Jimmy versus Jimi

Evster2012

In my opinion, none of Hendrix's "essential" or "greatest hits" re-packages will do the trick. They leave out too many good songs that a lot of people should know about. Plus, Jimi was good at mixing short and long songs of various types that made each recording a unique experience. I literally think that since there were only three studio releases in Jimi's lifetime, everyone should buy them. Then get some of the rest of the stuff.

yes, I definately agree that any 'greatest hits' packages, especially by hendrix, always leave out something...cant please everyone i suppose...ironically i discovered jimi thru purchasing "Smash HIts"!!! Before I discovered who he was, everyone I talked to would say, "he's the greatest guitar player ever.." etc. When I first heard Purple Haze I wasn't impressed at all. Granted, this was '78 by then and I had already 'gave myself to zep' so to speak...but the overall sound of jimi's instrument on that 'smash hits' was something I couldn't put my finger on...it wasn't just the tone, either. I just knew there was something special about this guy and his music...hearing the freaky sound on "Can you see me" and the (now) classic sound of "watchtower"...even though he was obviously dead and gone at that point, my interest had been piqued...and I dug deeper. I discovered that Jimi's 'hits' were just the bait...the real meat and bones was the groundbreaking songs like "Manic Depression", "Third Stone From the Sun", "Are You experienced?"...so many to list, but the 'hits' dont even count in my eyes..."Hey Joe" most know it wasn't even Jimi's song...and he was soooo sick of playing it by 1968!!!!

Masterpieces like "Bold as Love", "Castles Made of Sand", etc. are oft overlooked. I haven't even gotten to "Electric Ladyland" lp yet!! "Have you ever been... (to electric ladyland)" contains possibly his most soulfoul, heartfelt vocals....and lets talk about the song, "Voodoo Chile", with Steve Windwood on organ. No, not "Voodoo Child slight return" (well I stand up next to a mountain...)

The song "Voodoo Chile" (ryhmes with 'mile') is yet another masterpiece of the blues...most knuckleheads sometimes pronounce it "Voodoo Chili"...idiots...the same ones who think and say that he was overrated, no doubt, the ones who know nothing about him or his music....

SORRY TO SAY EVERYONE IS WRONG THE GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL TIME IS ANDRE SEGOVIA THE GUITARIST WHO WAS MISSING FINGERS ON HIS PLAYING HAND. HE ALSO SAID THE ELECTRIC GUITAR WAS A ABOMINATION.

well, actually there are soooo many great guitarists that rarely are mentioned much less remembered...wes montgomery anyone? i know he had an influence on many whether they know it or not!

SORRY TO SAY EVERYONE IS WRONG THE GREATEST GUITARIST OF ALL TIME IS ANDRE SEGOVIA THE GUITARIST WHO WAS MISSING FINGERS ON HIS PLAYING HAND. HE ALSO SAID THE ELECTRIC GUITAR WAS A ABOMINATION.

You're thinking of Django Reinhardt.

Electric Ladyland is one of the greatest double albums OAT,Physical Graffiti is one of its only contenders.

You're thinking of Django Reinhardt.

Electric Ladyland is one of the greatest double albums OAT,Physical Graffiti is one of its only contenders.

ill join in with the banal banter,

in my view, without doubt the best was this man: segovia was so so jealous of him that he ignored him, and turned the other cheek when people mentioned his very name, not even page + hendrix could compare to him,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agustin_Barrios

I have to agree with Ev here. The thing is, as brilliant as Hendrix was, he really had one idea and one essential sound. I get really bored after one song because they all basically sound the same. Jimmy, on the other hand, has always had a whole range of sounds, ideas, and compositional strategies, and is just a more developed musician (and already was in 1970).

I'm with you Alison! :D

Jimmy was and remains until this day the only one to grab me by the throat and demand I listen to his every work of Art - His Intensity leaps out of the speakers whatever he is playing.And, for me, HE is the ONLY one able to do that. I don't CARE that someone else may be "technically" better - they don't MOVE me like Jimmy Page does and always has from the first moment I heard him. - NUFF said

A lot of nonsense here, whether either guy moves you or not. There's a whole list of guitarists you can pit against each other here, but the one thing both James' have in common is creating a "sonic movement."

