Euthanasia

Jimmy's A Legend

Enuthanaisa- Ending a life painlessly when in pain or suffering from an illness.

Dunno about over in America but here it is illegal and i think that it should be made legal becuase if someone is suffering then i think that it is in their right to have the choice if they want to carry on loving a low quality life suffering in pain and just wishing that it could all be over. I personaly don't think that it is right for it to be illegal.

What's your opinion.

Sorry to start such a depressing topic.

i say if the person has put it in they're will before hand then to do so. If not, its not a choice anyone else related to they should be able to make. I know alot of those people cannot speak for themselves because of illness and you might want to because you dont want to see them suffer. but you cant do it unless the person has allowed you it wouldnt be right any other way but a person should have the option.

I'm for it. No person should have to endure agonizing pain in their final years. If it is their wish to die with dignity, then I'm all for it. I'm also for those that request assisted suicide at the hands of their spouse. For too many times we've heard of cases where the loved one was sent to prison because they carried out the wish of their partner and helped assist in their death. It's wrong.

If it's what the patient has requested and put into writing, it should be done at a hospital or clinic and only by a licensed medical practitioner. This way if something goes wrong, the person handling this decision is capable of assisting.

If it's what the patient has requested and put into writing, it should be done at a hospital or clinic and only by a licensed medical practitioner. This way if something goes wrong, the person handling this decision is capable of assisting.

Very true statement as well, People should not be doing it out of their homes or in privet care. It should be done by a doctor who knows what hes doin.

I am for that. In Germany it has a difficult history and was therefor banned from discussion for a long time, but now it came back. I think, one should be able to make his own way all his life...to the death. If someone suffers so much and hasn't a chance to get better again, and really is sure what he should do, then it should be legal!

I saw a very impressive movie about euthanasia in Dutchland, and what I admired most was the total dignity of the people.

But one thing is sure: every case should be carefully analized before the final step.

If hospitals won't do it then the people feel that is their only option.

I heard a stat somewhere that when peopel jump of bridges to commit suicide, 90% of the ones that survive said they realized they made a mistake before they were even halfway down.

It is never an answer.

I don't care if people do it, but I don't want the same doctor who treats my wounds, have the ability to end someone else life. There should be a separation of the two somehow.

A doctor takes the oath and I think he should stick by that no matter what. Maybe you can have a different kind of doctors who can perform abortions and assisted suicide.

I don't know, sometimes people should just die.

Practically speaking, I don't know how it could be done in a way that would be legal and medically ethical (as it goes against the Hippocratic oath). As well as foolproof, so you know you are following the person's wishes.

Practically speaking, I don't know how it could be done in a way that would be legal and medically ethical (as it goes against the Hippocratic oath). As well as foolproof, so you know you are following the person's wishes.
Change the oath or create a whole new category of euthanasia doctors who swear another oath (as PB said)?

I have no idea what they would do...or what they could do

Palliative Care ! Basically a painless death and yes, I am for it. I think it should be extended to the home whenever possible but certainly it should be an option for everyone. My father left a written will stating that he did not want to be kept alive by machines. His wish was respected. I can honestly say that after that experience, I would have done it for him even if the will wasn't present. No question, it's about dignity but it's also about unnecessary pain and suffering. Screw the religious part of the equation. It's not about you. If anyone can say that watching someone die a horrible death is what their god wants then I'm affraid you've taken things way out of context.

On the other hand, if we've gotten to the stage where we're making those decisions based on a cost factor then I say...screw the hospital administration and the medical system that goes with it

Palliative Care ! Basically a painless death and yes, I am for it. I think it should be extended to the home whenever possible but certainly it should be an option for everyone. My father left a written will stating that he did not want to be kept alive by machines. His wish was respected. I can honestly say that after that experience, I would have done it for him even if the will wasn't present. No question, it's about dignity but it's also about unnecessary pain and suffering. Screw the religious part of the equation. It's not about you. If anyone can say that watching someone die a horrible death is what their god wants then I'm affraid you've taken things way out of context.

On the other hand, if we've gotten to the stage where we're making those decisions based on a cost factor then I say...screw the hospital administration and the medical system that goes with it

Exactly. Hospice and Palliative Care are options easily available to a patient who is at the end of life with a terminal illness. Hospice and Palliative Care services give dying people assistance with pain control, as well as allowing them to be with their family in their home. A much more pleasant environment than dying in a hospital bed.

This is the legal way to go, and preserves a person's dignity. I do not believe there should be some type of "Euthanasia" Clinics or Hospitals that kill people who want to die.

Every adult, regardless of their age, should have a Living Will or Advance Directive (same thing) written up. This will protect your wishes if a time comes that you are unable to make your needs known. Without this, others will eventually decide for you (or keep you alive under circumstances you may have not wished to).

I don't think anyone should have to suffer til they die. I know for a fact that when someone is inevitably going to die in the hospital, the doctors will give them morphine so the patient can be comfortable.

Such as in the case at Memorial Hospital in the aftermath of Katrina.

Thankfully the Doctor and nurses were acquitted.

Exactly. Hospice and Palliative Care are options easily available to a patient who is at the end of life with a terminal illness. Hospice and Palliative Care services give dying people assistance with pain control, as well as allowing them to be with their family in their home. A much more pleasant environment than dying in a hospital bed.

