The Dark Knight Spoiler Thread

Nathan

If you haven't seen the movie, and you are in this thread, and then you decide to complain that we spoiled the movie for you, that makes you exceedingly immature and you don't deserve to see this movie.

(I only say that because I've seen it done in the past)

So one more time. This is a spoiler thread. If You haven't seen the movie, and don't like to get spoiled, then please, stay out.

So, this thread is for those who've seen the movie.

1. Did you like it? Do you think it lived up to, or even surpassed, the hype? Do you think it deserves all the accolades and pre-official "award-nominations" (ever single critic has said this movie, especially Heath Ledger, deserves, at the very least, numerous Grammy Awards)?

2. Are you glad or sad that Rachel Dawes died (she is not a very popular character, as it turns out)?

3. How was the Joker? How was Heath Ledger as the Joker?

4. How was Harvey Dent and, later on, Harvey "Two-Face" Dent? How was Aaron Eckhart in playing both those rolls? Do you believe Two-Face is dead (despite the possible fact that he is supposed to be the main bad guy of the third movie [i could be wrong about that, but I'm about 98% sure of it])?

5. Were you sad that the Batmobile got destroyed?

6. Did you like Batman's new suit?

7. Are you hoping that Lucius Fox does not resign, after all?

8. Do you agree with Lucius that Batman's little Sonar spy machine thingy was unnecessary, or do you agree that, while an evil, it was a necessary evil? Are you glad that when Lucius typed in his name, the machine completely shut down, never to be used again?

9. Do you think the ending made sense/was justified?

10. Should there be more then three, in order to try and save the legacy of Bane (Bane was not only the greatest tactical mind that Batman ever fought [he was a tactical genius], but he was also the one who broke Batman's back), Robin, and maybe Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy? Or is three enough?

Please, add anything else you would like to add. Let's spark a discussion about the greatest movie of '08 and, possibly, of all-time.

1. Did you like it? Do you think it lived up to, or even surpassed, the hype? Do you think it deserves all the accolades and pre-official "award-nominations" (ever single critic has said this movie, especially Heath Ledger, deserves, at the very least, numerous Grammy Awards)?

2. Are you glad or sad that Rachel Dawes died (she is not a very popular character, as it turns out)?

4. How was Harvey Dent and, later on, Harvey "Two-Face" Dent? How was Aaron Eckhart in playing both those rolls? Do you believe Two-Face is dead (despite the possible fact that he is supposed to be the main bad guy of the third movie [i could be wrong about that, but I'm about 98% sure of it])?

8. Do you agree with Lucius that Batman's little Sonar spy machine thingy was unnecessary, or do you agree that, while an evil, it was a necessary evil? Are you glad that when Lucius typed in his name, the machine completely shut down, never to be used again?

10. Should there be more then three, in order to try and save the legacy of Bane (Bane was not only the greatest tactical mind that Batman ever fought [he was a tactical genius], but he was also the one who broke Batman's back), Robin, and maybe Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy? Or is three enough?

Please, add anything else you would like to add. Let's spark a discussion about the greatest movie of '08 and, possibly, of all-time.

1. I really really really enjoyed it. I think it was yes and no (more yes than no) on the hype. And it's a possible that Heath might get something.

2. Eh, didn't affect me at all. It wasn't Katie Holmes so I sorta abandoned my feelings sorta, but it was sad for them.

3. Joker was excellent. Extremely demented, and worked out very very well.

4. I thought Harvey was a badass. I never knew the DA would kick ass, but it took me a bit to get a hold of it (I forgot that Two Face's original name was Harvey, plus the coin was a dead giveaway) and when he became Two Face I was a bit freaked by how he looked but he did it well (relying on people's fate with a coin). I don't know if he lived or not. I mean, Batman survived the fall because of the suit and he's done worse.

