The 50 worst things to ever happen to music

Zepaholic

Another enjoyable list.

Best entry:

"15. CDs

First, record companies made everyone re-buy their entire collections on newfangled “compact discs,” promising sonic superiority and virtual indestructibility. Despite obvious drawbacks — ever try to separate seeds and stems on a jewel case? — everyone ponied up anyway. Then, once this digital format became the very means by which music could be ripped and distributed for free, these same companies cried poor. Boo. Hoo."

I thought that was pretty funny, even the one about today's kids. Even though I am a kid. I do appreciete good music, vinyl, and all the other types of things. Quite frankly, I don't know how to download anything from the internet, putting a ringtone on my phone takes me hours, and I didn't know how to work an ipod for the first three weeks I had one. My mom had to do it for me. I"m okay with all of that though, I know how to run a turntable into a stereo, what vinyl sounds likes, and all that good stuff. People my age may not understand what I do, but I enjoy putting that "round black thing" on the "spiny thing" and hearing just how wonderful it sounds. And yes, those are direct quotes from one of my friends.

39. AIDS

Although it was responsible for many deaths (Freddie Mercury and Eazy-E among them) and inspired one of the most insipid hits in the past three decades (That’s What Friends Are For), the most significant musical damage done by the AIDS virus came with the subsequent demonization of sex and drugs, two ingredients without which rock & roll become practically pointless — if not impossible.

:lol:

Tell that to the non-believers! ;)

Double Post, sorry. So I will include this one.

1. Kids Today!

Back in our day, we didn’t have any of yer fancy iPods and ringtones and downloads. We didn’t have the luxury and convenience of your scrotum-rings and your World Wide Web logs. When we wanted to steal the new Uriah Heep album, we couldn’t just troll the Internets for it, we had to do it the old-fashioned way — by hiking to the store (uphill, both ways) and shoving 12” of vinyl under our sweaters (which we had to knit ourselves). That’s why you sniveling whipper-snappers don’t appreciate the real value of music. Or Uriah Heep. Now get the hell off our lawn!

I had a great method !

I would go by the cash register, that the cashier didnt always attend, snag me a bag and take it over to the records, slip it in the rack between a couple of albums in the row. Then I would go around the store and pick about 5 albums I wanted, slip them into the bag, take the bag and walk out of the store! BINGO!

Records didnt have electric alarm stickers in them back then. It worked everytime! :D

The deaths of Hendrix, Morrison, and Joplin. Certainly there are other's that could be listed but the loss of these three in such a short period of time, changed the music scene and the hopes for a generation of music lovers

The deaths of Hendrix, Morrison, and Joplin. Certainly there are other's that could be listed but the loss of these three in such a short period of time, changed the music scene and the hopes for a generation of music lovers

...and Brian Jones and Duane Allman.....

....the ones seemingly everyone tends to overlook.

Jones was mentioned here...

8. The Age of 27

For most of us, the Bermuda Triangle of morbidity lies between the ages of 50 and 53, after which, if you dodge cancer, heart disease and other bullets, you’ll probably live for decades. For rock stars, the year to fear is 27 — the checkout date for Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, Brian Jones and blues legend Robert Johnson among others. Honorable mentions to Nick Drake (at a wizened 26) and Tim Buckley (at a boyish 28) — who were, after all, eccentric.

...but yeah, Duane doesn't get much attention.

Yeah, Duane was a huge loss. Sure he did quite many sessions with other artists, but I would have loved hearing more of him with the Allmans..

Jones was mentioned here...

8. The Age of 27

For most of us, the Bermuda Triangle of morbidity lies between the ages of 50 and 53, after which, if you dodge cancer, heart disease and other bullets, you’ll probably live for decades. For rock stars, the year to fear is 27 — the checkout date for Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, Brian Jones and blues legend Robert Johnson among others. Honorable mentions to Nick Drake (at a wizened 26) and Tim Buckley (at a boyish 28) — who were, after all, eccentric.

...but yeah, Duane doesn't get much attention.

Also Ron "Pigpen" McKernan original founding member of the Grateful Dead.

...But yeah I miss Duane a lot too.

Weren't the Doors on their way out anyway? I wish Morrison wouldn't have died then more people could be honest about how awful the Doors really are.

Weren't the Doors on their way out anyway? I wish Morrison wouldn't have died then more people could be honest about how awful the Doors really are.

Well one I couldn't disagree moer about The Doors being awful and second about them being "out" what happened was in 1971 The Doors contract with Electra expired and because Jim was so f**ked up he didn't want to continue but the rest of the band did. So Jim moved to Paris and the breakup happened before L.A. Woman (their last album) he was in contact with someone from The Doors he asked how the album was doing and since it was doing good he said cool let's make another album, but he passed away shortly after.

And about the list I think Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers should be in the top three as they prove that in todays world you don't have to have talent or know how to rock to be considered "the best of today". It's as simple as Miley can't sing and TJB...well they really just suck at everything where as opposed to bands like Led Zeppelin, or The Who where you actually had be the best to be considered the best

Hmmm...I know for sure that Morrison Hotel and LA Woman are anything but awful. I might define Def Leppard as awful but certainlt not the Doors.

Archived