Best Yardbirds song?

jimmie ray

I'm really blown away by "Evil Hearted You" - it's so chaotic and raw. But not sure which guitarist is on this one (someone made a CD for me, no notes on it)?

I believe it's during Beck's tenure. My favorite non-Jimmy song is Heart Full of Soul. Favorite Jimmy-song is Happenings Ten Years Time Ago (I wish the title was shorter, though :blink:)

I've got to say it seems like a cop-out, but I think For Your Love is their best in terms of standing the test of time.

The few versions the Led Zeppelin played live were really psychadelic.

I'm only 23 though, so what do I know about it.

Thanks - I believe Jeff Beck was their last guitar player? There's really so many great Yardbirds songs - yet ask most people to just name three, and see their reaction...

Nope...Jimmy was...and when the band "disbanded" he started another band..who's name escapes me..let's see, something about a metallic something. Oh well, I'm sure it went over like a lead zeppelin.

I agree that most people don't know too much about the Yardies (forum members excluded). But I have a soft spot for Keith Relf. He always seemed so sad and soulful. I'm glad you're into them too! :)

I used to have a cassete tape of them with a cheap-ass picture on the front. Pagey was in the pic, but the songs were from before he was there. I don't remember where I got it. Heart Full of Soul was on it, and I can't remember what else. I need to listen to some Yardbirds to refresh my memory. Was Page the first guy to have his guitar hanging way down like that? When you see footage 60's bands, their guitars are up really high and it looks kind of funny to me.

As much as I like Jimmy, most of my favorite Yardbirds songs are the ones that Jeff Beck plays on:

Mister You're A Better Man Than I

Train Kept A Rollin'

I'm Not Talking

Over Under Sideways Down

Shapes Of Things

and, Happenings Ten Years Time Ago (which of course is Jeff & Jimmy together)

The song that I like the best with just Jimmy on it is Puzzles.

As much as I like Jimmy, most of my favorite Yardbirds songs are the ones that Jeff Beck plays on:

Train Kept A Rollin'

I'm Not Talking

Over Under Sideways Down

Shapes Of Things

Shit, yeah!!!

Train Kept A Rollin'

I'm Not Talking

Over Under Sideways Down

Shapes Of Things

I love the Yardbirds and you've listed some of my favorite Yardies' songs. Of those, Train Kept A Rollin' and Happenings Ten Years Time Ago are my favorites.

My favorite Jimmy and Jeff collaboration is "Beck's Bolero" (with Jonesy on bass). My husband, who is a huge Jeff Beck fan, introduced me to the song. :wub: He was the one who told me that Jimmy played on it too. :)

"Happenings Ten Years Time Ago"

Second choice maybe, "Over, Under, Sideways, Down"

Those are mine. There is also a Springboards records knockoff of Shapes of Things and features a covershot of Jeff Beck with his oxblood Les Paul. This has an instrumental I'm really keen on, but I can't remember the title. Bitchin slide solo though.

Edited by rokarolla

Shapes of Things - Blew me away when I first heard it. Think I was ten years old.

I'm a Man - Love the speeded up version of the original. I think it was by Muddy Waters.

Over Under Sideways Down - Who can't love that guitar riff and boogie bass line.

Smokestack Lightning - the live version kicks ass. Keith Relf doesn't get his due as a harpist.

Heart Full of Soul - Great tune written by Graham Gouldman, later of 10CC.

of all the sixties groups I have to say The Yardbirds were most influential for me. Not just because of the legendary guitarists, but the way they interpreted the blues spawned a whole era of boogie style groups that would come later in the decade (ie; Savoy Brown, Canned Heat, etc.) and on into the next one. Fantastic group that's a must listen.

I've got to say it seems like a cop-out, but I think For Your Love is their best in terms of standing the test of time.

I think it sucks because you can barely hear any guitar in it until the chorus. Sounds like a harpsicord. There is more bongos in it than anything else.

Edited by mos6507

Mr. Your A Better Man....Anderson Theatre

Its really a shame there isn't more available as far as bootleg performances go... I heard the Anderson Theatre show and I was hooked...

I think I'm to the point of venturing out and getting a studio album or two of theirs'.

All time favorite: "Stroll On" (Beck/Page)

Clapton era favorites: "Got To Hurry", "Wish You Would", "A Certain Girl"

Beck era favorites: "Over Under Sideways Down", "Shape Of Things", "Hot House Of Omaegarishid"

Page era favorites: "Think About It", "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago", "White Summer"

All time favorite: "Stroll On" (Beck/Page)

Clapton era favorites: "Got To Hurry", "Wish You Would", "A Certain Girl"

Beck era favorites: "Over Under Sideways Down", "Shape Of Things", "Hot House Of Omaegarishid"

Page era favorites: "Think About It", "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago", "White Summer"

You've actually listed all of my favorites except one and I'm sure that you will love it too. Its called "I'm Not Talking." It actually sounds like a Zeppelin song. ROCK ON!

"Im Not Talking" is great. Other favorites:

Clapton: "Good Morning Little Schoolgirl", "Smokestack Lightning", "I Aint Got You"

Beck: ""Psycho Daisies", "Train Kept A Rolling", "Still Im Sad"

Page: "Little Games", "Goodnight Sweet Josephine (P.2)", "Drinking Muddy Water (BBC)"