5. I was alright. I was more like "WTF IS THIS SHIT!?"

6. The batsuit is always cool.

7. Morgan Freeman is essential in life so it'd suck if he did

8. I don't know if I'd call it evil, it's a way to monitor (a bat has to see somehow) and I think it was Fox's choice to do it for the greater good, I suppose.

9. Batman is now a wanted criminal? *thinks of Spiderman 3*

10. Hmm....well, I think The Joker is Batman's greatest nemesis (no matter how you slice it) but...I don't know if there is to be a third. If you look at the ending, it'd be pretty hard to do his work with the fuzz after him now. I don't know if Mr. Freeze should be used...I think it'd do justice because Ahnuld's version....no...just no. And I can't recall ever seeing Poison Ivy (might've been in the OLD movies but I haven't seen them) but it would be great to see something. How about....him and Superman? Just like the cartoon.

*points to sig*

It probably surpassed the hype, it was that damn good.

Happy, she did nothing for the plot at all.

I'm not a Ledger fan, but this was honestly one of the best performances that I have ever seen, and no thats not because of his death. He was really just that good

I think he died and I think Eckhart did great, but Ledger blew him away

Pfft no...

Ok fine, yes I am :'(

Yeah

He didn't first of all, secondly hell no I don't want him too. I love Morgan Freeman!

I'm with Batman. Yeah it was too much power, but it was a one-time deal and it had to be done.

Not only did it make sense, but it was probably the greatest scene of any Batman movie ever

They need more. Batman rules...he deserves way more

10. Hmm....well, I think The Joker is Batman's greatest nemesis (no matter how you slice it) but...I don't know if there is to be a third. If you look at the ending, it'd be pretty hard to do his work with the fuzz after him now. I don't know if Mr. Freeze should be used...I think it'd do justice because Ahnuld's version....no...just no. And I can't recall ever seeing Poison Ivy (might've been in the OLD movies but I haven't seen them) but it would be great to see something. How about....him and Superman? Just like the cartoon.

*points to sig*

There will be a third. That I can state as a fact with 100% certainty.

I think he died and I think Eckhart did great, but Ledger blew him away

I still think he's alive, because, as I said, I'm 98% sure he is the main bad guy of the third movie.

He didn't first of all, secondly hell no I don't want him too. I love Morgan Freeman!

Yes he did. When Batman (who he knew was Bruce Wayne) showed him the machine and what it does, he said something along the lines of "I'll help you this once, but consider this my resignation."

I'm waiting for more responses until I give my answers...

Yes he did. When Batman (who he knew was Bruce Wayne) showed him the machine and what it does, he said something along the lines of "I'll help you this once, but consider this my resignation."

Actually, what he said was that he'd help him that one time but he would resign if that machine stayed in Batmans hands. Since it was destroyed, he had no reason to quit anymore

1. It definitely is a very good film. I like the crime drama tone that the film goes for and mostly succeeds in capturing.

It's an entertaining and thoughtful film, if a little heavy handed thematically at times. It's certainly not perfect, and I have slight quibbles about it here and there, especially the sonar cell-phone detection scene there towards the end with swooping 3d shots that seemed like something out of Daredevil, and with white eyed batman being given Matrix style updates by Morgan Freeman was definitely one of the most gimmicky moments of the film and took away from the otherwise gritty, realistic tone of the film. That was probably the one moment where I was like "yeah, this feels like a comic book movie." But overall I dug it.

I'm sure it will get nominations for cinematography, sound-editing, things like that. And I would be disappointed if Ledger didn't get a nomination. Don't know about all this best picture talk though.

2. I am glad the Rachel Dawes character was killed in this film. That role was probably my biggest problem with Begins, I felt the love angle between her and Bruce felt really really forced, and I hated when he revealed himself as Batman to her. So I'm glad that's over and done with. Besides, it proved as the perfect motivation for Harvey Dent's character to descend into two face.