This is the legal way to go, and preserves a person's dignity. I do not believe there should be some type of "Euthanasia" Clinics or Hospitals that kill people who want to die.

Every adult, regardless of their age, should have a Living Will or Advance Directive (same thing) written up. This will protect your wishes if a time comes that you are unable to make your needs known. Without this, others will eventually decide for you (or keep you alive under circumstances you may have not wished to).

You've done a better job of describing how I feel than I have Tangerine. A living will is an absolute must. We were aware that my father's cancer was terminal from the outset and he had time to make a sound decision before all hell broke loose. After his death, the first thing I did was have a living will drawn up. Advancements in medicine may change that will for me but one thing I told myself was that I would not die in pain unnecessarily. My family will not have to suffer either. I'm gratefull my father chose the options that he did. As hard as it was, it could have been much worse on us and him.

I think that it wouldn't go against the Hippocratic oath if the person was going to die no matter what. (think: dying cancer patients who are obviously losing their battle) BUT, even though euthanasia would reduce the pain and suffering of a person who is already dying, I cannot say I'm for human euthanasia.

I must say that hospice is the best way to go. Even though I KNOW that many people just want to die once they're at this point, it's the safest option for all of the health care professionals involved--liability speaking. The nurses and doctors give the patients as much pain medicine as the patient needs to be comfortable, and they are able to spend time at home before it happens.

My boyfriend's step dad passed away at the end of June this year. He was in hospice care and he died at home. One issue I have is that he was so drugged up that many side effects of the pain medicines made it seem that he was not himself. In this manner, the drugs affecting who you are really affects your quality of life--especially when it comes to hallucinations and other opiate-linked side effects.

My family just put our 17-year old dog down. Not that putting an animal down is comparable to putting a human down at all, but I had a tough enough time putting him down, knowing that it was truly for the best.

I can't imagine making that decision because a sick family member isn't going to live much longer.

You've done a better job of describing how I feel than I have Tangerine. A living will is an absolute must. We were aware that my father's cancer was terminal from the outset and he had time to make a sound decision before all hell broke loose. After his death, the first thing I did was have a living will drawn up. Advancements in medicine may change that will for me but one thing I told myself was that I would not die in pain unnecessarily. My family will not have to suffer either. I'm gratefull my father chose the options that he did. As hard as it was, it could have been much worse on us and him.

I kept it simple. I am sorry about your father. Watching someone in that situation is so hard. I have seen it for over 16 years now, so i can relate to the importance of having your wishes in writing. But as for the Euthanasia issue, it is not a necessary step. Palliative/Hospice Care give people the comfort they need to die with dignity and their loved ones by their side.

As Dzldoc mentioned, if a person is in the hospital and dying, as long as they do not want resuscitation measures performed, Doctors may (if circumstances are right) give the patient a Morphine infusion that is titrated to the patient's comfort. This is the kind way to allow a patient who is suffering to die peacefully. This is another reason why you better have a Living Will already prepared.

I kept it simple. I am sorry about your father. Watching someone in that situation is so hard. I have seen it for over 16 years now, so i can relate to the importance of having your wishes in writing. But as for the Euthanasia issue, it is not a necessary step. Palliative/Hospice Care give people the comfort they need to die with dignity and their loved ones by their side.

As Dzldoc mentioned, if a person is in the hospital and dying, as long as they do not want resuscitation measures performed, Doctors may (if circumstances are right) give the patient a Morphine infusion that is titrated to the patient's comfort. This is the kind way to allow a patient who is suffering to die peacefully. This is another reason why you better have a Living Will already prepared.

Exactly. My Mother was in Palliative care for terminal Cancer but the Doctor, ummmm, well let's just say that he gave us proper intruction on how to administer Morphine while my sis and i sat by her side. I specifically asked him how often and he paused and said, "as often as you feel is appropriate".

God bless that Doctor for leaving it in the hands of the people who loved her most. Do we feel that we hastened our Mothers departure? Yes. Do we feel a bit of remorse? No. Her physical torture and our emotional torture were blessedly cut short.

Thanks Doc and R.I.P Mom.

Totally agree with everything you've said.

Exactly. My Mother was in Palliative care for terminal Cancer but the Doctor, ummmm, well let's just say that he gave us proper intruction on how to administer Morphine while my sis and i sat by her side. I specifically asked him how often and he paused and said, "as often as you feel is appropriate".

God bless that Doctor for leaving it in the hands of the people who loved her most. Do we feel that we hastened our Mothers departure? Yes. Do we feel a bit of remorse? No. Her physical torture and our emotional torture were blessedly cut short.

Thanks Doc and R.I.P Mom.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. A big problem for people is the "guilt" they feel over in your words "hastening your mother's departure". It's an act of love and you, and your family, helped her die without pain and suffering. This is just a sad subject and bless everyone who has to go through such sadness.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. A big problem for people is the "guilt" they feel over in your words "hastening your mother's departure". It's an act of love and you, and your family, helped her die without pain and suffering. This is just a sad subject and bless everyone who has to go through such sadness.

Thanks for the kind words.

Nobody should ever feel guilt for helping somebody end pain and suffering. It would be absurd and selfish not to do so.

Archived