Jimi's sound was the essence of chaos. He broke all the rules and created an entire movement of followers trying to capture the tortured energy he exuded. Few were successful (SRV and Frank Marino come to mind). Robin Trower was greatly influenced by Jimi's sound and was actually kicked in the pants for sounding like him (though his style was very different).

Jimmy's sound is that of ultimate organization - controlled energy release, structure = function. His sound has a physiology.

Every modern guitarist has been influenced by these guys whether they know it or not, but you can say that about Blackmore, Howe, Gilmour et al. Most of these guys were influenced by musicians of the same genre, but they developed their own styles and adaptations as the instruments/effects/amplification and recording technologies improved (which is the area where Jimmy surpasses most, if not all modern guitarists/musicians/composers).

Every time I listen to "Machine Gun" from Band of Gypsies all I ever think of is "who could ever top this". I've been thinking this for 37 years now.............and the answer that always comes back to me is................."nobody".

All the legends you can name (and Page is surely among them).......nobody ever played like Hendrix when he was inspired and not having to showboat on stage constantly.

Hell, listen to Machine Gun for yourself if you haven't already. Jimi had that bluesy voodoo thing in his playing that I've never heard anybody else have during his life or since.

How can anybody possibly argue against Jimi Hendrix.

Regards;

there are two jimmy Vs threads in this very board, one is pitting v hendrix, one against van halen.

most banal argument i've ever heard, anyone who sells records in tens of millions is a great, whether they fart, play banjo, or a tin whistle,music is about moving the human soul in way words cannot, not comparing guitar solos,

people travel to see them play live,listen to their music all their lives, these jimmy v xyz threads are irksome, somone think of a good thread ?

btw, jimmy is a god, hendrix's playing isn't bad either, but hendrix looked the part more than page, was in the media more, page was much more "underground" and like many young people who die so young, is lionised for eternity.

if the roles had been reversed, and page would of died in when hendrix did in sep 1970, and hendrix would still be with us today, page would of been idolised even more so.

there's no way hendrix could top his 1st 3 albums had he survived, no way, so in many people's eyes he's the ultimate tragic rock and roller, while page was a survivor, rode the storm....

Every time I listen to "Machine Gun" from Band of Gypsies all I ever think of is "who could ever top this". I've been thinking this for 37 years now.............and the answer that always comes back to me is................."nobody".

All the legends you can name (and Page is surely among them).......nobody ever played like Hendrix when he was inspired and not having to showboat on stage constantly.

Hell, listen to Machine Gun for yourself if you haven't already. Jimi had that bluesy voodoo thing in his playing that I've never heard anybody else have during his life or since.

Regards;

Yes, I couldn't agree more...I think the only people who argue against Jimi's stunning groundbreaking abilities are those who are in denial (for whatever reasons) or those that are simply uneducated in his work. For those of you that say "he doesn't move me..." well, lke Bill Grahmn famously said about LZ, "You cant feel vibes in a cement factory..." or something to that effect.

And yes, I know it's just your "opinions". I have nothing against your choice. It in no way afffects the legacy that this brilliant man has given us.

It's akin to saying the holocaust never happened. You have the right to say and even believe such rubbish, but that obviously doesn't mean it didn't happen!

So I say to the Jimi slaggers: Do youself a favor and do a little research, actually listen to something other than "Hey Joe", listen to "Pali-Gap"...Instead of listening to "Purple Haze", listen to something with substance like "House Burning Down"...there are scores of examples i could list...

there's no way hendrix could top his 1st 3 albums had he survived, no way, so in many people's eyes he's the ultimate tragic rock and roller, while page was a survivor, rode the storm....

apparently you've never heard of "First Rays of the New Rising Sun"...

apparently you've never heard of "First Rays of the New Rising Sun"...

yes i have, of course, listened to it lots, still doenst detract form the fact that his huge impact impact was in the 1st 3 albums....come on m8, even you must see this... not an album eddie kramer finished off many yrs after hendrix passed away

yes i have, of course, listened to it lots, still doenst detract form the fact that his huge impact impact was in the 1st 3 albums....come on m8, even you must see this... not an album eddie kramer finished off many yrs after hendrix passed away

not sure what you mean by "m8" but the point being that the majority of the tracks from "first rays..." were already near completion at the time of Jimi's passing. So whether or not E kramer "finished it" or not is irrelevant...