3. The best representation of the Joker on screen by FAR, and one of the wickedest movie villains of all time.

4. Eckhart was good, I'm just a little disappointed in Two-Face's role in the film. I mean he's probably my favorite Batman villain and to have him relegated as a secondary villain for the last portion of the movie and nothing more left something to be desired I thought. I thought they developed the character wonderfully and mapped out the motivations for his psychology about as well as they could have, but just didn't...deliver on it.

Do you believe Two-Face is dead (despite the possible fact that he is supposed to be the main bad guy of the third movie [i could be wrong about that, but I'm about 98% sure of it])?

As I said, Two-Face and the whole duality of his psychology makes him my favorite villain in Batman comics, so I felt the his character was never fully delivered on in this film. Two-Face is a representation of what can happen to Batman if he ever goes to far, of what happens when madness takes the best of us. So I was really hoping he wouldn't really be revealed until the third film, where he could be the main villain in that one.

However. Putting aside the Batman mythos and simply looking at this film, it makes more sense that he is dead. The purpose of the Harvey Dent character was to portray his tragic fall, and the Two-Face character in Nolan's world was as a man out for revenge on a killing spree for justice, not as some super villain character. Besides, as much as I'd like to see Two-Face live on in some ways, it's just hard for me to see how they could pull that off in a third film. The thing is Harvey Dent is still recognizable as Two-Face, and so if he showed up in the next film knocking people off left and right, the point of Batman taking the blame for his murders would be rendered meaningless. So he would have vilified himself for no reason basically.

Nolan hasn't even confirmed that he will make a third film in the series yet, let alone who the villains will be.

5. Not really, I think that was a cool way for it to go.

6. It's fine.

7. It's implied that he won't resign. He says he will help Batman this once, but won't continue to work at Wayne Enterprises if that device is allowed to exist. Batman tells him to type in his name after he is done, he does, the device is destroyed, so Lucius will stay.

8. I believe the point was that the Joker won in the end because he forced EVERYONE to compromise their values in order to stop him. That's what the whole character was about. Wayne and Fox had to cross a line to find him - and that was the Joker's plan all along.

9. Very much so.

The purpose of pinning dent's murders on Batman has a few purposes besides the obvious one of covering up Dent's name.

With several murders under his belt, Batman will be a much more fearsome foe for all the criminals, now they will be much more likely to take his threats seriously.

By turning the citizens of Gotham against Batman, this also reinforces their praise of the incorruptible Dent. No longer having Batman, a vigilante, to turn to as a hero, they will look more fondly towards the legal side of justice which is a major part of Batman's goal.

10. A third film isn't even confirmed yet, and it would be hard to see how they could top this one, especially with the role that Ledger played. I trust Nolan, but still. I have a feeling this is the high point of the series even if there is a third.

I was never a fan of the "tumbler" enough to feel it was worthy as the perminent batmobile so I'm highly anticipating a badass car for the next one.

The batsuits are not impressive at all. Too showy, too much gadgetry. I think the Keaton suits, especially the headpieces are the best. Bale's headpiece looks awkward..along with his pitiful bat voice.

The twist with Gordon was awesome. One of the highlights of the film.

The Joker's incarceration was probably my favorite part of the whole film.

I was overly happy the Joker wasn't dropped to his death at the hands of Batman ala (Batman 1989)

Ledger turned in what will probably be remembered as the most diabolical comic villain role in cinema history. He deserves all the recognition. Oscar worthy? Ehh.

Eckhart surprised me with his role as Dent and I was satisfied with what they did with the character. His make up made Tommy Lee Jones' look like dried up grape juice. I know he was the front runner for the villain in the third film, but I'm not so sure he survived.

Bale is still a better Bruce Wayne than Batman, but that's good. He's a great actor.

The music was 100 % better this time around, especially during the tense bomb scenes. While no one will ever come close to what Danny Elfman did for Batman, this time around Zimmer got it right.

I had a feeling Rachel was going to die. I disagree that she didn't play a significant part. On the contrarey, I think her role was more important this time around which made her death even more surprising. Maggie was alot better than Katie too.

