Led Zeppelin Woodstock '69

Does anybody know why Led Zeppelin didn't play on Woodstock '69?

I guess by the summer of '69 they were quite big enough to be asked to play on such a huge festival. They were even in the state of New York on the final day of Woodstock.

thx !

Does anybody know why Led Zeppelin didn't play on Woodstock '69?

I guess by the summer of '69 they were quite big enough to be asked to play on such a huge festival. They were even in the state of New York on the final day of Woodstock.

thx !

if i'm not mistaken, i believe they were approached.

so....not being on the bill was probably a result of the business acumen of peter grant. i agree, zep might have owned this show had they played, but there was no artistic control to be had since the fest was being filmed. most of artists got stiffed (a big grant no-no) unless they got some money upfront (the who were the exceptions, refusing to go on until they were paid). of course, zeppelin played thier share of festivals throughout their live career (bath comes to mind first, the perfect example of how much grant wanted zeppelin to be in control of their presentation).

yeah, i'd say peter grant.

another notable no-show: the doors.

if i'm not mistaken, i believe they were approached.

so....not being on the bill was probably a result of the business acumen of peter grant. i agree, zep might have owned this show had they played, but there was no artistic control to be had since the fest was being filmed. most of artists got stiffed (a big grant no-no) unless they got some money upfront (the who were the exceptions, refusing to go on until they were paid). of course, zeppelin played thier share of festivals throughout their live career (bath comes to mind first, the perfect example of how much grant wanted zeppelin to be in control of their presentation).

yeah, i'd say peter grant.

another notable no-show: the doors.

Apparently they declined due to the fact they were playing a festival in Texas.

it's not as though anyone knew how big the show would be. it was originally meant as a smaller festival that required you to pay for tickets, just like any other festival of the day. there were a great many bands who were asked to play, but declined in favor of playing bigger, or more profitable shows. most of those bands have expressed regret for not going, but how could they have known what they were going to miss? from all accounts I've heard, The Doors canceled at the last minute, possibly due to Morrison not wanting to perform in a large outdoor venue.

it's not as though anyone knew how big the show would be. it was originally meant as a smaller festival that required you to pay for tickets, just like any other festival of the day.

i agree. tickets were for sale and it wasn't 'planned' to be a free show. what is different about woodstock was the $10 million in warner bros. production money-astute business managers knew this-and the promoters were being tight-fisted. it smelled like a stiff. pete townshend wanted nothing to do with it from the get-go but was haranged for over 3 hours until he capitulated. when he did, the promoters offer was so paltrey, that even frank barsalona (who wanted the who to do the show) sneered at it. the rest is in the sleeve of 'live at leeds'.

there were a great many bands who were asked to play, but declined in favor of playing bigger, or more profitable shows. most of those bands have expressed regret for not going, but how could they have known what they were going to miss?

anybody we know? besides stones (last minute wrap up of visa problems for their 1st US tour in 3 years), beatles (we don't wanna hold hands anymore), abba (still in high school)?

from all accounts I've heard, The Doors canceled at the last minute, possibly due to Morrison not wanting to perform in a large outdoor venue.

doors did do a few, though, huh? of the top of my head, there was the singer bowl with the who (the source of inspiration for the who's 'sally simpson' from tommy, after seeing morrison with his female fans).

From Peter Grant, via Dave Lewis' The Concert File:

----

Saturday, August 16, 1969: Asbury Park, N.J. ...

Support from Joe Cocker. Two shows were played ...

This date took place the same weekend as the legendary Woodstock Festival in upstate New York. Zeppelin were initially approached to play the festival, but Grant declined. "We were asked to do Woodstock and Atlantic were very keen, and so was our US promotor, Frank Barcelona. I said no because at Woodstock, we'd have just been another band on the bill."

---

Obviously, Cocker was one of those acts choppered upstate (remember, Jimmy Page did play on his hugely successful debut album, With A Little Help From My Friends) and played Sunday Aug. 17 there.

Zeppelin also played on the 17th in Wallingford, CT.

It would be interesting to hear what the band members feel about it now and whether the decision was the right one or not for them. Would have been something to have film from 69 of Zep though.

