Robert Plant and Sting

June 19 2001

Warsaw, Poland Gwardia Stadium -Telekomunikaacja Polska S.A. Music and Film Festival

(Robert Plant & Strange Sensation billed between Polish vocalist Kasia Kowalska and Sting)

July 11 2001

Athens, Greece Herodes Atticus Odeon

(Robert Plant & Strange Sensation billed as opener for Sting)

I've never seen any definitive proof that the gig in Athens was actually held)

It's worth noting Robert specifically cited being in the company of Sting, among other

"celebrity performers" at the 12/10/98 Paris Amnesty International Concert: The Struggle Continues to commemorate 50th Ann. Universal Declaration of Human Rights as a

catlyst for leaving Page/Plant to return to low-key performances on his own terms with his own band the Priory of Brion.

I don't know the real story behind Robert Plant and Sting.

What I do know is that back in 2001, the concert DID take place but not at Herodes Atticus Odeon but at OAKA stadium and yes Robert Plant was opening for Sting here in Athens it turned out to be a complete disaster!

Although the concert started at 20:00 with a greek group as a first support act (PIX LAX), then Robert Plant came on stage and refused to come down! He was singing for 2 hours (support 2 hours? come on!) AND HIS VOICE AND HIS SOUND WAS AWFUL!

Then at about 23:30 Sting came on stage (finnaly!) and although we were all bored to death and some of us were starting to feel a bit frustrated, Sting performed beyond any expectations!

I remember it started raining when Sting came on stage but nobody left! We were all singing in ecstasy! (We were of course releived that our torture had ended - Robert Plant that is!)

I have to add that I asked about it my husband who is not a Sting fun and likes Robert Plant and he agreed with my view: Robert Plant was not good on stage and although after the first hour no-one really paid any attention to him in the stadium (besides the guys in front of the stage, of course) he kept screaming....and screaming.....

I love Stairway to Heaven but the live version was not what I expected....

Ah! Memories!

Natasha

Call me crazy,but shouldn't Sting have opened for Robert Plant,not vice versa?

yep, exactly what was on my mind when I read this, on the other hand, I'd add the word "commercially" to the answer about Sting being more successful at the time. I also loved his 80-s albums :rolleyes: Starting from the year 2K his albums sound sort of similar to each other. They are all right, but the soul's missing... May be this is the key to commercial success though. I once read an interview Robert gave in January this year I guess. He sounded bitter about not having his songs played on the radio and him always being "the wrong flavour"... I wonder where did that come from? Since when the "prince of coolness" was the "wrong flavour"?... I have to find that interview, it is an interesting read...

I don't know the real story behind Robert Plant and Sting.

What I do know is that back in 2001, the concert DID take place but not at Herodes Atticus Odeon but at OAKA stadium and yes Robert Plant was opening for Sting here in Athens it turned out to be a complete disaster!

Natasha

Natasha, that is an unusual story... I guess, nothing can be found on Internet about this, may be in Greek only. I wonder what songs did he perform.

Jason told a great story about his Dad knocking Sting out with one punch back in the day. I also think there was bad feeling about Sting using Hossam Ramzy and his orchestra and acting as if he was the first person to ever think of doing it. As for specifics - wish I couldhelp, will try to find out.

I'd never heard that story before....about knockin out STING. I heard a similar story of it being Billy Idol....which can be found in a few Zeppelin books. Hammer of the Gods has a reference to this incident if I'm not mistaken.

I thought that the Police were one of Bonzo's favorite bands?.....am I wrong here?

I know Bonzo liked the Police because he was pi$$ed when they didn't win the best new band award at some UK ceremony in 1979. He reacted by drunkenly singing "Message In a Bottle" at the top of his lungs.

Never heard about him decking Stink, but it wouldn't surprise me. Heck, Stewart Copeland broke two of Stink's ribs in a scuffle before they went onstage once.

I loved the Police, but egos definitely drove them apart. Copeland had lots of great ideas, and he was the real rocker in the band. Just check out his Klark Kent CD that he put out in 1980, using ideas that Stink rejected. It rocks pretty hard, and proves that the first two Police albums had a lot of Copeland's influence.

I remember Howard Stern teasing Stink about the whole tantric sex thing. Stink said he could "do it" for up to six hours at a time, but said that time period included both dinner and a movie. :D

Yeah, I'm surprised by the Bonzo-thumped-Sting incident too. Stewart Copeland (who loves Zeppelin and was at the O2 show) has fondly recounted that he met John Bonham in 1979, and Bonham was "so sweet" - his words - and complimentary about the band.

Yeah, I'm surprised by the Bonzo-thumped-Sting incident too. Stewart Copeland (who loves Zeppelin and was at the O2 show) has fondly recounted that he met John Bonham in 1979, and Bonham was "so sweet" - his words - and complimentary about the band.

I don't know whether this is when the said decking incident took place (maybe Knebby can confirm or correct?), but I read a Deborah Bonham interview a few months ago where she recalled herself, John and Jason going back stage after a Police gig and both Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers were really friendly. Sting, however, was very aloof and arrogant towards John. John was rather miffed as he was a big Police fan.

I don't know whether this is when the said decking incident took place (maybe Knebby can confirm or correct?), but I read a Deborah Bonham interview a few months ago where she recalled herself, John and Jason going back stage after a Police gig and both Stewart Copeland and Andy Summers were really friendly. Sting, however, was very aloof and arrogant towards John. John was rather miffed as he was a big Police fan.

Glad to hear that it makes Me feel better about disliking Sting all these years.On a side note I finally sent Your package out today.Slow but sure been real busy but at least I sent it lol

I've never heard it anywhere but from Jason himself, and he was about 13 at the time. It could have been a bit of teen swagger but it sounds pretty likely as a story to me. ;)

I've never heard it anywhere but from Jason himself, and he was about 13 at the time. It could have been a bit of teen swagger but it sounds pretty likely as a story to me. ;)

That must have been very disillusioning to Jason - to have the lead singer of your favourite band be a total prat to you & your dad.

Though like you Knebby, I have a puzzling & persistent affection for Sting. Can't imagine why...

Sting.jpg

Jason told a great story about his Dad knocking Sting out with one punch back in the day.

According to a book written by Bonham's brother (Mick, who passed away in 2000), Bonzo was indeed a huge fan of the Police, saying that Bonzo thought they were the type of band that could "de-throne" the mighty Zep, and loved "Message in a Bottle," playing it over and over in his car stereo.

Maybe Mick Bonham downplayed the meeting as I thought the story he told was the other two members of the Police were polite to Bonzo, but a drunken Sting sat in the corner belittling Zeppelin, and thought Sting a prick.

Bonzo later laughed it off, recalling he was himself a bit cocky, too, when he got his first taste of fame and fortune.

I recall a picture of Bonzo with a Police pin on his jacket.

BTW, Mick's book is an interesting read. More of what went on in Bonzo's life OFF the road.

That must have been very disillusioning to Jason - to have the lead singer of your favourite band be a total prat to you & your dad.

Though like you Knebby, I have a puzzling & persistent affection for Sting. Can't imagine why...

Sting.jpg

:blink::D Stop it. I want to be pissed at him.

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting article. I didn't see any mention of Sting, but I did learn that Robert plays the ukelele, is conversant in astrology, and this little nugget: "It’s great to be able to do something other than actually sing,” Plant continues. “I play guitar like [the blues musician] Otis Rush, but I haven’t been allowed to do so until recently.”

Gratuitous Sting photo:

sting.jpg

Archived