I did not really mean to imply that "Rays" topped his first three masterpieces...the point i was trying to make is that Jimi's (like most true artists) music was constantly evolving and imho just as viable as his earlier works. Was Led Zeppelin II better than "Houses"? Of course not because they are different and not intended to be the same...Should Jimi have just kept re-writing "Purple Haze"...of course not...

not sure what you mean by "m8" but the point being that the majority of the tracks from "first rays..." were already near completion at the time of Jimi's passing. So whether or not E kramer "finished it" or not is irrelevant...

I did not really mean to imply that "Rays" topped his first three masterpieces...the point i was trying to make is that Jimi's (like most true artists) music was constantly evolving and imho just as viable as his earlier works. Was Led Zeppelin II better than "Houses"? Of course not because they are different and not intended to be the same...Should Jimi have just kept re-writing "Purple Haze"...of course not...

couldn't agree with you more.

I think a good portion of First Rays is Jimi's most inspired and focused work. Electric Ladyland was very sprawling, Axis focused more on the songs than on the guitar playing. But the songs on First Rays (especially Freedom, Izabella, Angel, Dolly Dagger, Ezy Rider, and Hey Baby). It reminded me a lot of Are You Experienced in that it was a great combination of songs and guitar playing. You can tell on a couple of tracks that it was unfinished. I know Hendrix intended on making a double album, but I would've told him that if he would've shortened it to 11 songs, it would've been his greatest release ever. I would've cut it to these tracks:

1. Freedom

2. Izabella

3. Night Bird Flying

4. Angel

5. Room Full Of Mirrors

6. Dolly Dagger

7. Ezy Rider

8. Stepping Stone

9. Straight Ahead

10. Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)

11. In From The Storm

A lot of nonsense here, whether either guy moves you or not. There's a whole list of guitarists you can pit against each other here, but the one thing both James' have in common is creating a "sonic movement."

Jimi's sound was the essence of chaos. He broke all the rules and created an entire movement of followers trying to capture the tortured energy he exuded. Few were successful (SRV and Frank Marino come to mind). Robin Trower was greatly influenced by Jimi's sound and was actually kicked in the pants for sounding like him (though his style was very different).

Jimmy's sound is that of ultimate organization - controlled energy release, structure = function. His sound has a physiology.

Every modern guitarist has been influenced by these guys whether they know it or not, but you can say that about Blackmore, Howe, Gilmour et al. Most of these guys were influenced by musicians of the same genre, but they developed their own styles and adaptations as the instruments/effects/amplification and recording technologies improved (which is the area where Jimmy surpasses most, if not all modern guitarists/musicians/composers).

Interesting read! :)

Here is my interpretation of Jimi vs Jimmy.

Riffs: Both could create killer riffs, but to me I would say that Page was a better Riffer. When I hear Hendrix songs it seems like he wants to break away from the riff after 2 minutes.

Solos: Both could nail thier Solos. I would say that Hendrix was more about the Solo than Page. Even in extended jams with Zep. There is no denying that Hendrix was a better suited for Solos. Page is better at riffs.

Sonic sounds: Both are equal. I always have a certain imagery with both. Page to me has a duality. Gunslinger which could be represented in Wanton Song or Custard Pie, and Wizard which is represented in D/C and WLL. Hendrix to me was more Voodoo Witch Doctor. He was more in Wizard mode for the most part. He can go deeper than most.

Social Recognition: Hendrix is more popular all around than Page outside of the rock world. Page is more locked into Zep than he is a solo figure. Funny enough Keith Richards is famous with or without the Stones.

Stage Pressence: Both are strong and equal in their performance. Although I would say Jimmy makes love to his guitar. Pages guitar is more of a weapon or magic wand.

Focal Point: Page has the riffs and chameleon like ability to change his music around. Hendrix can take you on a Journey through space and time.

They tie in my mind.

A quick view on both. Hendrix is a the master soloist. Page is the master rifer.

Mc7

Regards;

Right on man. If i had to pick one track ( by anyone) as my all time favourite it would be that version of "Machine Gun" it's soaring sonic beauty and howling harrowing despair just send me somewhere no other piece of music has ever done.. ever will,not for the past 35+ years or so anyway... so intense so moving.......WOW.......

Archived