Best Night

pinky

I was wondering what the people on this board think was the best night of the legendary 1977 L.A. Forum shows as I've only heard the most famous night the 21st but I've heard the 23rd was the best. What do you think?

I was wondering what the people on this board think was the best night of the legendary 1977 L.A. Forum shows as I've only heard the most famous night the 21st but I've heard the 23rd was the best. What do you think?

I can definitely help you out with this one. I saw the 23 June 1977 show and I thought that it was the greatest show that I have ever seen in my life by any band live. I even saw the 23 July 1977 show at the Oakland Coliseum and this show does not even come close in comparison to the 23 June 1977 Forum show. So what does that tell you. ZEPPELIN has a great knack for playing great and up to par in L.A., it must be those L.A. Queens. ROCK ON!

The 25th is often quoted as the best 1977 LA Forum show but I disagree as this appears to be one of Bonzo's rare off-nights. He just doesn't sound energetic or enthusiastic about playing the songs.

I'll have to go with the 23rd or 26th (if you can bear the audio quality of the latter).

I like the 25th as my personal favorite. :D ...believe it or not the 25th was the very first LA 77 show I had a chance to get, and after listening to the other 5 many times I still like the 25th better.

All concerts in L.A. are great, but the absolutely best of all gig for me is the 27th. Incredibly as here Jimmy plays. His Solo from OTHAFA is the best what I ever heard. Heavy Guitar Riffs on No Quarter. Acoustic Version from Dancing Days! Outstanding NFBM, SIBLY, Achilles......and so one.

The 23rd has the best No Quarter even if Keith Moon's two cameos detract from the concert. My favorite is June 21, 1977 if for nothing else than the stupendous roll Bonzo plays in the first couple of minutes of The Song Remains The Same.

The 23rd has the best No Quarter even if Keith Moon's two cameos detract from the concert. My favorite is June 21, 1977 if for nothing else than the stupendous roll Bonzo plays in the first couple of minutes of The Song Remains The Same.

when i first hear the 21st show, i just played TSRTS about 10x in a row just to hear Bonzo at the beginning... its AWESOME.

I attended on the June 23, 25 and 27. I thought the June 23 concert was very fine and I was quite happy to be there.

My last memory of seeing John Bonham live was a hilarious moment when he physicially picked up and carried Robert Plant off the stage, while Robert was still holding fast to the microphone stand and dragging it along with him, telling the audience that he would return very soon.

I was at the 23rd. So, a little biased. But still a tough question, the 27th sounds great, as does the 21st. Never heard the 26th.

Eternal Light and Badgeholder,

I was also at the 23 June 1977 Forum concert, PLEASE TO MEET YOU! I also attended the 23 July 1977 Oakland concert which was great but not as good as the 23 June 1977 Forum concert. It feels great to meet fellow ZEPPELIN fanatics such as yourselves that saw the Forum shows. ROCK ON!

• 1 year later...

The 25th is often quoted as the best 1977 LA Forum show but I disagree as this appears to be one of Bonzo's rare off-nights. He just doesn't sound energetic or enthusiastic about playing the songs.

I'll have to go with the 23rd or 26th (if you can bear the audio quality of the latter).

Yeah I'v never really been that amazed by the 25th, I spose you could say its one of the most "professional" shows from 77 but as you say by that peroid espeically how well Bonham was playing had a massive effect and he doesnt seem as inspired to me as some of the other shows.

The 27th certainly is worth hearing if only because its probabley the most unique show of the tour, greatly extended solos(espeically love the end of the 3 peice jam in NQ which was unlike any other version I'v heard) and little extras even if the band do seem to tire towards the end.

No love for the June 22 show? :P Sort of a rough listen on the tapes (sorta like the 26th- the two shows Millard didn't tape), but IMO a lot of the energy from the 21st carries over on the 22nd.

Overall, I'd say the June 23rd show deservedly gets a lot of the accolades, but the numerous technical difficulties (Kashmir, TUF) do take the performance down a notch on a technical level. The June 21st show is legendary, but for me it's mainly down to Bonham's performance- clearly he was trying to make up for his poor showing in San Diego two days before. Likewise, I agree that Bonzo was a little lackadaisical on the 25th. That show doesn't get a lot of play around here. They sorta seem to be phoning it in on that date. YMMV, of course.

My personal favorite is probably the 27th...a lot of the extended improvs at this show are fantastic, and IMO, as previously stated in other threads, the 27th contains probably the best acoustic set of the tour.

My personal favorite is probably the 27th...a lot of the extended improvs at this show are fantastic, and IMO, as previously stated in other threads, the 27th contains probably the best acoustic set of the tour.

And Jimmy's solo is actually quite interesting! (Well, at least some of it.)

And Jimmy's solo is actually quite interesting! (Well, at least some of it.)

True. Admittedly, I only listen to the Noise Solos once in a blue moon, but I have to concede that even though the 27th NS is something like 26 mins long, it goes by rather quickly! I always dug the long Theramin workouts...

Taking into consideration the light show and laser pyramid, etc, on the tapes for the 27th, the audience doesn't sound bored...none of this "Enough of the guitar lesson!" heckling...Pagey's antics must have held the Forum in thrall by the sixth night...

I think I was at the show before Moonie came to visit.

My ticket stub was torn from the wrong side, or maybe they do that with 'comps' dunno, but they tore off the date and good stuff. :angry::(

I don't really listen to a lot of bootlegs, so I'll say the night I was there. :D

No Quarter comes clearly to memory, fantastic!

I was just so thankful and blessed to get to see them that last week at the Forum.

My sweet Ma drove me from SLC to LA so she wouldn't have to worry, and so she could visit her pals in Santa Monica.

I attended on the June 23, 25 and 27. I thought the June 23 concert was very fine and I was quite happy to be there.

My last memory of seeing John Bonham live was a hilarious moment when he physicially picked up and carried Robert Plant off the stage, while Robert was still holding fast to the microphone stand and dragging it along with him, telling the audience that he would return very soon.

I just got a mental picture of this, and it sounds funny. What part of the concert was this?

Archived