What are you watching on TV now?

roblindblad

9 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

I stopped watching after season 5 though I should have stopped after season 4 as all the story lines had played out. Every season since the 5th has been a crapper rehash of prior seasons.

BTW, I know it's a show and fiction but come on already, anyone drinking like Ray does would be dead within a month. Shit, I think Nick Cage's character in Leaving Las Vegas drank less than Ray and he died at the end.

The plot holes got larger and larger with each episode, horrible script writing and even continuity issues (like Ray ordering a drink at the bar, drinking it and just walking out without even paying for it!  And don't get me started on his being kidnapped, beaten to a pulp, jumping out a two store window to escape then out running the two professional assassins chasing him!  UGGHHH!

I used to complain about the series endings of "Penny Dreadful" and "Dexter", but compared to "Game of Thrones", "Californication" and "Ray Donovan", those endings were genius! 

4 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

The plot holes got larger and larger with each episode, horrible script writing and even continuity issues (like Ray ordering a drink at the bar, drinking it and just walking out without even paying for it!  And don't get me started on his being kidnapped, beaten to a pulp, jumping out a two store window to escape then out running the two professional assassins chasing him!  UGGHHH!

I used to complain about the series endings of "Penny Dreadful" and "Dexter", but compared to "Game of Thrones", "Californication" and "Ray Donovan", those endings were genius! 

Loved Penny Dreadful but your right, the finale was crap. IMO the best story line and the best acting was done by Rory Kinnear who played Frankenstein's creature. That guy acted his re-animated ass off but they almost ignored him toward the end. Instead we get Josh Harnett turning into a pissed off dog and one lousy episode with the amazing Brian Cox making up the majority of the third season, along with a flat full off murderous ex-prostitutes and a low-energy Dracula looking after his crew of Oliver Twist rejects. Just a mess.

Did you see Penny Dreadful: City of Angels? Another one with great story lines going mostly undeveloped. LA from the mid-30's to the late-50's was an amazing time for LA. This season should have easily written itself and been better than the first three seasons but nooooooooo. 

44 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

Loved Penny Dreadful but your right, the finale was crap. IMO the best story line and the best acting was done by Rory Kinnear who played Frankenstein's creature. That guy acted his re-animated ass off but they almost ignored him toward the end. Instead we get Josh Harnett turning into a pissed off dog and one lousy episode with the amazing Brian Cox making up the majority of the third season, along with a flat full off murderous ex-prostitutes and a low-energy Dracula looking after his crew of Oliver Twist rejects. Just a mess.

Did you see Penny Dreadful: City of Angels? Another one with great story lines going mostly undeveloped. LA from the mid-30's to the late-50's was an amazing time for LA. This season should have easily written itself and been better than the first three seasons but nooooooooo. 

To be fair on "Penny Dreadful", I read that they were told IN THE MIDDLE OF FILMING THE THIRD SEASPON that that would be their LAST season, so they had to re-write the last half of the season to give it some kind of conclusion.  That explains why Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde was introduced in the third season only for that character and story line to go no where.

I was hoping that "City of Angels" would be a continuation of the original but it sounded so different with the location and time period that I never gave it a shot.  I will now!

And you are so right about Rory Kinnear - phenomenal performance.  

33 minutes ago, Electrophile said:

Judge Judy. Yes, I know it's trashy TV, but some of the people who agree to appear on the show really should have thought twice. Or, at the very least asked themselves if the money is worth the extreme humiliation.

LOVE me some Judge Judy!!  Everybody from co-workers to repair people that come to the house give me crap about it - I don't care!  I still prefer her old format and miss Petri Hawkins-Byrd.

2 hours ago, Electrophile said:

Judge Judy. Yes, I know it's trashy TV, but some of the people who agree to appear on the show really should have thought twice. Or, at the very least asked themselves if the money is worth the extreme humiliation.

Never got into Judge Judy, she is such a nasty piece of work. Why would anyone willingly subject themselves to her abuse? I simply cannot stand that woman. Even Wapner was better than her.

3 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

To be fair on "Penny Dreadful", I read that they were told IN THE MIDDLE OF FILMING THE THIRD SEASPON that that would be their LAST season, so they had to re-write the last half of the season to give it some kind of conclusion.  That explains why Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde was introduced in the third season only for that character and story line to go no where.

I was hoping that "City of Angels" would be a continuation of the original but it sounded so different with the location and time period that I never gave it a shot.  I will now!

