a bit reeling from the O2 methinks, aren't we. The bloody tour speculation has me dizzy. So many threads! I wish we could just make a blanket statement that there ain't a wish to grab onto at this point, but the bloody press keeps fueling it anyway.

Hey all, we know better than the press! Trust us. If there's something coming, watch this space! :beer:

I know, it's hold onto your seats time again. But every press statement is just a re-hash of the first one but with a different strap-line! :bagoverhead: Ever had that feeling we've been here before :lol:

But your spot on - If there's something coming this is the place to be.

Albeit in a round about sort of way. :hysterical:

I know, it's hold onto your seats time again. But every press statement is just a re-hash of the first one but with a different strap-line! :bagoverhead: Ever had that feeling we've been here before :lol:

But your spot on - If there's something coming this is the place to be.

Albeit in a round about sort of way. :hysterical:

Reminds me of that movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray - we keep reliving the same rumour threads over and over :wacko::lol:

Reminds me of that movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray - we keep reliving the same rumour threads over and over :wacko::lol:

They say we're young and we don't know

We won't find out until we grow

Well I don't know if all that's true

'Cause you got me, and baby I got you

Babe.......................................... :)

Loved ones-check

sleeping bag-check

Mountain top- check

4 cases of beer-check

ready....

Ev. thanks for sharing your inspiring story – and for your candor. It takes guts to lay out personal experiences, in so much detail, on a message board. Because it takes guts, I don’t know how many people will post here and I don’t know how many of them will share details to the extent that you did. I’m not gutsy so here’s my contribution, minus the details:

I (alone and then with my husband) have been where you were then (and where you are now) several times in my (our) life. I’m not sure if my course was altered (or road changed) because of miracles because I am not certain that miracles exist. Miracles may indeed exist and they may indeed have altered my course but I haven’t recognized or identified them as miracles. Instead, I’ve always attributed the altering of my course primarily to fate and to the people the universe sent to me. Ultimately, I don’t think it matters what name we assign to that thing that altered our course – miracle, divine intervention, fate – because, in the end, our course was altered.

I can’t speak for you but, in my case, I believe that I’ve found myself in those situations because, as a risk taker and thrill seeker, I’ve always shunned the safer, more secure, middle road. As a result, I’ve had incredible, amazing experiences. But, because the pendulum always swings back the other way, the incredible, amazing experiences don’t always last.

In my case, a pendulum starting from such a high point meant that when it swung back the other way, my falls were always farther, harder, and deeper. There were also times when I was unable to distinguish the high points from the depths. I remember when I believed that I was “a lucky little lady in the city of light” but, after having an epiphany, I realized that I was “just another lost angel, city of night…”

I’ve learned much from those experiences – the high points and the depths. I became a keen observer of people and learned, for the most part, how to distinguish the good from the bad, the sincere from the b.s.ers. Because of the way in which I've lived my life, I'm not intimidated by many things that set others quivering - celebrity status, income occupation, education, or any other signifiers of social standing. I've also learned to be non-judgmental and to look beyond people's transgressions to find the real person that lies behind all of that.

When I have been in the depths, (maybe in the place where you are now or have been in the past) the universe always sent me a friend or a lover who was the counterweight to those depths.

T'was in the darkest depths of Mordor

I met a boy so fair. My soulmate and the love of my life. :wub:

I know that I am incredibly blessed and life has given me more than I ever could have dreamed of for myself. As bad as they were, I wouldn’t trade those depths though because, without them, I wouldn’t have had those incredible highs.

Sorry there's not much detail here but I think you get the idea. :beer:

I (alone and then with my husband) have been where you were then (and where you are now) several times in my (our) life. I’m not sure if my course was altered (or road changed) because of miracles because I am not certain that miracles exist. Miracles may indeed exist and they may indeed have altered my course but I haven’t recognized or identified them as miracles. Instead, I’ve always attributed the altering of my course primarily to fate and to the people the universe sent to me. Ultimately, I don’t think it matters what name we assign to that thing that altered our course – miracle, divine intervention, fate – because, in the end, our course was altered.

I suppose the use of term miracle may have been out of place. I don't believe it was a miracle, but rather a beautiful series of events.

I remember when I believed that I was “a lucky little lady in the city of light” but, after having an epiphany, I realized that I was “just another lost angel, city of night…”

That is soo beautifully put (and I know why it's so appropriate!)!!

Sorry there's not much detail here but I think you get the idea. :beer:

Sure nuff I do!

