SIRIUS Launching Led Zeppelin Station

kiss of fire

FYI, it's now available on XM Online...if everyone already hasn't jumped over to the other side. :)

Thanks for the info. Glad XM has it on. I cancelled last night, but my subscription goes through November 11th. So, when it ends I'll probably resubscribe. My Sirius one is only a trial one, so no cost to me. :slapface::bravo:

The little between song interviews are old. I was hoping something new would happen. And why only 2 months? If this project is moving on without Plant as it seems, why not tease use with some snippets and reports........

The original XM Led was built around the release of Mothership. I am assuming that this station is being built around the LED ZEPPELIN: Definitive Collection CD Box Set release that is coming. A majority of the single-artist based stations that I have seen on XM have all revolved around a new release or project of some sort coming from the artist in question. I can't speak for the Sirius channels as I have heard they may be different.

Of course... there was this little snippet from the channel's description:

Led Zeppelin Radio | Now on XM 39 & Sirius 33

12:00 AM - 12:00 PM

A 24/7 celebration of the music and magic of Led Zeppelin. A handcrafted channel dedicated to everything Led Zeppelin, including studio albums, rare and archival concerts, interviews, and listener interaction. A continuous and mystical radio voyage into the past, present, and future of the mighty Led Zeppelin. Led Zeppelin Radio Now on XM channel 39 & Sirius 33.

Yeah... I know it means nothing, but its fun to point out these little tidbits!

Edited by cabal200

ok so here's my review of this station, after listening to it for about 3 hours a day.

1. very repetitive

Ok yeah so this is unavoidable because it's just one band!

but the problem is that whoever does the programming is replaying the same songs in the same sequence later on in the day

I know there are a limited number of tracks, but they could break it up a little more so my ride to/from work wasn't the same songs!

2. solo stuff only from Robert (that I've heard)

I've heard 6 Plant solo tracks and 0 from Jones or Page.

what gives?

I like Robert Plant, but let's spread it around a little bit eh?

Has anyone heard solo stuff other than Robert?

I have only heard solo Robert material. Everytime I am in my car I hear "In The Evening". Seems they keep playing the same songs in the same rotation. I have heard a few live songs but not from HTWWW. I am not familiar with all of the bootleg versions of each song so I couldn't tell you where and when they were from. The interviews are ones we have all heard before. Nothing new. I enjoy the ones from JPJ alot.

here's a remedy...the iPod.

I got in my car after work and heard the same lineup I listened to on the way to work.

UGH!

So I pulled out a nice bootlrg and it was so much better.

It seems like they can't please the hardcore fan, because most of the stuff is the stuff we've listened to over and over (naturally the studio albums).

For some reason, it seems to me that the station is way more repetative than it was the first go-round... I also listened on the way in to work, and on the way home it was the same songs in the same order. I actually went back to the news...which really isn't a bad thing. :)

Does anyone remember there being more variety last time, or am I having a senior moment?

For some reason, it seems to me that the station is way more repetative than it was the first go-round... I also listened on the way in to work, and on the way home it was the same songs in the same order. I actually went back to the news...which really isn't a bad thing. :)

Does anyone remember there being more variety last time, or am I having a senior moment?

yeah this is exactly what I found.

I've also found the station to be heavily relying on ITTOD and Presence. It's not that I didn't like those albums, it's just that I'd like to touch on some different eras please!

As for how it was last time, I didn't have it last time...

That's probably because the first time around it was something new and fresh. We got excited about it. Now it's the same as before and maybe a bit tired. Mix it up more. Play more live cuts whether it from BBC, HTWWW, TSRTS or others. Solo material from JP and JPJ is also needed. It needs some life! :stereo::zzz:

Edited by SuperDave

That's probably because the first time around it was something new and fresh. We got excited about it. Now it's the same as before and maybe a bit tired. Mix it up more. Play more live cuts whether it from BBC, HTWWW, TSRTS or others. Solo material from JP and JPJ is also needed. It needs some life! :stereo::zzz:

eeeeyah, but I wasn't around for the first time and I still get what he's saying.

They literally play the same songs in the same order on the same day, later in the day.

I definitely agree with the material you suggested.

I'd even like to hear an occasional cover of a Led Zeppelin song. They're never as good, but they can be more fresh.

eeeeyah, but I wasn't around for the first time and I still get what he's saying.

They literally play the same songs in the same order on the same day, later in the day.

