What if...

slagfarmer

I know that there is no specific answer to this but what do you think the band would have sounded like if they had continued? In through the out door was a big change from what they had been doing. RP JPJ and JP all seemed to go in different musical directions after Led Zeppelin.

I know that there is no specific answer to this but what do you think the band would have sounded like if they had continued? In through the out door was a big change from what they had been doing. RP JPJ and JP all seemed to go in different musical directions after Led Zeppelin.

Perhaps similar to the Plant solo single 'Easily Lead'.

A very interesting thing to ponder, for sure.

Based on what they did as solo artists,

I think we would have been in for a lot more electronic textures from both Jones and Page. That kind of thing with Bonham behind it would have been pretty interesting.

How that would have translated live, mixed with their previous work is also hard to imagine. The Tour Over Europe found them heading more into a noisy, spacey, abstract kind of approach, Page in particular and Jones too with the Alembic basses and synthesizers. Jimmy would have been using guitar synths before long as well.

I think the members had some personal and physical issues to deal with in the 80s, though, and I don't know if that would have been dealt with, had the band carried on.

Probably looking at Robert Plant's solo career would give a pretty good indication, though I suspect far fewer drum machines would have been used. :rolleyes::) Jones and Page might have added more orchestral elements to the studio work too.

It's hard to say if any of them would have taken the individual musical directions they did had they remained as a unit.

The 80's were a tough time for artists from the 60s and 70s, but I think Zep were poised to take it head on and on their own terms.

It's hard to say because so much changed at the turn of 1980.

John Lennon was dead and so the was John Bonham, with Led Zeppelin following suit. It was the end of an era.

If Bonham lives, who knows really! I'm sure they would have put out more of the same really. And they wouldn't have cared about the critics, as usual.

They'd be ever changing and still around today. We'd probably laugh at them like people do the Stones sometimes for being old.

But there is some sort of cosmic energy in the air about a second go around. We don't care how old they are!

It supercedes anything the Stones or the Beatles did.

It's probably good that they broke up. Not because Bonham died, but because it gave them a natural stopping point.

They had no reason to stop before because of the success. They had played away their young adult hood and needed a break to continue their individual journeys.

We all wish that they'd kept playing, but in a funny way, I'm glad they didn't.

It makes this go around most special.

They had no reason to stop before because of the success. They had played away their young adult hood and needed a break to continue their individual journeys.

We all wish that they'd kept playing, but in a funny way, I'm glad they didn't.

It makes this go around most special.

It definitely adds to the mystique.

Well the album In Through the Out Door has a 50's and 60's musical feel. So I think they would have done some 60's sounding rock and some 50's sounding rockabilly. THat's what I think they would've sounded like had they continued.

Interesting point.

Now that you mention it Robert Plant's appearance with Rockpile at Paul McCartney's Concert for Kampuchea definitely hints to that.

Combine the retro 50s with the use of 80's textures and you've got all the makings of a new wave band there.... B):ph34r:

I still think the abstract direction Jimmy's playing was taking would lead to an equally new-age kind of experience,

Really fuxxin' loud new age! :-) :lol: ....

New Age Wave ???

After the tour of -america, imo -page and -bonham would have had to face a road of change, not being judgemental, just saying from what i see as a fan. Ofcourse good advice is always easy and hindsight is hindsight. As a band, it would have done them good to take some time off and regroup when it was a good time to regroup.

It seemed like -plant and -jones were thinking of the 80s already from what -in through the out door sounded like.

Page probably dies within a couple years with the substance abuses he was still doing. He always tries to downplay his drug use but most people that knew him felt he was really frail. If the band continued like it was for a couple of years Jimmy probably dies. Bonzo's death may have saved Jimmy's life because it forced him to quit his drugs.

From what I have read, John Henry Bonham, was getting very fed up with touring and being away from his family. His kids were young and he had made his money and did not want to continue, and this is why he was drinking himself to death, so who knows I think he would of left Led Zeppelin,if he had been alive, and tended the land.

From what I have read, John Henry Bonham, was getting very fed up with touring and being away from his family. His kids were young and he had made his money and did not want to continue, and this is why he was drinking himself to death, so who knows I think he would of left Led Zeppelin,if he had been alive, and tended the land.
I feel Bonham may have done this because it's reported he got homesick often and they even made a song about it: 'Tea For One'.

Unless Peter grant could sweet talk him and bargain a bit.

Didn't Page say that he an Bonham wanted to get back to the roots of harder blues-based rock after ITTOD?

Re: the touring, they could have toured less often, less shows. Or they could have just become a studio band a la the Beatles.

Didn't Page say that he an Bonham wanted to get back to the roots of harder blues-based rock after ITTOD?

Re: the touring, they could have toured less often, less shows. Or they could have just become a studio band a la the Beatles.

Yeah, he and Bonham found ITTOD too soft. Though it greatly expanded Bonham's drumming resumé and gave Jimmy probably his most complicated solo in FITR. It was already in the works that Plant wanted to leave the band too but Grant told him about just doing studio versions and having much less stops.

However it would've been HEAVEN if they went totally studio right after Knebworth. Then the majesty could've lived on forever.

Well, I hope that would have been true because ITTOD was actually not very good in many people's opinion. And Presence, while having some good tracks, was only better than ITTOD compared to the rest of the band's stuff up to that point.

The band had obviously already peaked and had been on a downhill slide for at least a few years. They either would have gotten back to the roots, or unded up like so many synthesized hair bands of the 80's. But who knows, maybe they could have prevented that... but does it ever really work out that way.

I think it would be great if the band actually did some more stuff beyond this reunion concert. Even if it were just to cover some roots style blues stuff again that would be great.

There is a bootleg studio tape from 1978 of a Song called "Fire (Say You Gonna Leave Me)" that I believe would be a great example of the way they were headed.

The song seems to be played on a strat. The song has a very 1980's kind of sound something like U2 but with a much heavier beat and Robert Plant on vocals

A sample can be heard here.

http://www.led-zeppelin.org/multimedia/ind...=studioouttakes

seems to only work of Internet Explorer.

"At the time we'd played Knebworth and we'd played in Europe, and John Bonham and I had already decided that we wanted, after In Through The Out Door, to make something hard-hitting and riff-based again. Of course, we never got to make that album."

- Jimmy Page (taken from Guitarist issue 297)

LIKE IT'S BEEN ALWAYS: AWESOME

Unless Peter grant could sweet talk him and bargain a bit.

Tea For One was written by Robert Plant because he was in a wheel chair all the time and not able to go anywhere. This was written after his car accident.

The last years of Zeppelin they didn't really tour as much. 77 was their last major tour then they had the 79 shows in Copenhagen and Knebworth and the 80 European Tour. I could see them being homesick for much of 68-73 because they basically toured 5 straight years with very little stop. But from 75 on there was less touring because of Plant's car accident and then son dying.

I never knew about this as their personal lives have always been mystereious. I had a home made tape of Live Aid from 1984 when Phil Collins played with them (and stunk up the drumming big time), and you could see that Jimmy was trashed big time. Dont know if it was booze, drugs or both. But if he had lived (Bonzo) and Jimmy survived, I think Plant would have tested the waters on his own regardless. Of course I also believe their would have been a reunion long before and they certainly would have released at least an album or two beyond "Outdoor". Im sure we would have had some more great material. And Coda would not have existed.

A Coda would have come out eventually. Just not in 1982. Jimmy still drank a lot after Bonzo died but the drugs are what was killing him in the late 70s. Just look at DVD of him in 70(at RAH) or 75(at Earls Court) from the DVD and compare that to Knebworth just a few years later. It looks almost like a different guy.

Archived