I plan to see it again in a few days. There's so much going on, you kinda have to. And want to because it's that damn good.

i tell ya, the batman/joker relationship is the anchor of the film (and possibly the franchise). this is a good thing for this film and perhaps bad for the future. heath ledger took his portrayal as nothing less than based in the real, deep in the moment, reaching into every corner of the villian's mind. it was a startling revelation. and it was about damn time.

for years, the joker was written this way, in small little bursts. he was a joy to read, and he was a joy to finally see on screen. the speech tics, the pure menace, the spontaneity of a psychopath, from where i was sitting, he got it all right. freed from the 5 minute comic book read, the joker fully realized was everything he could have(and should have) been.

i agree, the incarceration scene was a worldbeater! every dance step either took, the other one followed. everyone in the theater i was in especially loved the joker/dent scene in the hospital. joker in a nurses dress was exactly the right touch of levity to a soul-crushing scene.

speaking of harvey dent, what an ace in the hole! brilliantly played, we all left the theater wishing he wasn't dead. the face was well-done, the broken soul believable. left us wanting more...

micheal caine and morgan freeman-this is how you do a hollywood epic. fill every available role with the best you can get.

gary oldman is one of my favorite actors...all the way back to rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead. he was so subtle in this film, he looked effortless. i love the way the character was written this time and if there ever was a contender for the morgan freeman crown of underplaying, it would be gary. what a change from 'sid and nancy'.

i haven't seen anyone mention him yet, and while his part is small, eric roberts is a vast improvement from the oily italian mob boss from the last film. now that i mention it, nearly everything was a vast improvement from the last film.

except...

1. batman's cowl-the real two-face of the film. from the side and the back, the best looking head gear ever. dead-on into the camera-very odd shaped and disconcerting. i wondered about it instead of believed it from that angle. they need to fix this shit. or change actors. how about aaron eckart? just kidding...

2. deebo throws the detonator out the window?

3. chicago revealed as gotham. as someone from chicago, i loved seeing my city, and i got no real quibble, it worked fine. but was it as darkly luscious and imposing as gotham in 'batman begins'? i haven't made up my mind...

4. more explosions than all the 'die-hard's' together? less is more here...(okay, a little less, perhaps.) they started to have less effect the last quarter of the film. the hospital explosion was 'the bomb', though....

5. the batman 'voice'. sounded more like snake from 'escape from ny' than clint, but snake was doing clint anyways, so..

i like the tumbler, and really liked the batpod. i gotta get me one of those....

i also thought it was cool that the let him wreck the lambro

question:

1. was the handcuffed schizophrenic joker accomplice in the cop uniform the actor who played doogie howser's best friend from the t.v. show? looked like him...

rachel was fine, maggie was better than katie and i'm glad they are both dead. as yoda once said "there is another..."

which brings us to 'bruce/bats': i can tell you from experience that it takes a very fine actor to give it up to another actor in the scene and still carry the film. christian bale is the best batman AND bruce wayne....so far. gotta give him that.

so much more will be written about ledger in the coming days and all of it will say mostly the same (and still be mostly true). i'm glad he did it and i wish he could have been here to see it and how it went down. he deserved it.

as for the franchise, i think there is one more good movie to be had out there that is not dependant on the joker. i would skip all the 'bring back two-face' bs on the fanboy boards and bring in a seriously smoldering catwoman. done in the same vein as the joker and with just as good an actress, then there might be another...(thanks, yoda)

Hi all,

Nathan,good thread! :thumbsup:

Check:© :P

I liked alot.That said,it's going in the DVD collection.It lived up to the 'hype',depending on which 'hype' you read/heard.Personally,I don't give a hoot about awards,the reward was in the viewing,IMO.

Thankless role in any Batman story.Rachel died,eveyone else is scarred for life.

Herr Ledger nailed it,right in the back of your skull.(pun intended),The is the Joker I remember,brutal.