For me, it was a difficult childhood. I was shunned by my peers. I was the kid who got chased home from the schoolbus every day. My few friends were the outcast. It wasn't until I started lugging my guitar to school in junior high that I became "cool" in their eyes, and that was among the stoners who approved of me cause I played Zeppelin, Sabbath, Floyd etc.! :lol:

I do like to think that gave me a greater sensitivity for people (though it may just be that I have 5 planets in water signs! :lol: )

I suppose the use of term miracle may have been out of place. I don't believe it was a miracle, but rather a beautiful series of events.

That is soo beautifully put (and I know why it's so appropriate!)!!

No, if you believe in miracles, then the term is certainly not out of place for you. Whatever we choose to believe or call such things, they did alter our courses.

Thanks.

Sure nuff I do!

For me, it was a difficult childhood. I was shunned by my peers. I was the kid who got chased home from the schoolbus every day. My few friends were the outcast. It wasn't until I started lugging my guitar to school in junior high that I became "cool" in their eyes, and that was among the stoners who approved of me cause I played Zeppelin, Sabbath, Floyd etc.! :lol:

I do like to think that gave me a greater sensitivity for people (though it may just be that I have 5 planets in water signs! :lol: )

I didn't realize that about your childhood. As a child, I was an outlier too. Then, when I was in jr high/hs I was an outlier once again, but at that time for different reasons. My best friends were the stoners who themselves were shunned, but they were non-judgmental and their friendship was unconditional.

I'm sure those experiences did give you a greater sensitivity for people. btw, I'm an air sign, wouldn't you know?

I'm sure those experiences did give you a greater sensitivity for people. btw, I'm an air sign, wouldn't you know?

I'm a Gemini. Pisces rising. Cancer moon.

Chart.jpg

Rising Sign is in 22 Degrees Pisces

Sun is in 27 Degrees Gemini.

Moon is in 03 Degrees Cancer.

Mercury is in 20 Degrees Cancer.

Venus is in 21 Degrees Taurus.

Jupiter is in 09 Degrees Cancer.

Saturn is in 29 Degrees Pisces.

Uranus is in 15 Degrees Virgo.

Neptune is in 19 Degrees Scorpio.

Pluto is in 15 Degrees Virgo.

N. Node is in 25 Degrees Taurus.

Draw your own conclusions, if you can be bothered! :lol

I should copy this to the astrology thread! :beer:

This is completely random, but there is a guy in my Bio class who looks just like you, Ev. When he came in the first day I had to do a double take, LOL.

Anyway, this is an interesting thread. It goes to show you that maybe bad things do happen for a reason, because the good things couldn't happen without them.

Wow Ev, as long as I've been around here I never saw that story! Amazing and just very cool!

The part where I found myself in a riverside cottage or the part where all my peers kicked the shit out of me daily? :hysterical:

Haha! Hey, tell your dad to get back Lo-retta! I miss him! :beer:

In 1990, my father died suddenly and totally unexpectedly.

What a ride!

Well EV on my profile it says life is like a rollercoaster !! Ups and downs and when your down, its the thought of the good times that keep you going !!

Here is my little story and as its going to get lost in this thread I will write it down !!

In 1994 while my daughter was 4yrs old and my son was 3yrs old, I made a decision that would change my life forever !! I went and got a job abroad in Oman, thus being away from the family 3 months at a time. I did this because we needed the money and I thought the sacrifice would be worth it ! It was hard to be away from them as I adored my kids. They did come out to live for 3 months in the first year, but as it was getting nearer to my daughters 5th birthday we could not find a place at a English speaking school out there so they went home to England so she could go to school !!

Fast forward a year and my kids and wife came out for 3 weeks to see me, My first bombshell was that My wife wanted to split (ironically after we split i had a letter through saying there was places now for the kids achool in Oman :blink: )!! Within 4 months of us splitting up I was involved in a car crash, had a brain hemorrhage out in Oman !! I remember lying in hospital out there thinking would I ever see my kids again and would I live !! I did :) but I was left with epilepsy, I couldn't even play my guitar for ages as I couldn't coordinate my left and right hands. I lost my career and came home to England in 97 , I too was homeless and slept in the garden shed at the bottom of my old house without them knowing for a few weeks !! I then went slept on the beach.I lost my driving licence too, my life too had fallen apart within a year I had lost my family,home and career, but I did a least have my life.

Fast forward to now I still suffer from Auras which are a type of seizure but I haven't had a grand Mal for a year now ( the classic break dance shaky one ). I have had my kids live with me and or still see them all the time (now 18 and 16 yrs old). I still cant drive now due to auras preventing me but am back working although not at my career due to Epilepsy, but I am SO much better and like you miracles do happen as I was spared my life, I play guitar again and I met someone of the net too !!! :D

So like your story I hope people read this and when things are down,Know that things will get better in time :D

Didn't want to steal your thread but just felt like sticking it down !! :beer:

Archived