I am now loving IN THROUGH THE OUT DOOR!

Tunderfoot77

ITTOD was Zepp's reply to the Punkers and Critics who were trying to write LZ's Obit at that time.

This has often been said but I don't really agree with it. Other than Wearing And Tearing which did not make the album this album seems to be just a reaction to Jimmy Page not being around as much. I don't think Punk played a role in the writing of it.

Now I'll admit In Through the Out Door was always my least played of all the Zep albums I own. I even play CODA more than ITTOD! like some of the songs like especially Fool In the Rain, but I usually listen to it and the others from that album when I put on CD 4 from the box set. It wasn't until I heard Carouselambra after not hearing it for years on the radio that I really I've been playing the CD over and over. I now appreciate it John Paul Jones synth work on this album. The sound on "Carouselambra" and "In the Evening" was as good as any New Wave at the time and predated Van Halen's "Jump" , Robert's grief and heartbreak in "All My Love" and Southbound Suarez is just plain FUN!

Wow I always thought ITTOD was a great album. Different strokes.

Coda I wasn't a big fan of .. and I only would pull a couple of tracks off of presence.

The Big ones were always II, IV ( lil III and I of course) .. Graffiti, Houses and ITTOD... but they all got airplay in my brain LOL

I've heard no mention anywhere that anyone from ABBA sang on Hot Dog, and I would be hard convinced of it without concrete proof.

That said, I love the album. Always have, since the day I watched the guy at the record store cut the box open for me the day it came out. I got cover number three. And yes, I sat in my bedroom listening to it while I applied water and q-tip to the inside sleeve to see the colors come out. :beer:

I read it in the Melody Maker review when ITTOD was released. Just listened again through my headphones and it still sounds like them to me. I must admit to failing to find any confirmation on the internet though.

As Page said in the Melody Maker interview of August 79, that this album is a bird's eye view of the future in relation to the music. In through your out door had it all: the rocker, the ballad, the cuntry, the synth, the blues, the rave up, the samba. Too bad the band never got to explore the future with it.

As Page said in the Melody Maker interview of August 79, that this album is a bird's eye view of the future in relation to the music. In through your out door had it all: the rocker, the ballad, the cuntry, the synth, the blues, the rave up, the samba. Too bad the band never got to explore the future with it.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread or not... but in another thread we discussed the future after ITTOD... and jimmy said a more hard-rock themed album we on slate...

Although it is a "fun" album, it also has the only Zeppelin song that can make me cry: "All My Love." This song is such a masterpiece, it's unbelievable. It's way up there on my list of favorite Zeppelin songs.

i'm with you...All My Love is one of my favs, too; its and unbelievably moving song. My son (now almost 6) loves it too, and when we listen to it together I can't help but think how incredibly sad it must of have been for Robert to have lost his young son of a similar age, and then sort of immortalize him and that experience of loss in this song. its like he took the worst event of his life, the saddest thing a parent could endure and then made a beautiful and poetic "masterpeice" of a song that perhaps he sees as a way to honor that child, and then shares that pain and love with the world. The whole thing is just overwhelming.

I always thought ITTOT was a mataphor for anal sex.

HA!

It's a possibility. But, at the time, JP said that as they'd been out of the spotlight for a while going in through the outdoor was the hardest way back.

i think ITTOD is fluent and the songs are in great order besides being great themselves. carouselhambra in particular caught my attention. in the evening and south bound suarez are groovy. hot dog is really only listenable when i'm smashed on the couch unable to reach the space bar. its almost the cute zeppelin song if there exists one. all my love and fool in the rain are really likable tunes. im gonna crawl another traditionally sound blues number. such a good album that the synth even sounds good.

also those in the evening >carouselhambra>in the evening renditions from the 90's are fantastic. i hope jason can play a good tabla!

Great album, not one my absolute favs, but it was different, and it would have been interesting to see what would have been to follow. It has grown on me a lot, so i will see how i feel with a few more listening expirences. It's ZEPPELIN! Shouldn't be too tough.

• 2 weeks later...

Of all the songs on that album, I find myself listening to "I'm Gonna Crawl" the most. To me it's also kind of a sad song as well, knowing this was the very last album from them, and in about a year Bonzo would be gone. :(

I have always held ITTOD in high regard. I think Carouselambra is of a quality on it's own and I love it dearly so. I would want to cover it come day had I learned piano. I'd like to learn organ actually. In my opinion I think JPJ deserved an album to take on for most of the creative effort.

ITTOD was known as the anti-presence and since I prefer it over presence I see it as Zeppelin in a whole new light. Same language in their writing but a different sound.

Of all the songs on that album, I find myself listening to "I'm Gonna Crawl" the most. To me it's also kind of a sad song as well, knowing this was the very last album from them, and in about a year Bonzo would be gone. :(

Too bad I hate the lyrics. Sooooo cliché.

I think Hot Dog kicks ass, it is Led Zeppelin just throwin it out there and having fun. The drums on Fool in the Rain are amazing. Listen to this album it plain rocks. Listen to the base line of Carouselambra John Paul Jones is a GOD. This album shows that Led Zeppelin was truly the sum of four parts. They have to all be there to be Zeppelin. I am all about a new tour, but it isn't and can never truly be LED ZEPPELIN. I think i ill go listen to ITTOD now

I didn't care too much about In Through The Out Door a few years ago but now I love it! It's not as great as the first five albums but it's pretty good, I prefer it to Presence and Coda. Carouselambra is great, and I also like In the evening and South Bound Saurez a lot.

Archived