Jack Bruce slates Led Zep!

clarksdale

As I said, I like Clapton but this sounds like elevator music to me. More like the kind of jazz you'd hear on one of those horrible "smooth jazz" stations than anything from the Miles or Coltrane school. I still think he's really a blues player, and that's my point about Bruce's comments.

By the way, what do you mean by Clapton's playing "covers more ground"? Between Page's session career and Zeppelin I don't think Clapton has shown nearly as much range in styles personally.

I don't have a problem with smooth jazz, I prefer George Benson and Pat Metheny to more experimental "hard" jazz stuff. Musically I can appreciate the complexity and experimentation of guys like Davis and Coltrane but that relentless horn squawking wears me out in a hurry.

What I meant was EC has done a lot of stylistic jumping around, and he has. But it wasn't meant to be a compliment IMO it's been to his detriment, some of his pop and adult contempory stuff is what I consider horrid. Even though Jimmy has dabbled stylistically he primarily sticks to rock. As a guitarist I appreciate stuff like Reptile but I prefer something like Presence Of The Lord where EC kicks out a rippin' solo. I'm more of an EC the rock guitarist fan than I am a fan of stuff like the acoustic Layla. It happens, I'm not into everything Jimmy did either.

With the exception of Hendrix I can't think of one guitarist where I like everything he's done, likely because it was done over a short period of time with little change.

I don't have a problem with smooth jazz, I prefer George Benson and Pat Metheny to more experimental "hard" jazz stuff. Musically I can appreciate the complexity and experimentation of guys like Davis and Coltrane but that relentless horn squawking wears me out in a hurry.

What I meant was EC has done a lot of stylistic jumping around, and he has. But it wasn't meant to be a compliment IMO it's been to his detriment, some of his pop and adult contempory stuff is what I consider horrid. Even though Jimmy has dabbled stylistically he primarily sticks to rock. As a guitarist I appreciate stuff like Reptile but I prefer something like Presence Of The Lord where EC kicks out a rippin' solo. I'm more of an EC the rock guitarist fan than I am a fan of stuff like the acoustic Layla. It happens, I'm not into everything Jimmy did either.

With the exception of Hendrix I can't think of one guitarist where I like everything he's done, likely because it was done over a short period of time with little change.

Totally agreed on the "Presence of the Lord" era Eric. "Adult contemporary" is the bane of the classic rocker!

Totally agreed on the "Presence of the Lord" era Eric. "Adult contemporary" is the bane of the classic rocker!

Ha, no doubt and yeah that solo on POTL if a ripper. That's likely my favorite EC moment. I think that is part of people's frustration with EC, the guy can bring it but often doesn't. I say flaunt it if you got it. But he has done some questionable stuff that had the hard rock crowd scratching their heads. I'm all for variety but when a guy does something like Cream and goes on to do some of the adult comtempory stuff he's done it's a little confusing. Especially when part of his legend has him supposedly quiting the Yardbirds because they were getting too commercial. Regardless he is a great player, when he wants to be, and he hasn't lost a step. Being able to hold your own with a current hot shit player like Derek Trucks can't be easy and EC tore it up when I last saw him.

Anyone here familiar the album The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions? EC kills it on that one. That's the EC that blows my mind. When he's on he's really on.

Ha, no doubt and yeah that solo on POTL if a ripper. That's likely my favorite EC moment. I think that is part of people's frustration with EC, the guy can bring it but often doesn't. I say flaunt it if you got it. But he has done some questionable stuff that had the hard rock crowd scratching their heads. I'm all for variety but when a guy does something like Cream and goes on to do some of the adult comtempory stuff he's done it's a little confusing. Especially when part of his legend has him supposedly quiting the Yardbirds because they were getting too commercial. Regardless he is a great player, when he wants to be, and he hasn't lost a step. Being able to hold your own with a current hot shit player like Derek Trucks can't be easy and EC tore it up when I last saw him.

Anyone here familiar the album The London Howlin' Wolf Sessions? EC kills it on that one. That's the EC that blows my mind. When he's on he's really on.

I'd love to see a current version of this tour:

I'd love to see a current version of this tour:

I suppose it could happen now that Jimmy appears to be serious about getting out there and doing something. Maybe he'll turn up at the next EC Crossroads Festival. Jeff Beck has been there a few times so not impossible to think he'll be at future events.

I've always enjoyed Cream a great deal, and was especially impressed with the 2005 reunion DVD. I don't suspect I'll be viewing it again anytime soon however. It's sad to see someone show themselves to be as bitter and classless as Jack Bruce did. Even if he loathes Led Zeppelin's music, it isn't necessary to rudely trash professional colleagues. If he had any manners to speak of he would say something nice or not at all. He is obviously resentful and envious of Led Zeppelin. What a pathetic clown. :(

• 8 months later...

CREAM's JACK BRUCE Says He Received Death Threats For LED ZEPPELIN Slur

Jonathan Barnes of East Anglian Daily Times reports: Former CREAM bassist Jack Bruce has revealed how he received "death threats" after daring to criticize rock giants LED ZEPPELIN.

Bruce made headlines across the world in May after describing the band who reunited for a one-off concert in 2007 as "crap."

Speaking to the press at an awards ceremony, Bruce described LED ZEPPELIN's reunion gig at the 02 Arena as "lame" and chided them, "You're crap and you'll never be anything else. CREAM is 10 times the band LED ZEPPELIN is."

Bruce, who lives near the Suffolk-Essex border, said he could not believe the furor his comments caused.

"It was just a bit of fun and it was blown out of all proportion," he said.

"Some LED ZEPPELIN fans were really angry at me and I had a few death threats - they're not likely to find me out here though!

"People like me tend to forget that with YouTube and Twitter, you can't say anything without it getting around the world.

"We always used to have a pop at other bands in the old days and that was all it was. It was like I had spoken out against the QUEEN or something. You obviously can't say anything against LED ZEPPELIN."

Read the entre article from East Anglian Daily Times.

"We always used to have a pop at other bands in the old days and that was all it was. It was like I had spoken out against the QUEEN or something. You obviously can't say anything against LED ZEPPELIN."

Thats right, Beeotch!

I think that Jack Bruce makes a perfectly good point.

If those who consider themselves fans of Led Zeppelin were a little more civilized maybe they would have my sympathy.

But it's just a bunch of dumb, blind egos saying nothing, so who cares?

:coffee:

Archived