Fan Q&A w/ DICK CARRUTHERS

sam_webmaster

Fascinating article. Too bad the sequence didn't turn out the way it was intended--hard to believe dissolves were too expensive!! I'd have had more questions for Dick Carruthers if I'd read this previously.

(This is the ultimate in unnecessary attention to detail, but I think he was impersonating Popeye, not Fred Flintstone. :bagoverhead: )

The Song Remains the Same: Led Zeppelin - 40 Years Gone

Thursday 20 November 7:30 pm

Venue: The Barbour Room, The Sage Gateshead

Tickets: £6

"Archivist and documentary maker Chris Phipps hosts this special event to consider the roots, influences and un-paralleled self-indulgence of four musicians who didn't need singles, live TV or sleeve notes to captivate generations. The event will include a screening of Led Zepellin's legendary concert film 'The Song Remains the Same'."

"Also discussing the myth that is Led Zeppelin (in a pre-recorded interview) is the multi award-winning music director Dick Carruthers..."

--------------------------------------------------------

This event the other night has already concluded, but I wanted to know if anyone here was able to make it? Is Dick's pre-recorded interview available anywhere?

Thanks for posting the article. I have that somewhere but it was good to read it again. Interesting to think about the filming of the fantasy sequences because we are now so technologically advanced that it is a bit hard to imagine how certain things they may have wanted to do that Robert was mentioning, would have been too difficult or expensive.

The Song Remains the Same: Led Zeppelin - 40 Years Gone

Thursday 20 November 7:30 pm

Venue: The Barbour Room, The Sage Gateshead

Tickets: £6

"Archivist and documentary maker Chris Phipps hosts this special event to consider the roots, influences and un-paralleled self-indulgence of four musicians who didn't need singles, live TV or sleeve notes to captivate generations. The event will include a screening of Led Zepellin's legendary concert film 'The Song Remains the Same'."

"Also discussing the myth that is Led Zeppelin (in a pre-recorded interview) is the multi award-winning music director Dick Carruthers..."

--------------------------------------------------------

This event the other night has already concluded, but I wanted to know if anyone here was able to make it? Is Dick's pre-recorded interview available anywhere?

Dick's interview was fascinating - the guy can talk! - and his enthusiasm very endearing, but I don't think there are any plans to make it available. I do plan on trying to paraphrase some anecdotes for this thread when I have time.

Excerpt from 'Tie Dye On The Railway' by Neil Jeffries of Kerrang! (April 1988):

The conversation rolls on as the train hurtles north. We laugh about the portions of his fantasy sequence from 'Rain Song' in 'The Song Remains The Same' now used in he introduction for 'Immigrant Song' "Yeah, isn't that funny?" You've just done it for a giggle? "Oh, sure! Sure, Olive!" he adds, aping Fred Flintstone. "That's the ultimate preposterous hard rock gesture, isn't' tit? That horse - I had to have a box to stand on it. He was a 17 hand block steeplechaser, and so f**kin fast…It was filmed at a place called Dylfe (edit: Dyfed?) in Wales. The horse wouldn't go in the water, I remember."

"Then we were doing this scene at Lake Bala in North Wales where - very environmentally conscious - we sprayed petrol or kerosene onto the lake and set fire to it at sunset, and we had the sword on the beach in silhouette. Look what we did for your magazine! We gave you a license for a lifetime, didn't we? There was me there with the sword, but thinking, If the Wolves don't score a f**kin' goal this Saturday, I'm not going again!"

What powered the boat? Cos there you were up in the front, but it didn't have a sail! "I'm pushing very hard to get the out-takes from 'The Song Remains the Same' put into film form and tied together with some soundtrack. On the out-takes you would see the captain of the boat, with his hat on, keep popping his head up. Cos he's lying down operating the tiller at the back. And I'm just standing there, like your average Black Country guy flying through the water near Aberdovey!

"But that's it! Didn't we create the ultimate rock gesture? There's Pagey crawling up his mountain, Jonesy looking for the wife, Bonzo with his car, and me with my search for truth - and the woman who vanishes at the end. Actually, that was quite neat. We couldn't use a dissolve, I wanted her to turn into china clay and disappear. Film techniques were too expensive. But it wasn't supposed to be, 'I can pull any chick in the world, man,' it was, 'That which is most beautiful and you strive hardest for should always be too far away to get.' Like this career!

"The crazy thing about it is, the sound was never mixed and it sounds so f**kin bad! There's no effect on my voice, some of it's out of tune, but it was just, 'Oh that'll do!" That was one of the most courageous things about Zep - 'F**k the mistakes…" 'Physical Graffiti' has got quite a few errors but we were just going for it."

:lol:

Cool, thank you. Explains a lot.

It certainly sounds a lot better now. B)

Thanks for posting the article. I have that somewhere but it was good to read it again. Interesting to think about the filming of the fantasy sequences because we are now so technologically advanced that it is a bit hard to imagine how certain things they may have wanted to do that Robert was mentioning, would have been too difficult or expensive.

It was four years before "Star Wars," which itself looks cardboard-y and quaint, anymore.

The film's lack of technical sophistication is a lot of it's charm, but also why people tend to, (sorry) laugh at it, I think. It's pretty clear not many of those involved had spent time at UCLA film school... ;)

Before that's read the wrong way - they tried like mad, and of course the music more than makes up for it.

Anyway, people still watch it, don't they? (It does help to get a little stoned first... :D )

I asked at least two questions, and both were graciously responded too. I openly admit I don't know everything, but I do aspire to be the figure on the mountaintop. I must be going now, for the moon is full and I've got some climbing to do.

I haven't poked you in a while. Im heading back to Ramble on.

• 3 years later...

Seeking quotes from Mr. Carruthers concerning the recurring use of 8mm footage in his films. Please post here if found. Thank you.

after attending the Berlin screening that had a Q & A with JPJ and DC, i remember Alan Bangs asking him just about that and Dick said they had decided to

"put a coupla Super 8 cams into the audience, just to see what comes out of it. You know, i just love Super8 and it seemed to fit the bill here, seeing LZ coming from the 70s when Super8 was all over the place. Also I kinda love the grainyness and different color image response and it also gives you a bit of a bootleg vibe".

that is not a quote, but memory... the rest of the filmed interview still has to find a way to come to light here. anyway i really think he was specifically talking about Super 8 and not 8mm films being used for Celebration day.

after attending the Berlin screening that had a Q & A with JPJ and DC, i remember Alan Bangs asking him just about that and Dick said they had decided to

"put a coupla Super 8 cams into the audience, just to see what comes out of it. You know, i just love Super8 and it seemed to fit the bill here, seeing LZ coming from the 70s when Super8 was all over the place. Also I kinda love the grainyness and different color image response and it also gives you a bit of a bootleg vibe".

that is not a quote, but memory... the rest of the filmed interview still has to find a way to come to light here. anyway i really think he was specifically talking about Super 8 and not 8mm films being used for Celebration day.

Yes, Super 8. Well, I found the color image response to be intriguing but aside from that for me the format did not compliment the film or the performance for that matter. IMHO if used more sparingly the stated intent for it's inclusion would have been met better in that it wouldn't have become predictable.

• 6 months later...

Archived