Causes for Dissatisfaction With The New Board

MS1

1. Limited number of smileys per post? <_<

2. Limited number of quotes per post? <_<

3. Limited number of smileys available? <_<

Not that I'm one to grumble mind- there's lots of cool new bells and whistles, but can anything be done about these three?

fyi, Sam,.. if yo click "show all" at the top of the smilie window,

you get access to more than are available via the "next" button.

:beer:

I've no doubt the smilie list will continue to expand over time. B)

personally, I'd like to see flood control abolished. <_<

..and the limit to number of smilies and quotes per post. ..yeah.

overall though.. I'm diggin the new site! :thumbsup:

As far as possible improvements to the site goes,..

I'd like to see Sam create a separate forum for spammy games/threads.

by spammy games I mean games/threads devoid of wit, creativity, and humor,.. that lack any interaction between posters,.. that require little thought to participate in and that do not provoke thought in others,.. that do not challenge the participants in any way,.. that are devoid of substance.

You know,.. spam.

:rolleyes:

Any thread is capable of producing intersting posts....it just may mean a little off topic posting. Or a twist where people put in the :huh: smilie...

Spam can be tasty, and yes, there are many varieties....

You seem to be alluding to "creativity" and "wit", Joel,.. not spam.

Games and other fun-oriented threads don't have to be profound to involve creativity and wit. The "corrupt a wish" thread is certainly not a profound thread, but even in being a game thread it does involve some creativity and wit. Even though I don't post there very often (haven't yet here at the new board) I do think it's a cool thread. But ya gotta admit, that's certainly not the case with some of the other witless, thoughtless, creativity-lacking spam threads.

You seem to be suggesting that spam threads are worthwhile because even in a spam thread the occasional witty "twist" may be posted. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you'd have a hard time convincing me that a thread/game with one witty, creative "twist" every few pages.. in a thread that is merely a series of one or two-word posts.. is anything other than a spam thread.

We all know what forum spam is, and if forum spam was considered a good thing for web forums then people wouldn't mind be called spammers. But you know as well as I do that no one wants to be known as a spammer. There's a reason for that, isn't there?

I s'ppose spam threads may have their place.. for those who have spammy inclinations.

..I'm merely suggesting we have a place for spam game threads.. a spam forum.* :P

B)

If you don't like a thread, avoid it. It's only spam because you think it's beneath you.

Whether I consider it beneath me or not.. spam is spam because it's spam.

Apparently you like spam, Liz, and I don't begrudge you that. I'm just

suggesting maybe there be a spam forum* for spam threads, that's all.

It's not a matter of national or global crisis,.. its merely a forum suggestion. ;)

[Obviously I'm being facetious in suggesting a "spam forum". However,

I do think a "GAMES" forum would be a good addition to this web board]

:hippy:

Some people choose a tasty rib-eye for their choice of quality meat. I put SPAM on a high pedestal simply because I find it so delicious. I try to create the best SPAM wit the best chunks of "parts is parts" I can find but my homemade can never match what's mass produced. :(

I appreciate any encouragement though, thanks.

I should stay in the food thread with my nutritious offerings.

:D

It takes a creative chef to make something edible with spam. Fwiw, I do appreciate that you make the effort to add the spices of creativity, cleverness, and wit to some of the spammier threads, bro.

B)

1. Limited number of smileys per post? <_<

2. Limited number of quotes per post? <_<

3. Limited number of smileys available? <_<

Not that I'm one to grumble mind- there's lots of cool new bells and whistles, but can anything be done about these three?

Yeah, these have been bugging me. Along with the flood control setting. Damn!!! :angry: Oh and the limit on avatar file size and image size bugs me. It doesn't automatically resize them and you are limited with the file size anyway. I have noticed that a bunch of us from the old board have had to put our animation avatars in our sigs instead, myself included, which is annoying.

On the old forum there was a "Show unread replies to my posts", which allowed you to quickly check on threads that you've been involved in. I can't seem to find any such thing on here. You can subscribe to threads, but when you click on them, it just takes you to the beginning of the thread, then you have to wade through every page to find where you left off. Or you can click 'my last 10 posts' to find if there've been responses to your recent posts, but isn't there an easier way???

Spam is as spam does.

Perhaps some need to build a bridge and get over it.

Even jump off of their glorified anti-spam bridge.

Spamming spam is almost annoying as spam....and then the name calling begins.

Jesus Fucking Christ. Take me Lord!

Yeah,.. spam is spam.

Ya got that part right. ;)

However,.. "discussing" spam, as has been taking place here, is not "spamming" spam, friend. And although creatively infiltrating a spam thread with wit may seem annoying to you, at least its.. well.. creative.. and witty. In any case, there's really no need to wish death upon others, or yourself, over spam or a little spam indigestion. B)

[He didn't mean it, JFC. Leave him here, Lord!]

This one isn't a big deal, but another forum I visit has a handy way of handling threads with new posts in them: A thread with new comments will have it's title in bold, ones that you've already read a just normal type.

Handy for me, because I don't know what the symbols next to threads are supposed to mean.

Is there a key somewhere?

I like Spam, I don't know see why it should cost so much though. Makes for a great sandwich with Peri-Peri brand hot sauce. The best flavour is Bacon.

How quiant!

`scuse me while I kiss the sky and take a maalox.