Again,Herr Eckhart also deserves kudos.I'm looking forward to Nolan's directors cut on this.The Dent/Two-Face seemed alittle rushed to me.I think Harvey is dead but not Two-Face,too much to work with in that character not to bring him back.

No,they can build another,...

I like the fact that in BB,it was made to do what may needed to be done.If Wayne and Fox didn't rework it,well that would be a mistake.

I like the fact that Fox didn't agree with Wayne's use of a certain devise.I read that as a political overtone,but well worth the effort.

See above.

It doesn't have too.I,at times don't like everything wrapped up at the end of a flim.A story should make us9me) ponder the what-if's,......

After the $$$ this film made?Warner Brothers made more on opening day than BB made in total,or something like that,... :huh:

The Follywood suits are going to demand 3 and 4 and 5,etc,.....

If you haven't seen the movie, and you are in this thread, and then you decide to complain that we spoiled the movie for you, that makes you exceedingly immature and you don't deserve to see this movie.

So one more time. This is a spoiler thread. If You haven't seen the movie, and don't like to get spoiled, then please, stay out.

1. Loved it. Long movie, but engaging. Had the requisite gears moving the film along. At the very least it lived up to the hype. Ledger has to be nominated, and not just as a posthumous token - that would actually be insulting to how good the role he created was.

2. No. Gyllenhaal was solid(much better than wooden Holmes), but the weight of the loss is largely because we see it through Wayne's & Den't eyes, not because we're invested in Rachel.

3. Stole the movie. If there's such a thing as too good, this is probably it. He overshadowed everything to some extent - plot, other characters, etc. The incredible thing about Heath's performance is that he played it totally straight, like this guy really exists. Nothing campy about it. When people talk about Nicholson's Joker, that's just it Nicholson doing the Joker, there's a lot of him in there, and while he's evil, there's still an element of safety or distance, like the audience plays along that he's evil, wink wink. Not so with Heath's Joker. He's shaped a sociopath that scares the hell out of you, so that when he says, "Why so serious?" it's in a totally different tone and to a far more chilling effect than if another Joker in movies past had said it.

4. Eckhart was terrific, but there was something about that transformation into Two Face that somehow didn't ring completely true, and I can't pinpoint why. Maybe he was too good at first? Maybe he didn't have moments of temptation? (Maybe I'm not remembering the movie well and have to go see it again :D ? ) The cg effects of his burned face didn't help. They didn't convey grossness, it was more like looking at one of those anatomy books, meh. If Two-Face returns, I hope he's a worthy adversary, a total menace, because it'll be hard to break through the interdependent relationship established between Batman & Joker. It's so creepy and delicious how they bring out the best worst in each other, and that kind of energy is best not tampered with because it's really hard to recreate once audiences are so invested in it.

5. lol No. So long as the next one gets him safely from villain a to villain b, it's all good. It's probably a good excuse to come up with another one that can do even cooler things. They should make the wheels bigger next time :P

6. I guess so. It looked less stiff than in the previous movie, though there was never anything glaringly ridiculous about it, like, say, Magneto's stupid helmet ahahaha!

7 & 8. Hmm, good questions. Well, I hope he does in the end, but now that they've established this plot turn, I hope they put it to good use with conflict on the home front brought on by the villains' willingness to go further than before, and so forcing Batman to consider doing the same. I love that there are all these implications about struggle for power, its uses, its temptations, limitations, how it shapes those who use it and those who have it used on them. Besides, Morgan Freeman is very cool.

9. You know what? I'm missing whole parts of this movie. I honestly don't remember how it ended. Seriously, the Joker was so damn hypnotic that some plot points are a blur, like Joker hanging upside down, and then...? And Gordon dies and then he's back, what the hell happened? Yes I was stone sober. Anyway, rambling aside, there's going to be a sequel - they can't just establish Two Face only to kill him off in the same movie.

