Robert's voice/surgery

ybt8888

I'm glad some of the best Rock vocalist's never had training as a youngster. We'd never have had the belting out like we have, epecially with Robert's voice. Unrestrained, full range, maximizing his stylings were never better than back in the late 60s and early 70s. Better to "die" early, than to "burn out", so to speak.

We probably would have because the energy was there. He could have done it without strain to his vocal chords had he known how. As it was the passion poured out from him and took its toll. And now finally he has come to Alison Krauss for help.

it's a little odd to me that some people think Robert's voice is at it's best now. I mean, please don't get me wrong, i think he is still one of the best singers and his voice is still strong, but in my opinion, his voice sounded best in the 70s and 80s. During the led zep years, his voice was perfect for the type of band and music. Now, i believe his voice is right on for the type of music. When he performed the zep songs with krauss, some sounded great B) some kind of didn't. :huh: on those songs which i didn't enjoy, his vocals just didn't sound good. Although i'm certain he had control the whole time, i personally didn't care for it.

I have listened to New York 2/12/75, Southampton 73 and the o2 gig, all within the last week and I have to say, Robert still sounds great at the o2. Really sings very well. Anytime I listen to those shows through the years that are untouched, so to speak, it makes me realise how well Robert still sings to this day.

We probably would have because the energy was there. He could have done it without strain to his vocal chords had he known how. As it was the passion poured out from him and took its toll. And now finally he has come to Alison Krauss for help.

He did not need any "help" from Alison, musically or vocally. Alison has learned as much from him as he has learned from her. Their collaborative effort is producing some great music.

He did not need any "help" from Alison, musically or vocally. Alison has learned as much from him as he has learned from her. Their collaborative effort is producing some great music.

I think he did. He was straining his voice for years and years. I went to those concerts in the 60s and 70s, so I remember.

I don't think he was relying on AK's vocal range for his project with her, whether his vocal range has changed or not since the 70's. He could have easily picked back-up singers for that. He may have picked her for her background, what aligns with his musical endeavour at present.

I don't mind if he doesnt rock anymore. The innate quality of his voice is still there. His voice just as cool. His work just as original. I mean the common route for former rockers is a 50's revival album, or 60's, or just get plastic surgery and stay rockin for no rhyme or reason - that's easy money. Who would have thought he'd tap into bluegrass, just when everything around is synthesizer or orchestra music. That Robert Plant of the Zep era forever frozen in time. That's what makes it magic. This Robert Plant who branches into different ranges is amazing. It talks of him being an artist not a celebrity. OK he said that AK saved her from bein a cock rock artist. But I think it's meant as a compliment for what he found in that collaboration.

He's one rocker who's still a sight to see bare-chested but the fact that this is not what he wants to be forever is cool. I know he's still hot now as he was when he was Zep.

This voice surgery it's not the apparent reason that he isnt a cock rock artist now.

I think he did. He was straining his voice for years and years. I went to those concerts in the 60s and 70s, so I remember.

He chose to work with her because he wanted to explore a new genre of music and thought she had the voice of an angel. He may have strained his voice in the 60s and 70s but he wasn't working with her in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. His voice is just fine with or without her.

He chose to work with her because he wanted to explore a new genre of music and thought she had the voice of an angel. He may have strained his voice in the 60s and 70s but he wasn't working with her in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. His voice is just fine with or without her.

Yes indeed! :)

The innate quality of his voice is still there. His voice just as cool. His work just as original. I mean the common route for former rockers is a 50's revival album, or 60's, or just get plastic surgery and stay rockin for no rhyme or reason - that's easy money. Who would have thought he'd tap into bluegrass, just when everything around is synthesizer or orchestra music. That Robert Plant of the Zep era forever frozen in time. That's what makes it magic. This Robert Plant who branches into different ranges is amazing. It talks of him being an artist not a celebrity.

Very, very well said. B)

I think that's what's keeping him moving forward..and away from a reoccuring Zeppelin gig.

Basically, Robert Plant couldn't 'sing', he has an untrained voice that he used to scream his way through songs as a youngster, when he got to his mid twenties his voice was damaged and he needed surgery, after that he 'sang' in a lower register, used vocal harmonisers on stage and avoided to some extent screaming.

He probably 'sings' better now than at any other time in his career, if he'd had vocal training as a young man he may have started out differently to what he did.

To call him a singer is an insult to trained vocalists, he used his voice to make a trade mark, that trademark ended in 1974.

Listen to the bootlegs and make your mind up.

Best rock vocalist ever is Ronnie James Dio, wonderfully sounding voice, clearly trained.

You really ought to listen to some of the stuff he cut for CBS records before LZ. They were trying him out to be the next Tom Jones. You can hear it on "66 to Timbuktu." He had quite an ability to sing in many styles. Glad he chose the path he did.

Basically, Robert Plant couldn't 'sing', he has an untrained voice that he used to scream his way through songs as a youngster, when he got to his mid twenties his voice was damaged and he needed surgery, after that he 'sang' in a lower register, used vocal harmonisers on stage and avoided to some extent screaming.

He probably 'sings' better now than at any other time in his career, if he'd had vocal training as a young man he may have started out differently to what he did.