Take a grain of salt with this, but here's a Wikipedia list of those who refused an invitation to play at Woodstock:

---

Refused invitations

The promoters contacted John Lennon, requesting The Beatles to perform. Lennon said that the Beatles would not play unless Yoko Ono's Plastic Ono Band could also play. The promoters turned him down.

Procol Harum were invited to perform but reportedly declined due to the festival happening at the end of a long tour, and because of the impending birth of Robin Trower's child; The band elected to pass on the festival to be back in England for the birth. The child arrived two weeks late.

The Doors were considered as a potential performing band, but cancelled at the last moment. Contrary to popular belief, this occurrence was not related in some fashion to lead singer Jim Morrison's arrest for indecent exposure while performing earlier that year; the cancellation was most likely due to Morrison's known and vocal distaste for performing in large outdoor venues. [8] There also was a widely spread legend that Morrison, in a fit of paranoia, was fearful that someone would take a shot at him while he was onstage. Drummer John Densmore attended; in the film, he can be seen on the side of the stage during Joe Cocker's set.

Led Zeppelin was asked to perform, their manager Peter Grant stating: "We were asked to do Woodstock and Atlantic were very keen, and so was our US promoter, Frank Barsalona. I said no because at Woodstock we'd have just been another band on the bill". Instead the group went on with their hugely successful summer tour, their only time out being taken to attend Elvis Presley's show, at the International Hotel in Las Vegas, on August 12. [9]

Jethro Tull refused to perform; there are varying accounts of the reasons for this decision. One claim is that they thought it wouldn't be a big deal[citation needed]; Ian Anderson is reported to have said he "didn't want to spend [his] weekend in a field of unwashed hippies".[10] Another theory proposes that the band felt the event would be "too big a deal" and might kill their career before it started.[10]

The Moody Blues declined to perform, because they were booked for another event in Paris at the same time and decided to play there instead of Woodstock, a decision they later regretted. They were promoted as being a performer on the third day on early posters that listed the site as Wallkill.

Tommy James and the Shondells declined an invitation. Lead singer Tommy James stated later: "We could have just kicked ourselves. We were in Hawaii, and my secretary called and said, 'Yeah, listen, there's this pig farmer in upstate New York that wants you to play in his field.' That's how it was put to me. So we passed, and we realized what we'd missed a couple of days later."[11]

The Clarence White-era Byrds were given an opportunity to play, but refused to do so but they did perform at the Atlantic City Pop Festival held August 1,2 & 3, 1969, two weeks before Woodstock.

Paul Revere & The Raiders declined to perform.

Bob Dylan was in negotiations to play, but pulled out when his son became ill. He also was unhappy about the number of hippies piling up outside his house near the originally planned site. [12] He would go on to perform at the Isle of Wight Festival two weeks later. At his June 30, 2007 concert at Bethel Woods, the original site of the Woodstock festival, Dylan joked (just before he performed 'All Along the Watchtower)': "Great to be back here-- I remember being here, playing at six in the morning, and it was pouring rain, too... a big field of mud!" [13]

Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention Quote: "A lot of mud at Woodstock. We were invited to play there, we turned it down." - FZ. Citation: "Class of the 20th Century", U.S. network television special in serial format, circa 1995.

Free were asked to perform and declined.

The J. Geils Band was invited to perform, but declined.

Spirit were asked to perform but declined and went on a promotional tour.

----

This date took place the same weekend as the legendary Woodstock Festival in upstate New York. Zeppelin were initially approached to play the festival, but Grant declined. "We were asked to do Woodstock and Atlantic were very keen, and so was our US promotor, Frank Barcelona. I said no because at Woodstock, we'd have just been another band on the bill."

---

Obviously, Cocker was one of those acts choppered upstate (remember, Jimmy Page did play on his hugely successful debut album, With A Little Help From My Friends) and played Sunday Aug. 17 there.

so, they could have played......

i wonder if texas pop was a regret for grant. they were 'another band on the bill' there.

thanks for the post, solar!