I'd even like to hear an occasional cover of a Led Zeppelin song. They're never as good, but they can be more fresh.

Some covers would definitely throw some life into it. Good ones, bad ones, funny ones. All is good, although at times we hears bits of these.

I wish they would let some of the regulars on this forum "drive" it, the programming would be much better. I can think of several that could "fix" it because like everyone else, I am getting bored with the repeats.

Steveajones, Knebby, Ninelives, Evster.....want to go work for XM/Sirius? Warning: one of the people driving and even DJ'ing the Country stations lives in my neighborhood and she claims it doesn't pay that well, so you probably would need to consider it to be public service. :)

I wish they would let some of the regulars on this forum "drive" it, the programming would be much better. I can think of several that could "fix" it because like everyone else, I am getting bored with the repeats.

Steveajones, Knebby, Ninelives, Evster.....want to go work for XM/Sirius? Warning: one of the people driving and even DJ'ing the Country stations lives in my neighborhood and she claims it doesn't pay that well, so you probably would need to consider it to be public service. :)

:Thinking:

Tempting!

It's almost like they have a lack of resources. Someone over at XM/Sirius thinks that they can get away with all the repetitive programming and not have to program more than they think they should have to.

I don't know anything about how this stuff is put together, so maybe it's more rocket science than I seem to think it is.

I could understand maybe if the repeats were during the 12-5am hour or something like that. But morning commute / evening commute repetition is so blatantly obvious!

I currently am mooching off my Aunt's XM/Sirius subscription and I thought about at least subscribing to the internet version. But it ain't gonna happen until I see some improvements.

I think that if everyone here (just this thread even) complains then I'd expect to see something change. We can talk about it all we want but if we all don't let them know, it'll be like screaming in space (if you could breath in space and your lungs didn't collapse in the first place!)

XM/Sirius is kinda dropping the ball on this one. Here's an idea, have a special and play an UNRELEASED live show, from start to finish. Or have a talk show devoted to Zep talk and the new rumors. There's a shitload XM/Sirius could do, will they? Prolly not. It is still a killer channel, and one of 4 i actually listen to.

XM/Sirius is kinda dropping the ball on this one. Here's an idea, have a special and play an UNRELEASED live show, from start to finish. Or have a talk show devoted to Zep talk and the new rumors. There's a shitload XM/Sirius could do, will they? Prolly not. It is still a killer channel, and one of 4 i actually listen to.

Now that would be the smart thing to do. Be creative and mix it up a bit, but who am I to say this. They probably don't think it's worth their while with two months on the air.

Yeah I agree ,night is really bad. However I was surprised to hear Walter's Walk and Skips Song this morning, I've been listening to it a lot and didn't recall hearing those.

Today, much to my delight, they played 2 live songs I hadn't heard before. The problem is that there's no way to tell which show they came from!

Does anyone have any ideas (I'll see if I can describe them to you)

How Many More Times

It sounded really raw and it stuck very close to the album. Robert even threw out the "I've got 10 children of my own..." lines and I'm not sure I've ever heard that part live.

This was obviously early on because it was almost identical to the album, but still really good.

Heartbreaker

Also really close to the album and also very raw sounding. The only difference from the album was the middle part of the guitar solo where Jimmy plays those little riffs (what are they btw?), it gets real quiet and then everyone cheers. (yeah I guess he did those tunes in the middle of a lot of Heartbreakers, just not the studio version)

Not much to go on I know, but maybe some of you can take a crack at it.

Today, much to my delight, they played 2 live songs I hadn't heard before. The problem is that there's no way to tell which show they came from!

Does anyone have any ideas (I'll see if I can describe them to you)

How Many More Times

It sounded really raw and it stuck very close to the album. Robert even threw out the "I've got 10 children of my own..." lines and I'm not sure I've ever heard that part live.

This was obviously early on because it was almost identical to the album, but still really good.

Heartbreaker

Also really close to the album and also very raw sounding. The only difference from the album was the middle part of the guitar solo where Jimmy plays those little riffs (what are they btw?), it gets real quiet and then everyone cheers. (yeah I guess he did those tunes in the middle of a lot of Heartbreakers, just not the studio version)

Not much to go on I know, but maybe some of you can take a crack at it.

My guess is that those two performances are from Southampton, UK back on 1/22/73. They've played songs from this show before. I remember hearing Heartbreaker earlier this year on XM. So it's probably that and they did do HMMT during that show also.