To call him a singer is an insult to trained vocalists, he used his voice to make a trade mark, that trademark ended in 1974.

Listen to the bootlegs and make your mind up.

Best rock vocalist ever is Ronnie James Dio, wonderfully sounding voice, clearly trained.

So Robert can't sing because he wasn't train? Then Jimmy isn't a guitar player because he was never formally trained. John Bonham must suck at drums becasue he taught himself. Janis Joplin, she must be terrible. Grace Slick too. If all these people are so bad why are they famous?

And for you to say we insult people is really out of line. You just said Robert Plant isn't good enough to be called a singer.

Oh yeah, Robert is also not a trademark. Neither is his voice. :rant:

So Robert can't sing because he wasn't train? Then Jimmy isn't a guitar player because he was never formally trained. John Bonham must suck at drums becasue he taught himself. Janis Joplin, she must be terrible. Grace Slick too. If all these people are so bad why are they famous?

And for you to say we insult people is really out of line. You just said Robert Plant isn't good enough to be called a singer.

Hi 'lzfan715'

Just goes to show what training can do for you. I've no formal training in building, carpentry, decorating, plumbing, electrics or plastering, yet I can do all these trades to a good standard. Why? because I have taken notice of people who know how to do it and I have tried out my hand in these trades while working on my home. I now need no one to do these jobs for me. Much like Robert ah?

I've seen hundreds of talented musicians and singers who have never been formaly trained, and all contribute to music. Robert Plant used his voice like Jimmy Page uses his guitar, his voice is an instrument, the best I've heard, ever.

If you want to hear trained voices go to church and listen to a chior, the best are in The Vatican, the only thing is they all wish they could sing like Robert, none can, his unique, a one off, the real deal, whatever.

Ian Gillan of Deep Purple was trained as a singer, he cut his teeth as "Jesus Christ Superstar" and he is awsome. Robert had no training and he is better, so what? you like what you like and fxxk what these so called experts say. I would say that like most of us on here I've heard Roberts voice more than any other, includeing my parents, my wife, and my kids and I would like it to stay that way.

Here's to another year of Roberts voice, may it last forever, a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all, Regards, Danny

Just goes to show what training can do for you. I've no formal training in building, carpentry, decorating, plumbing, electrics or plastering, yet I can do all these trades to a good standard.

Are you Polish :D

Hi Chump,

No not Polish, I use clear warm soapy water to clean the woodwork in my home. :D:D

Chump? :D Merry Xmas Big Dan, is that what your wife calls you :blink:

See you're in greenwich, where the time means more than the rest of the country B)

i think on the later recordings such as in through the out door and even a couple on presence.. his voice is almost completely different but the same at the same time.. plants voice is my fav no matter what it changes to.. i mean the first 6 albums i dont sense a big change.. and most of the songs on presence i hear the early plant.. some no but still great. yes, live his voice would be shot at times but plant wasnt about exact notes he would takes vocal chances sometimes and hed missed occasionally but most times he was right on.. to me plant is plant.. no matter how he chose to sing it sounded great but i must admit i prefer the early plant but old plant is still better than anyone else alive

As much as I love his "early voice", Presence and In Through The Out Door, DAMN, good stuff, and how bout his voice on the first 3 solo albums, and lets not forget The Honeydrippers, I love his "latter voice" Early Days and Later Days, lol, saw the Plant/Krauss tour twice, he is still unbelievable as a vocalist, BUT STILL, Hes Robert Plant, I just turned 39, I dont sing, and my voice has changed, no fooling the 4 times I saw him on the Mighty Rearranger tour, he belted the SHIT out of Whole Lotta Love, NOT like 1973, but, hey, the man, although a GOD and a Legend, he is human. This whole topic boils down to preference, Im glad he wasnt formally trained, it would have ruined all our fun and debates, lol, Ive read interviews where he said he hated his voice until the Physical Graffiti period, go figure!

i am certain, if he had the chance to record the earlier albums again, he would - with less *angry witch* syndrome

but then, maybe the songs wouldnt have worked as well as they did

it's all relative anyway - they are what they are and i love him/them for it

*you may be done with the past, but the past isn't done with you*

I dont think the operation hurt him that much . His voice was a little deeper . But he still had good range . Even if you listen to the live stuff from 79 ! he still could hit many of the notes . I actually think he sounded better slightly deeper

Chump? :D Merry Xmas Big Dan, is that what your wife calls you :blink:

See you're in greenwich, where the time means more than the rest of the country B)

Hi Chimp and a belated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too,

No, my wife calls me to get up, to stop lazing around the house, but never late for dinner, and only Bigdan whan she feels horny. :D

Time in Greenwich Means nothing to me, I only live there, my heart is in the Misty Mountains.

Regards, Danny

Amen!!! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Even with formal training singing rock 'n roll isn't easy, vocal improvising with Zeppelin in full flight would be far beyond other singers reach. Perhaps Plant did stuff his voice up requiring the surgery, but he grew up too. Losing a son and not being there when he died would change any father, his singing style and ability forever altered. The voice is a biological/emotional instrument and much different to 'material' ones.

Archived