Take a grain of salt with this, but here's a Wikipedia list of those who refused an invitation to play at Woodstock:

Refused invitations

`snip~

Jethro Tull refused to perform; there are varying accounts of the reasons for this decision. One claim is that they thought it wouldn't be a big deal[citation needed]; Ian Anderson is reported to have said he "didn't want to spend [his] weekend in a field of unwashed hippies".[10] Another theory proposes that the band felt the event would be "too big a deal" and might kill their career before it started.[10]

'69 tull-that would be tommy iommi on guitar, right?

---

Refused invitations

The promoters contacted John Lennon, requesting The Beatles to perform. Lennon said that the Beatles would not play unless Yoko Ono's Plastic Ono Band could also play. The promoters turned him down.

Procol Harum were invited to perform but reportedly declined due to the festival happening at the end of a long tour, and because of the impending birth of Robin Trower's child; The band elected to pass on the festival to be back in England for the birth. The child arrived two weeks late.

The Doors were considered as a potential performing band, but cancelled at the last moment. Contrary to popular belief, this occurrence was not related in some fashion to lead singer Jim Morrison's arrest for indecent exposure while performing earlier that year; the cancellation was most likely due to Morrison's known and vocal distaste for performing in large outdoor venues. [8] There also was a widely spread legend that Morrison, in a fit of paranoia, was fearful that someone would take a shot at him while he was onstage. Drummer John Densmore attended; in the film, he can be seen on the side of the stage during Joe Cocker's set.

Led Zeppelin was asked to perform, their manager Peter Grant stating: "We were asked to do Woodstock and Atlantic were very keen, and so was our US promoter, Frank Barsalona. I said no because at Woodstock we'd have just been another band on the bill". Instead the group went on with their hugely successful summer tour, their only time out being taken to attend Elvis Presley's show, at the International Hotel in Las Vegas, on August 12. [9]

The Moody Blues declined to perform, because they were booked for another event in Paris at the same time and decided to play there instead of Woodstock, a decision they later regretted. They were promoted as being a performer on the third day on early posters that listed the site as Wallkill.

Tommy James and the Shondells declined an invitation. Lead singer Tommy James stated later: "We could have just kicked ourselves. We were in Hawaii, and my secretary called and said, 'Yeah, listen, there's this pig farmer in upstate New York that wants you to play in his field.' That's how it was put to me. So we passed, and we realized what we'd missed a couple of days later."[11]

The Clarence White-era Byrds were given an opportunity to play, but refused to do so but they did perform at the Atlantic City Pop Festival held August 1,2 & 3, 1969, two weeks before Woodstock.

Paul Revere & The Raiders declined to perform.

Bob Dylan was in negotiations to play, but pulled out when his son became ill. He also was unhappy about the number of hippies piling up outside his house near the originally planned site. [12] He would go on to perform at the Isle of Wight Festival two weeks later. At his June 30, 2007 concert at Bethel Woods, the original site of the Woodstock festival, Dylan joked (just before he performed 'All Along the Watchtower)': "Great to be back here-- I remember being here, playing at six in the morning, and it was pouring rain, too... a big field of mud!" [13]

Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention Quote: "A lot of mud at Woodstock. We were invited to play there, we turned it down." - FZ. Citation: "Class of the 20th Century", U.S. network television special in serial format, circa 1995.

Free were asked to perform and declined.

The J. Geils Band was invited to perform, but declined.

Spirit were asked to perform but declined and went on a promotional tour.

I believe that Grants biography backs up this claim. We know Grant controlled every minute detail as to the guys performances. He would not have wanted LZ to be 'just another band on the bill' and he wouldn't have the tight control he liked to maintain such as the time he pulled the plugs from the amps and literally threw (insert bands name that I can't remember here) off the stage so the LZ would hit the stage at 'exactly' sundown, he realized the impact of these small things and I think they were more than happy to miss this show. (Can you even imagine the logistics of getting them in and out of there?!)

I believe that Grants biography backs up this claim. We know Grant controlled every minute detail as to the guys performances. He would not have wanted LZ to be 'just another band on the bill' and he wouldn't have the tight control he liked to maintain such as the time he pulled the plugs from the amps and literally threw (insert bands name that I can't remember here) off the stage so the LZ would hit the stage at 'exactly' sundown, he realized the impact of these small things and I think they were more than happy to miss this show. (Can you even imagine the logistics of getting them in and out of there?!)

