Every little bit, every little bit…

Robert laughing in intro of whole lotta love. That set the tone for the whole album, that "we dont care what the critics say, we're going to record the heaviest album of all time". They dont slow down at all throughout the whole album, except ramble on, which is still a killer track.

I wonder what made him laugh, though?

I love the little..."Boom,.Bang...Ping!" part Plant does with Page around the 10 minute mark of D&C from Sydney....boy what I woud have gave to have been at them shows from down under.

Robert laughing in intro of whole lotta love.

Yes! That wheezing laugh, I love it.

My all-time fave Zep moment may be the solo on "In the evening" where Jimmy sounds like he's virtually ripping the strings off his guitar.

And Evster, thanks for the info on Immigrant Song. You are the fookin' MAN!

Oh... I love all Led Zeppelin songs, but

the best (for me) are:

"Since I've been loving you"--ohohoh... I LOVE it!!!

"Tangerine" - beautiful...

"Ramble on" - !Dedicated to Tolkien!

"That's the Way"

"What is and what should never be..."

... oh, but anyway this are difficult decisions...

There isn't any song of Led Zeppelin that I don't love...

What do you think about that? -

The first time I ever saw Jimmy doing the Violin Bow thing, THAT really made my hair stand on end!

Actually, you know what, that should've been the first thing I mentioned in this thread. The first time I saw that (which was a low quality Internet clip, and it wasn't even synced properly), that was the moment I officially declared Jimmy Page as my favorite guitarist.

John Bonham's drumwork at the beginning of The Rover.I constantly replayed the first of the song until the vinyl was about worn.To this day I'll still start the track over 4-5 times before I let it play through.

Great topic...there are many more.

For Your Life intro when Robert says (with such irony) "Well, well"...

And when Robert sings..."Where the mighty arms of Atlas, hold the Heavens from the Earth, ooh, oooh, whhooooooooooooahh!" from Achilles Last Stand.

Watching You from Manic Nirvana, when Robert sings the last verse..."I'm tired of watching you...I'm TIRED of WATCHING YOU...YOU...you!! (fades out....)

So many, so little time!

Good Times, Bad Times - after the last chorus, Jonesy's plays a bass line and then Jimmy comes in with a barrage of notes...my favorite part of the song.

In My Time of Dying - When Robert sings "Oh my Jesus" towards the end, it sounds like he's saying "oh my cheating" or something.

Going to California - The line "seems that the wrath of the Gods got a punch on the nose and it's starting to flow" always gives me get a queasy feeling (for just a second), like I'm visualizing getting punched in the nose myself or something.

for me its when jimmy palys the little solo towards the end of rock n roll where the band stops for a sec and he just carrys the song on his back its like like 10 second riff but it always makes me happy to hear it. i think its the end of the little solo.

Also i think the ocean is a great song every time i hear it , i cream for lack of better words.

Great thread. Between Zep’s studio and live albums, there are probably have hundreds of moments that make give me chills, make me shudder, blush, or cringe, or touch me in such a way that they make my throat constrict. For certain songs, there are several times that this happens. Just a couple here:

What Is and What Should Never Be – Robert stops singing, then comes a note or two from JPJ (I think) followed by a sound of one of Bonzo's cymbals, a brief pause, and then comes Jimmy’s sweet slide guitar solo. There is a later moment when the bass is followed by the guitar surging out of alternating speakers, Robert yells, “hey…”

Yes, that laugh at the beginning of WLL followed by the moment when then the guitar comes, then the drums. Then in the middle of the song, Bonzo does a kind of drum roll and he and Jimmy go back and forth - hard guitar and driving drums – my friends and I used to play that part over and over…thankfully I met a man (my husband) who loves that back and forth business between Bono and Jimmy in WLL as much as I do. Another moment comes at the end of the song when Robert is alternating “hey” “oh” and then lets out a passionate, primal scream that seems to come from the depths of his soul.

Moby Dick – the moment when JPJ and Jimmy stop playing and then Bonzo hits the foot pedal to the drum, slowly,several times as he launches into his solo.

STH – there are probably ten different parts of this song that grip me in some way but the most emotional and transporting is when Robert drags out the word “wind” and turns it into an “oh oh ohoh” as Jimmy launches into his guitar solo as Bonzo plays the drums and Jimmy plays a high long note and then the passion with which the two of them play together.

The Rover - the entire song, but especially Jimmy's guitar solo, knocks the wind out of me.

Sick Again – the way in which Robert says, “one day soon you’re gonna reach 16” and then when Jimmy is launching into his solo he stretches out a note.

Ten Years Gone - This entire song is devastating but I agree with the poster who mentions what is probably the blow to my solar plexus line and the way in which Robert sings it: "Do you ever remember me baby, didn't it feel so good? Cause it was just the first time and you knew it would."

