RAISING SAND 2

Zepp-4-Life

If it's boring that would be the first clue. Boring leaves the stage quickly.

In this current culture of pop and quick thrills, people can get bored if the artists don't strip most of their clothes within the first 2 minutes of the show...

(I'm sure you didn't mean that, but I just couldn't resist commenting.)

Maybe, but one of my favorite RS songs is Nothin', and it is quite harrowing.

Quite harrowing indeed and also one of my favorites off the album.

If the ideas have a compelling artistic value. Ugly and disturbing for the sake of ugly and disturbing you can get in most alleyways without paying the price of a ticket or CD.

Audiences don't like to cringe, they prefer to be enthralled, fascinated, enraptured, intrigued and so on. Exceptions would be songs like the End by the Doors. As cringeworthy as the song is, it has other elements.

I don't see how you can determine what audiences like or don't like. People go to concerts for a myriad of reasons. You're making a generalisation based on what you feel and that simply is illogical to assume others necessarily feel the same way.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand - I'm looking forward to hearing what their next endeavour will be!

The Mighty Rearranger nothwithstanding, Raising Sand sounds like the logical next step following Dreamland. In other words, it's not all that far removed from Dreamland from a stylistic point of view. I don't expect the new Plant/Krauss collaboration to necessarily sound like a sonic continuation of Raising Sand. Considering what they've done with this project I expect it will continue to break more ground on several fronts.

I don't see how you can determine what audiences like or don't like.

Performers intereact well with an audience or they do not. Those who do so continue to perform. Somehow they understand what the audience likes, either consciously or subconsciously. Audiences enjoy a variety, but generally they dislike boredom.

Performers intereact well with an audience or they do not. Those who do so continue to perform. Somehow they understand what the audience likes, either consciously or subconsciously. Audiences enjoy a variety, but generally they dislike boredom.

Audiences wouldn't likely be at a show if they weren't interested in the artist.

Back to Raising Sand part 2 - Jahfin I do agree that this next album will likely sound different from Raising Sand. Not really Robert's nature to do a repeat of something. I'm curious if they ended up writing any songs together. There was talk of it as a possibility but whether it happened remains to be seen.

Sometimes people bring reluctant friends or family members along. They are the natural critics in the audience pleading with their partners to leave early.

Er, is there a point you're trying to make with all of this? And again, I've brought guests to plenty of shows who ended up loving it. AGAIN I will say you are making generalisations to which I am with.

And how does it relate to the thread topic which is discussing Robert and Alison's next album.

:wacko:

Er, is there a point you're trying to make with all of this? And again, I've brought guests to plenty of shows who ended up loving it. AGAIN I will say you are making generalisations to which I am with.

And how does it relate to the thread topic which is discussing Robert and Alison's next album.

T Bone wanted to take both Robert and Alison out of their normal element musically. I think that's one of the aspects of the record that make it so unique.

Taking artists out of their usual routine is fine, unless it makes the audience cringe.

Sometimes people bring reluctant friends or family members along. They are the natural critics in the audience pleading with their partners to leave early.

"Reluctant friends or family members" sounds harsh and a bit controlling. How about "Uninterested bystanders"?

:wacko:

Many threads go off on tangents, but to maintain context within the argument, subsequent posts can go off topic. However, they do relate to the original topic in that they morphed from it. To take the bickering to another thread (someone suggested a sort of separate rant thread) would THEN take the offtopic posts OUT of the relevant thread. So really, it all washes in the end. If you've been reading, many threads do this, it's not unusual.

CD14149108~Singer-Tom-Jones-in-Lake-Tahoe-Nevada-1993-Posters.jpg

Oh and by the way, Robert Plant makes references to Tom Jones at several of his Led Zeppelin concerts, so you can't accuse me of going TOO FAR offtopic ! :lol:

Yes, conflict does seem to reign around here - unlike the Krauss/Plant collaboration. See, keeping on topic!! :lol:

I do agree with the earlier statement that the next AK/RP disc should show natural growth. They and the band have a tour under their belts, not to mention Robert's knack for keeping things changing. It would be great to see at least one original song, written by them, on it.

Too fraught to find the RS 1 thread, and just wanted to say thanks to R&A for 'Your Long Journey'. It speaks to my present moment, and I really appreciate how very lovely it is.

That's what's so wonderful about music. :)

All the best to you and yours on your journey, Allison.

• 2 weeks later...

Can they complete the followup, have it mixed, mastered, ready with artwork and all by June 21st???

We'll see...

I happened to be in the studio with Toto a couple of years ago when Elliot Scheiner was finishing the mixing of the album. This was at the very end of July while negotiations on the artwork were already under way at the time though there was still some major disagreement on the issue between band and record label.

However, the album was ready for release at the end of September, then followed by a tour in early November.

Some time ago, someone close to Robert and others involved in the RS 2 project indicated that a release was probable to happen in September/October. Based on the circumstances (and the time) the anticipated release date was mentioned, I assume that it was genuine information. Whether the project will be ready for release by then will surely depend on the progress being made now that the pre-recordings are under way and probable projects by the participants might be ahead with regard to recording or touring engagements of the musicians participating in the album.

Touring as a promotion tool could both be done prior to the release (as is often done by artists when playing festivals in order to present parts of the new material, i.e. Toto had then interupted their recording work in order to do a small festival tour in May/June when only 3-4 songs of the album had been finished) or afterwards given the timeline of the promotion plan and the musicians' schedules which might be conflicting at times.

From what I have heard Rounder is already very much engaged in the preparations for the forthcoming promo campaign which will be spearheaded by a newly designed promotion tool with regard to a substantial internet campaign in order to exploit its massive potential for music distribution. :)

Archived