What are you watching on TV now?

roblindblad

Finishing up Squid Game. Just shows that the future of quality TV and cinema will be coming from the far east and not Hollywood. IMO not much of merit except for a handful of stuff has come out Hollywood in over a decade but the Asian's are killing it. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, BobDobbs said:

You should read the book, much better than the mini-series.

Believe it or not, a co-worker I told yesterday brought the paperback into work for me today!  I read reviews of the show on IMDB and a LOT of people on there recommend reading the book as well!  Looking forward to it.

I've been getting into RV travel shows on U-Tube.  Some are lame as heck, featuring people that never get out of the vehicle, don't walk anywhere, skip great stuff to see, and mostly bore you to tears.  But a guy called "Traveling Robert" is a little different.  He's one of those average people that does stuff he shouldn't.  Check out his attempt at climbing Angel's Landing in Winter at Zion Nat'l Park if you're bored.  I didn't have the balls to do that in my 20's in Summer.

On 10/20/2021 at 12:15 PM, Stryder1978 said:

Watching "Black Sails".  Already into Season 3 - gets better with each season.

Black Sails was a great show. Fun to watch and great writing. I like that they wrapped it up after 4 seasons before it could get bad haha

On 10/21/2021 at 5:28 PM, BobDobbs said:

Finishing up Squid Game. Just shows that the future of quality TV and cinema will be coming from the far east and not Hollywood. IMO not much of merit except for a handful of stuff has come out Hollywood in over a decade but the Asian's are killing it. 

If you like shows where reading text at the bottom is required, check out the Bureau. It's like John le Carre and Jean-Pierre Melville had a love child.

2 minutes ago, 1975NQ said:

If you like shows where reading text at the bottom is required, check out the Bureau. It's like John le Carre and Jean-Pierre Melville had a love child.

I can handle French, Spanish, and German without subtitles but those Asian languages are super-difficult. Netfix also dubs all their foreign stuff so you can either have the dubbing on, or off with subtitles. I prefer the subtitles as the dubbing, no matter how good typically sounds silly. Especially the women's voices. For some reason they think all Asian women, regardless of age, must sound like a 12 year old school-girl.

4 minutes ago, BobDobbs said:

I can handle French, Spanish, and German without subtitles but those Asian languages are super-difficult. Netfix also dubs all their foreign stuff so you can either have the dubbing on, or off with subtitles. I prefer the subtitles as the dubbing, no matter how good typically sounds silly. Especially the women's voices. For some reason they think all Asian women, regardless of age, must sound like a 12 year old school-girl.

Slave labor ...??? Naaaah!! I prefer subtitles as well for the same reason. Tried to watch that German sci-fi Dark with dubbing on ... nope! 

1 hour ago, 1975NQ said:

Slave labor ...??? Naaaah!! I prefer subtitles as well for the same reason. Tried to watch that German sci-fi Dark with dubbing on ... nope! 

I know, where do they get these voice-over actors for many foreign movies? Nickelodeon?

5 hours ago, cryingbluerain said:

From that dumpster fire of a prosecution.

The prosecution of Kyle Rittenhouse is a disaster (msn.com)

The whole thing is a farce. The judge, the prosecuting attorney, the crocodile tears of Kyle Rittenhouse....everyone is playing for the cameras. I expect the judge to get a call from Fox News any minute now offering him a gig.

On 10/22/2021 at 1:28 AM, BobDobbs said:

Squid Game, what a bizzare programme. I watched with dubbing and subtitles, at times it seemed like there were two different scripts (almost).

Just started "Squid Game" on Netflix. I actually saw some guys dressed as the guards in the pink suits for Halloween. Although I had no idea what they were, I assumed it was for some anime/manga/video game thing. Then my nephew informed me they were dressed as characters from "Squid Game". Other people in my circle have been mentioning the show, as well.

So I decided to finally take the plunge. I have finished two three episodes so far. At first my Netflix settings were showing me the dubbed version but the voices were so annoying, I quickly switched to original Korean with English subtitles. I prefer to watch foreign films/shows in the original language w/subtitles anyway.

I am not sure about the show yet...it reminds me of "Battle Royale" and "Hunger Games", among other nihilistic entertainments. The only two contestants I gave a hoot about are the old man and the young, scrappy North Korean defector. They probably don't make it to the end. It'll probably be that sappy mama's boy Seong Gi-Hun.