10. Ok, that's a question for those who follow the comic book series. But there's value in it to those who don't. I'm a movie junkie, not a comic book movie fan per se, and the fact that you've got me answering these questions is a tribute to how well they've revived this franchise. It has basically made that golden egg that is the crossover to audiences outside its established core. So to answer your question, I'd love to see more of this Bane character, but being familiar with Poison Ivy & Mr. Freeze from previous movies, I'd prefer if those characters were not reintroduced. They were so dreadfully interpreted that's it's just best to work with new villains. Three may not be enough (see Potter, Harry), and I'm for as many good ones as it takes to get to Bane.

Can't wait to see it again.

1.This is the best movie seen all year, so awesome I was completley blown away, just speechless

2.Well it didn't happen in the comic but she was ugly as all hel not like Katie Holmes but she should have lived.

3.He made Jack Nicholson look like a little girl just one of the best acting performances I've ever seen just incredible. No not because he died.

4.Dent was played very well although I'll bet a bundle he aint dead.

5.The batmobile was awesome!

6.No it was very inefficient.

7.Yah he's cool.

8.It was very necessary over a thousand people would have died. It was good it got shutdown.

9.The ending was okay it did make sense but it pulled a Robert Plant and didnt really say wether it was over or not.

10.?

1. It lived up to the hype for me. I have to admit i am not a Batman nut. I have seen all of them but i am not what you would call a die hard fan. I was most excited to see this for Heath Ledgers peformance and i was not disappointed. Heath was a amazing. He stole the show. I wish there was even more of him in the movie. Heath had become an amazing actor. It's a shame he is gone. He should at least get a Oscar nomination. I enjoyed the movie as a whole as well but Heath was my favorite part.

2. I am glad Rachel got blown to bits. She was just annoying. And Maggie Gylenhall is not even good looking. Women in these super hero movies should be hot. She does not come close.

3. Heath ruled the movie. He was perfect.

4. I thought Aaaron Eckhart did a good job. This two face was way better then the Tommy Lee Jones version. Good backstory to how he became Two face and everything. But i think there should be just one villian per movie.

5. I could care less about the Batmobile. It just gives them an excuse to get fans excited about the new car.

6. Yeah it was cool. It's better now that the dude can turn his damn head.

7. I don't care about lucius Fox. Morgan Freeman annoys me now.

8. Don't care.

9. I thought it was a good ending.

10. There should be a movie to wrap things up.

The only other thing i can add is once again how amazing Heath Ledger was. The highllight of the film.

• 3 weeks later...

From the beginning of the film I was wanting to see Heath. Whenever he was not on the screen I felt less interested because with his character you wanted to like him despite how cruel, and disturbed he was. I laughed when he said let me show you a magic trick and then shoves the pencil in the guy's eye. Batman kind of paled in comparison, but still gave a good performance. The scene of him flipping over the semi is the best part!

CultureShock-TheJoker-thumb.jpg

From the beginning of the film I was wanting to see Heath. Whenever he was not on the screen I felt less interested because with his character you wanted to like him despite how cruel, and disturbed he was. I laughed when he said let me show you a magic trick and then shoves the pencil in the guy's eye. Batman kind of paled in comparison, but still gave a good performance. The scene of him flipping over the semi is the best part!

CultureShock-TheJoker-thumb.jpg

:o Gee! jane you are evil :lol:

When one person laughs everyone does :lol:

I remember when Phantom of the Paradise came out. There was a part in the movie where this guy called "Beef" get electricuted by this sign shaped like a lightning bolt

some guy in the theater yells out "Roast Beef" everyone in the theater was rolling on the floor :hysterical:

My favorite scene of that movie is the Joker chasing down Harvey Dent in the Semi truck, then the interrogation between the joker and batman.

Even though I saw the semi truck flip a billion times (I've been watching the DK trailer since it came out last Christmas before I saw the movie), It's probably the best part of the scene, but James Gordon busting The Joker at the end of it really puts the cherry on top.

I also really like the bank robbery scene at the starting, especially when the bank manager (played by William Fichtner) raised hell with his shot gun. :lol:

Archived