SIRIUS Launching Led Zeppelin Station

kiss of fire

Unfortunately, petitions and lawsuits may not do much- Sirius/XM is on the verge of declaring bankruptcy... Too bad really...

http://www.reuters.com/article/businessNew...=23&sp=true

Of course, this (putting Zep back on) could be a way to keep/entice more listeners too (ie. want more of your favorite band? Sign up for another 12 months!). I know that I am listening less to Sirius now that the Led Zeppelin channel went off the air; even though I have my iPod loaded it was cool to get the random airplay with an occasional rare gem thrown in.

Guess we'll see what happens; I'm just not expecting executives and/or shareholders dealing with a company in this financial position to care a lot about die-hard Zep fans and putting a channel we love back on the air- they probably figure we're not going to save the company one way or the other. That said- I'd sign a petition- not sure about a lawsuit though.

:unsure:

LOL!! :) I agree I have been listening to Sirius less since the Zep channel went off--and the weird thing is when I DO listen I am always flipping around the stations like mad---looking for something that's not there (i.e. the Zep channel! :) ).

Sharon

ok seriously. If anyone has heard any Jimmy Page or John Paul Jones solo material on this station, raise your hand...

Queue the crickets

I really miss that channel....and NO I have never heard any of Page or Jones solo material! Do you think they will ever bring it back on???

I also would love to see them bring back the Zeppelin Channel, but I'm more concerned that Sirius/XM may no longer exist by the end of the year. I would miss it a lot- I haven't listened to FM radio in the car for a long time.

How serious is this? no pun intended...LOL! :) Is it really true or are they just thinking they MIGHT be bankrupt/off the air/etc later this year??? I will freakin' DIE without my Sirius!! :) Hoping they will stay on.....

Sharon

Looks like Sirius may be taken over by Liberty Media source.

LOS ANGELES -- Debt-ridden Sirius XM Radio Inc. is seeking an investment from Liberty Media Corp., which controls Los Angeles-based DirecTV, to fend off an unsolicited takeover bid from satellite entrepreneur Charles Ergen, it was reported Thursday.

The talks have set the stage for a battle between the leading U.S. satellite television providers -- DirecTV and Ergen's Dish Network Corp. -- for control of the country's only satellite radio operator, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Liberty, controlled by billionaire John Malone, emerged as a potential white knight for Sirius after Ergen made an unsolicited offer to take control of Sirius late last year, the Journal reported.

Though the talks between Sirius and Liberty are advanced, a deal remains far from certain, a person familiar with the issue told the newspaper.

Ergen quietly began amassing Sirius debt in the fall. He is now using that debt, including about $175 million in bonds that mature on Feb. 17, as leverage to try to force Sirius into a deal, according to the Journal.

Sirius, which carries a total debt load of about $3.25 billion, is nearly out of cash and likely will be forced into bankruptcy proceedings or a deal with Ergen if it can't secure funds to repay its obligations on Tuesday.

The article is from: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29163641/ or wsj.com: Sirius Talks To Liberty To Fend Off Ergen Effort

Looks like Sirius may be taken over by Liberty Media source.

LOS ANGELES -- Debt-ridden Sirius XM Radio Inc. is seeking an investment from Liberty Media Corp., which controls Los Angeles-based DirecTV, to fend off an unsolicited takeover bid from satellite entrepreneur Charles Ergen, it was reported Thursday.

The talks have set the stage for a battle between the leading U.S. satellite television providers -- DirecTV and Ergen's Dish Network Corp. -- for control of the country's only satellite radio operator, The Wall Street Journal reported.

Liberty, controlled by billionaire John Malone, emerged as a potential white knight for Sirius after Ergen made an unsolicited offer to take control of Sirius late last year, the Journal reported.

Though the talks between Sirius and Liberty are advanced, a deal remains far from certain, a person familiar with the issue told the newspaper.

Ergen quietly began amassing Sirius debt in the fall. He is now using that debt, including about $175 million in bonds that mature on Feb. 17, as leverage to try to force Sirius into a deal, according to the Journal.

Sirius, which carries a total debt load of about $3.25 billion, is nearly out of cash and likely will be forced into bankruptcy proceedings or a deal with Ergen if it can't secure funds to repay its obligations on Tuesday.

The article is from: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29163641/ or wsj.com: Sirius Talks To Liberty To Fend Off Ergen Effort

I guess it looks like either the Dish Network or DirectTV people will be taking them over so hopefully they will be able to continue. I was afraid that nobody was interested in Sirius XM and they would disappear forever.

• 11 years later...
1 hour ago, zeplz71 said:

Resurrecting this thread for the temporary re-launch of the Sirius Led Zeppelin channel.  Apparently you can sign up for a free 30 day trial of SiriusXM.

https://blog.siriusxm.com/led-zeppelin-radio-to-deliver-a-whole-lotta-hits-deep-cuts-commentary-on-siriusxm/

Test-6-v1-1117-1920x1080-1.jpg?w=940

Yep. I posted this yesterday in the Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary thread as I couldn’t find the original Sirius XM thread (searched via key words “Sirius XM”, but it didn’t give me the thread). 

R😎

D2A3AC63-230C-4645-A4E9-2C279801AF2D.jpeg

4B786F7F-4DB4-4BDC-AE73-3A9035E2D3C6.jpeg

Edited by reids

3 hours ago, JohnOsbourne said:

This sounds very cool, I'll definitely check it out, although I assume the probability of any kind of unreleased/live material is zero?

Absolutely. They're under content restrictions. But how awesome would it be to have a station dedicated to boots with some commentary after each track?

On 4/30/2020 at 7:30 AM, zeplz71 said:

Resurrecting this thread for the temporary re-launch of the Sirius Led Zeppelin channel.  Apparently you can sign up for a free 30 day trial of SiriusXM.

https://blog.siriusxm.com/led-zeppelin-radio-to-deliver-a-whole-lotta-hits-deep-cuts-commentary-on-siriusxm/

Test-6-v1-1117-1920x1080-1.jpg?w=940

I'm listening to this now. Mostly standard stuff from the studio albums, an alternate take of Rock and Roll from the expanded editions, and an interview with Jimmy about Black Dog. No rare live stuff yet.

Edited by SteveZ98

It's cool, good for a sustained Zeppelin fix when I don't feel like scrolling through my phone or computer song catalog.  Band commentary between songs is moderately interesting.  Mainly good for revisiting certain songs/versions that might get passed over (e.g. I'd forgotten how good the studio version of Moby Dick is).

46 minutes ago, Walter said:

I heard them play D&C from the ‘71 BBC concert today. So far, thats the only live song I’ve heard. 

They played Ramble On from the O2 concert this morning.  Re. D&C, a good 18+ minutes then?  That's reasonable, I'm hoping they don't have too many time restrictions although I'm guessing allocating a full half hour of airtime to one song would be a bit much to hope for.

I’d forgotten how good of a version that one was. I think ‘71 might be my favorite year for D&C.  Raw and tight still. Plus the bow section was more aggressive that year, IMO.  

Haven’t heard any live bootleg material / unofficial releases yet today. They are playing a wide variety of Led Zeppelin songs (but a few repeats, as mentioned above).

R😎

Finally heard JPJ make some commentary between songs this morning.  And then heard The Rain Song for the third time so far (after hearing The Crunge for a second time).  At least they've played live STH (from HTWWW).

I heard a different studio Whole LottaLove version around 11:30 ish this morning east coast time. Anyone hear it and know where that was from?  Thought maybe companion disc but went back and that’s not it.