And you are so right about Rory Kinnear - phenomenal performance.  

Yep, rush job on Penny Dreadful's last season which is why the feel and pace of the first couple of episodes are so different than the rest of the season. Huge fan of the show, I think the first 2 seasons are among the best of any show ever (along with the Wire and Succession). "City of Angels" was horrible lol. And yes to all the love for Rory Kinnear, that guy killed it. I actually think the entire cast was amazing. Great example of a show being a bit too smart for the mainstream. People want to be hit over the head with plot lines, nudity and gore like Dexter and True Blood. Sad, but true. (I've got nothing against nudity or gore, but you guys know what I mean). 

4 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Yep, rush job on Penny Dreadful's last season which is why the feel and pace of the first couple of episodes are so different than the rest of the season. Huge fan of the show, I think the first 2 seasons are among the best of any show ever (along with the Wire and Succession). "City of Angels" was horrible lol. And yes to all the love for Rory Kinnear, that guy killed it. I actually think the entire cast was amazing. Great example of a show being a bit too smart for the mainstream. People want to be hit over the head with plot lines, nudity and gore like Dexter and True Blood. Sad, but true. (I've got nothing against nudity or gore, but you guys know what I mean). 

HBO has an unfortunate proclivity for cancelling excellent shows mid-season when production costs get too high. They did this with both Rome & Deadwood. Rome was supposed to get another two seasons but instead had to rush through 20 years of Roman history and civil war in one which left a hell of a lot out and making the time frame seem extremely compressed. Deadwood they simply shot right through the dick and did a rush season & ending which was just really bad.

Yet they ran Sex and the City into the ground, six seasons! The first three seasons were good but then the rest was very dumb and repetitive. Then again, it had much higher viewership. No accounting for taste.

The rerun of Betty White hosting SNL on her 90th birthday.  What a great episode.  Her rap skit was awesome, and her wrap-up of, "Happy Mother's Day Mother Fuckers" was priceless.  "Jay-Z is here, and if I got a dime for every time I've said that, well I'd have a dime!"

I'm ready to sit through "Lake Placid" one more time.  

14 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

it had much higher viewership. No accounting for taste.

The whole story of tv (and arguably all things connected to human consumption) right there lol. I was actually impressed with what they did in those 2 seasons of Rome even though I agree it could have been much better with 2 more seasons.

Finished "Dexter New Blood".  I was so looking forward to this show - and was SO disappointed!  I thought it was going to be an ongoing series.  Nope, just one season and it was horrible!  What made the original so intriguing was how ingenious Dexter was in finding was to cover his tracks and not get caught.  The other thing was the great supporting cast.  Even if you hated the character, the acting and writing kept you interested in their storyline.  Both those aspects are gone in this mess of a sequel.  If you haven't watched it yet - DON'T!!  As bad as the original ending was, this one is a hundred times worse.  They should have left well enough alone! 

10 hours ago, Electrophile said:

I've got the Smithsonian Channel on right now for some background noise while I do some word puzzles.

The wife loves those things, fidgets away when she gets home from work to unwind. Me, meh, typical guy, I like to play blow stuff up good games while watching Patton on repetitive loop. Playas gotta play 🙂 

Watching Yellowjackets on HBO. Good show so far but does move a bit slow at times. The Landscapers was fantastic. The Expanse is much better this season compared to last season which, IMO, was a bit of a hot mess. A right return to form.

On 1/11/2022 at 6:17 PM, Electrophile said:

Not watching TV right now, I'm listening to the radio. WBBM AM out of Chicago. On a clear night, I can pick up most Chicago stations with little difficulty.

Most stations are also available on the web so if reception is an issue, try it on your computer. I listen to WXRT out of Chicago daily on the web and you can get international radio as well. WBBM Chicago is available on this streaming platform for free:

WBBM Newsradio 780 AM & 105.9 FM - Chicago's All News Station - LISTEN LIVE | Audacy

6 hours ago, BobDobbs said:

Most stations are also available on the web so if reception is an issue, try it on your computer. I listen to WXRT out of Chicago daily on the web and you can get international radio as well. WBBM Chicago is available on this streaming platform for free:

WBBM Newsradio 780 AM & 105.9 FM - Chicago's All News Station - LISTEN LIVE | Audacy

Great advice.  Most everything is available on the almighty Internet now