Currently on my "really great" list is I'm Gonna Crawl - the whole song. Plant is superb. The whole song really tears at my heart strings and makes my eyes leak. My "really great" list changes constantly, as some of you have also mentioned!

As far as cringing, one of my all time favorites is SIBLY on HTWWW. But I wish Plant wouldn't have thrown in the "only for five minutes" line. It just plain doesn't fit. I'm sure it meant something at the time, but IMHO all these years later it just serves to mar an otherwise stellar performance.

I listen to Zep probably way too much and still, after hearing them time after time after time, there are many, many of parts of songs when I all of a sudden realize my jaw has dropped and I'm saying "how, oh how can this be?" (Can be kind of embarassing if I"m not alone.) Some of them may have already been mentioned - the beginning of the Rain Song, Ramble On (on the headphones when I can hear all the guitar parts really clear), the call and response toward the end of the Lemon Song....oh forget it, I'd be here all night typing.

Great thread!

Bonzo's ginormous roll at the end of that Samba (or whatever it is) section in Fool in the Rain. And then the big hits he plays right after that/before the guitar solo. And the tone of the guitar in that solo.

Actually, as far as cringing goes, I'd say in any of the early Zeppelin performances, where Robert decides to have an orgasm in the middle of the song. I mean, that's really hard to explain to non-Zeppelin fans just what the hell he was trying to do there.

The Sequence of Hammers and Pull offs in the Intro to Over the Hills and Far away is just Madness...

Something that strictly "Notes" wise could be so plain , but in the way it is played made to sound as the most beautiful melody...

It'll always be one of my favorites.

Nobody's mentioned the accidental pinch harmonic at the end of the studio Dazed solo. That's my favorite moment. Led Zeppelin represents that intangible human touch in the musicianship. They didn't sound like a flawless machine the way modern bands do in recordings (or some older overproduced acts like Boston). You really felt the flesh and blood on the record, even when it had many multitracked layers.

Good Times, Bad Times - after the last chorus, Jonesy's plays a bass line and then Jimmy comes in with a barrage of notes...my favorite part of the song.

In My Time of Dying - When Robert sings "Oh my Jesus" towards the end, it sounds like he's saying "oh my cheating" or something.

Going to California - The line "seems that the wrath of the Gods got a punch on the nose and it's starting to flow" always gives me get a queasy feeling (for just a second), like I'm visualizing getting punched in the nose myself or something.

Oh, Gawd. I can't believe I didn't mention that bit of GTBT myself. I thought this thread up ages ago on the train while I was listening to that precise song, and then forgot it. <_<

"Oh my cheesy"! (Sounds like.) :blink: Love it!

Everyone else is saying they never cringe at anything, but that bit of GTC does actually sound like he's been punched in the nose and it's bleeding so he's holding it to stop the flow. Not, er......too fond of it. :bagoverhead:

Aaand... when I wrote "aahahahaa" with reference to Down by the Seaside, that was supposed to be me moaning at the lyric, not complaining about Robert's "aaaaaah...ooooooh" vocal, which I rather like, and I agree about the society/nature thing you mentioned.

^what lyric? "people turned away"

the transition part of down by the seaside is something i really appreciate. this song and -night flight are another part of why -physical graffiti is such an interesting record.

Down by the seaside is sometimes so overshadowed by the listening experience of -in the light, that sometimes it just comes and goes without much notice.

Everyone else is saying they never cringe at anything, but that bit of GTC does actually sound like he's been punched in the nose and it's bleeding so he's holding it to stop the flow. Not, er......too fond of it. :bagoverhead:

The keyboard intro to -carouselambra...and keyboard sound through some of the song always was strange to me as a young fan. Now i appreciate the song ofcourse and am used to hearing the keyboard sounds. Page and Plant could have done an interesting version of this in 95 with the symphony.

if I listen with headphones on I just start bawling.

Tell me about it. Does anyone else cry during "Thank You" at the very end when it's all quiet, and Robby sings, "If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you. When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be you and me."

Maybe it has to do with what the lyrics mean to you but...I cry so hard when I hear that.

I always love the bit in “Out on the Tiles” when Jimmy (I think it’s Jimmy, someone will correct me if it isn’t) says “stop” at the start of the second verse - it just sounds cool. If you can avoid saying that bit out loud if/when you sing along, I recommend you seek medical attention immediately.

I sing and play bass for a cover band called Hot Wired. We recorded a demo recently, and we covered "The Ocean". After I finished laying down the vocals, I got back in front of the mic to record the "Do Wop De Doobie Doobie" parts, and the drummer and guitarist (who are both older than me and should know better) didn't even know that was in the song! Then I pointed out that during the first guitar solo in "The Ocean", you can hear a phone ringing in the background, which I always thought was cool.

They told me I was crazy.

Archived