I don't know about the sundown part, but Peter Grant did threaten Grand Funk Railroad manager, Terry Knight, bodily harm if he didn't get "his band" of the stage immediately. I think this was at Olympia Stadium/Detroit in Oct. of 69.

'69 tull-that would be tommy iommi on guitar, right?

Tony Iommi was only with Tull for a couple of weeks in late 1968. Just long enough to be seen with JT in the Stones "Rock and Roll Circus". Their performance however was a pantomime, at least instrumentally. Ian Anderson may have been singing live vocals I just can't remember.

Tony Iommi was only with Tull for a couple of weeks in late 1968. Just long enough to be seen with JT in the Stones "Rock and Roll Circus". Their performance however was a pantomime, at least instrumentally. Ian Anderson may have been singing live vocals I just can't remember.

nice...i wondered how long he lasted. didn't know the playing was a swish on Circus, though. why was that?

You're talking about the Bath Festival in '70, and the band was Flock.

Like I said in the previous post, the quote was used in Dave Lewis' book (and co-opted for Wiki) and very well is in Peter Grant's bio.

Also, I don't think it was mentioned that Joni Mitchell was supposed to play Woodstock (most people think that she was on the bill because she wrote the song Woodstock).

She ended up declining on the advice from her manager that if she played Woodstock, she may have not been able to make it back to her scheduled taping on Dick Cavette Show in NYC. The "Woodstock" episode of Dick Cavette is available on DVD and is pretty interesting. It has Jefferson Airplain, Joni, CSN, and Hendrix was scheduled, but couldn't make the taping. The Dick Cavette show was taped on the Monday after the festival, with CSN still having mud on their jeans and shoes.

Zep were so extremely busy in those days, it's no surprise the ended up not in Woodstock.

I think in 69, they did 4 tours of America and a bunch of shows in Europe.

:lol:

Ok, but just why would a pig farmer in New York want them to play in his field?? I have a hard time believing this story... something drew the attention of all those muddy hippies prior to the event.

Also, I don't think it was mentioned that Joni Mitchell was supposed to play Woodstock (most people think that she was on the bill because she wrote the song Woodstock).

She ended up declining on the advice from her manager that if she played Woodstock, she may have not been able to make it back to her scheduled taping on Dick Cavette Show in NYC. The "Woodstock" episode of Dick Cavette is available on DVD and is pretty interesting. It has Jefferson Airplain, Joni, CSN, and Hendrix was scheduled, but couldn't make the taping. The Dick Cavette show was taped on the Monday after the festival, with CSN still having mud on their jeans and shoes.

Zep were so extremely busy in those days, it's no surprise the ended up not in Woodstock.

I think in 69, they did 4 tours of America and a bunch of shows in Europe.

I knew almost nothing about Joni Mitchell (other than a few cool songs I heard in the 70's and that Zep loved her) until a few years ago when there was a really good documentary about her on pbs. She talked about this and said she regretted not being there.

----

---

ZEPPELIN WERE CONCERNED OF BEING BLOWN OFF THE STAGE BY A GUY NAMED JIMI HENDRIX.

ZEPPELIN WERE CONCERNED OF BEING BLOWN OFF THE STAGE BY A GUY NAMED JIMI HENDRIX.

That's a pretty idiotic statement on many levels, but especially since Hendrix was the last act and so few people were still there for his performance. Learn history before attempting to assess it.

Zeppelin didn't really fit the Woodstock form anyways IMO.

If all the bands that declined or didn't show up formed their own festival, it would've been 100 times more succesful - Zeppelin, Grand Funk Railroad, and Jethro Tull alone would've made for a better festival.

At least Hendrix was there to represent the heavier side of rock.

Zeppelin didn't really fit the Woodstock form anyways IMO.

If all the bands that declined or didn't show up formed their own festival, it would've been 100 times more succesful - Zeppelin, Grand Funk Railroad, and Jethro Tull alone would've made for a better festival.

At least Hendrix was there to represent the heavier side of rock.

What, you have something against Sha Na Na????? <_<

Archived