Dismissal of any post, however trivial and lack of wit as spam when you can easily turn to page two (as I suggest) is a worn out argument...pal

Says he from atop his glorified anti-anti-spam bridge, eh? :P:D

Fwiw.. I'm not talking about individual spammy posts; we all drop little spam turds from time to time. No big deal. I'm talking about threads that are page after page of creativity-lacking, one-word and two-word exercises in vapidity. Surely you can acknowledge that there are threads for which that's a fair description, can't you? If so, I don't understand why you're all bound up over my comments.

Lemme reiterate,.. I'm not advocating that spammy game threads be abolished or deleted, I'm merely suggesting that a GAMES forum might be a good place for them. If you're having a hard time digesting that idea, maybe you can say why that is. It's a no-brainer ('spammer's delight') that spam threads can simply be overlooked. Imho that's not a very compelling argument against the idea of a GAMES thread.

;)

You're not taking my comments about spam personally, are ya...pal? :shifty:

*Crawls under the spam bridge as a debunked troll*.... :(

poppycock! you're neither troll nor spammer, TM!

I'm coming down there with you, dammit.. and I'm

hoping you'll help me wreak havoc on this case of brews!

..eh?!

drunk.gif

uhh...

Where is that confounded bridge anyway? :blink:

Poor Sam. :lol:

He's got a huge request list now. :lol:

I actually agree with the limited signature space. I don't mind siggies, hell, I have one myself. But I remember that once upon a time, on the old board we told we could not have a picture larger than 200x300 or something. That's why my little license plate is so small. I had to fanangle the size without warping or distorting it. I've just always kept mine small.

One thing I wish I could see other than the siggy space being limited is somethign done with the PM inbox. I wish there were a better way to store your messages.

I'm getting used to the forum, and I'm feeling like it's home. Thanks, Sam! :D

I'm merely suggesting that a GAMES forum might be a good place for them.

I concur! I don't know about this whole spam debate, but a lot of forums have a games forum, and I think it's a pretty good idea. It might actually promote discussion here in Ramble On...It seems like sometimes the littler threads get run over by the big game threads, not because the little threads suck, but because the game threads are easier to think of a reply to (I'm totally guilty of that one). This way, people a) won't be discouraged when their threads get lost in the milieu and stop making new topics, and B) will be more motivated to use their brain and reply to real threads. Or maybe they won't. But it'd still be nice to have the games out of the way.

As far as possible improvements to the site goes,..

I'd like to see Sam create a separate forum for spammy games/threads.

by spammy games I mean games/threads devoid of wit, creativity, and humor,.. that lack any interaction between posters,.. that require little thought to participate in and that do not provoke thought in others,.. that do not challenge the participants in any way,.. that are devoid of substance.

You know,.. spam.

:rolleyes:

I'm in agreement with Hermit on this 100%. I've sort of been trying to convince people of that too since this board was started last week. The problem with the over abudance of these silly game threads in the 'General Discussion' forum, is that they are vapid and boring... they turn new people off who might just be coming downstairs for the first time just to take a break from the Led Zeppelin discussion. I'm pretty sure that is how most of the regulars ended up hanging out down here... I know I did.

But who really want's to hang out too long when you have the top five or six threads on the page just spamming an endless chain of meaningless words like:

Georgia

Fat Bottom Girls

At 17

Ramen Noodles

Orange Soda

Bathrobe

T-Shirt

Straight Jacktet (well that one is actually witty, but you get what I mean)

What is the point of this being in the forum for GENERAL DISCUSSION, because it is certainly not 'discussion'?

If you don't like a thread, avoid it. It's only spam because you think it's beneath you.

What's wrong with just having a subforum for just games? Afraid it would just be too wierd or something? I know Planet-Zeppelin has a subforum like that. I'm sure they would love to have people come there and just sit and play the 'Atlas game'.

Would it also be possible to :

Remove post count?

Bring back custom titles?

You do realize that if they removed 'post counts' then you would probably be ruining a few peoples whole day. But how about it if the mods could up the flood control time setting just for the spam abusers?

Says he from atop his glorified anti-anti-spam bridge, eh? :P:D

Fwiw.. I'm not talking about individual spammy posts; we all drop little spam turds from time to time. No big deal. I'm talking about threads that are page after page of creativity-lacking, one-word and two-word exercises in vapidity.

Vapid, that is the word I have been using for it/them.

Lemme reiterate,.. I'm not advocating that spammy game threads be abolished or deleted, I'm merely suggesting that a GAMES forum might be a good place for them. If you're having a hard time digesting that idea, maybe you can say why that is. It's a no-brainer ('spammer's delight') that spam threads can simply be overlooked. Imho that's not a very compelling argument against the idea of a GAMES thread.

I don't know why anyone would be against this idea. Has anybody suggested it to the webmaster?

(Hey look at me and Hermit -- we are actually agreeing on stuff! It's either a new age of peace and harmony in the known universe.... or the first sign of the apocalypse :lol:)

I concur! I don't know about this whole spam debate, but a lot of forums have a games forum, and I think it's a pretty good idea. It might actually promote discussion here in Ramble On...It seems like sometimes the littler threads get run over by the big game threads, not because the little threads suck, but because the game threads are easier to think of a reply to (I'm totally guilty of that one). This way, people a) won't be discouraged when their threads get lost in the milieu and stop making new topics, and B) will be more motivated to use their brain and reply to real threads. Or maybe they won't. But it'd still be nice to have the games out of the way.

And there you have it in a nutshell.

Ramble on for discsussions, and a game forum for the gamers, spamers and vapidettes.

Now where is that confounded game forum?

Archived