Snobby Jimmy/Robert?

Wolfman

I don't know about Jimmy, but I've never read any account where Robert has dismissed signing something for a fan, or posing for a photo. Usually people say he's quite friendly and accommodating. If they were "dismissive", perhaps they were on their way somewhere or with family etc. Totally legitimate reasons for not being able to stop.

Ebay sells autographed stuff all the time.

I don't know about Jimmy, but I've never read any account where Robert has dismissed signing something for a fan, or posing for a photo.

You haven't? :mellow:;)

Usually people say he's quite friendly and accommodating. If they were "dismissive", perhaps they were on their way somewhere or with family etc. Totally legitimate reasons for not being able to stop.

Ebay sells autographed stuff all the time.

It sure does. Sold stuff there myself.

I can't speak for what they are like now (and, honestly, I wouldn't approach them now) but, back in their heyday, I never thought that any of the Zep guys were snobs. In fact, despite security concerns, I thought the band members were quite approachable and kind to the fans who approached them. I have never been a collector or seeker of autographs but, during their early years, I did ask for (and received) the Zep guys' autographs. I can't remember why I finally got up the courage to do it but I remember every one of them was so kind and gracious about it. More than that (and perhaps because I am remembering the context in which they signed, their interactions, what transpired, etc.), when I look at the autographs now, I see each guy's individual personality coming through. In the past, I have sold many Zep-related collectibles/memorabilia, but because of the contact and interactions and memories (along with the fact that their personalities come through) that are associated with those autographs, I wouldn't part with them for the world.

I can't speak for what they are like now (and, honestly, I wouldn't approach them now) but, back in their heyday, I never thought that any of the Zep guys were snobs. In fact, despite security concerns, I thought the band members were quite approachable and kind to the fans who approached them. I have never been a collector or seeker of autographs but, during their early years, I did ask for (and received) the Zep guys' autographs. I can't remember why I finally got up the courage to do it but I remember every one of them was so kind and gracious about it. More than that (and perhaps because I am remembering the context in which they signed, their interactions, what transpired, etc.), when I look at the autographs now, I see each guy's individual personality coming through. In the past, I have sold many Zep-related collectibles/memorabilia, but because of the contact and interactions and memories (along with the fact that their personalities come through) that are associated with those autographs, I wouldn't part with them for the world.

That's nice. :)

But I just don't get this discussion, really - so it's a duty for them now to sign anything for anybody at any time? :wacko:

And if they don't, they're snobs? :wacko::wacko:

Speaking for myself, my liking of the band is not based on how willing they are to give their autographs to people they don't know, but rather on their music. It's just nice when one hears stories like the one I have just quoted.

Jimmy and Robert don't need to sign scraps of paper or "tag sale" bobbleheads to prove that they are the class of the music world.

40 Years people - 40 years of enduring ups and downs to present a mosaic of music for us to piece together as one great gift. That's enough for me.

Fuck the scraps of shit called autographs, give me a Page riff and a Plant wail and I'm good.

Thank you gents!

Jimmy and Robert don't need to sign scraps of paper or "tag sale" bobbleheads to prove that they are the class of the music world.

40 Years people - 40 years of enduring ups and downs to present a mosaic of music for us to piece together as one great gift. That's enough for me.

Fuck the scraps of shit called autographs, give me a Page riff and a Plant wail and I'm good.

Thank you gents!

+1

and..

seconded. :D

But I DO understand those who have them and keep them for personal momento's. Their personal appearances will forever be ingrained in my memory. That can't be sold, borrowed, stolen or shared the way I feel it. Each of us has a different attachment to the band, unique to it's own.

"Autograph collectors" just collect anybody's autograph, as long as they're famous. I don't blame Jimmy and Robert for being dismissive of them, or Jimmy for being leery of people just wanting to sell his autograph on eBay. Robert has to my knowledge frequently signed autographs (SteveAJones posted a pic of him doing so just the other day), but perhaps he's become a bit leery now too.

I can say with confidence they are all far more accomodating than the article suggests.

However, the "professional autograph hunters" who hound celebrities, musicians, et al

for their signatures solely for the purpose of selling them online had compelled Jimmy to

adopt a "no autographs" stance throughout the Toronto International Film Festival.

If he should tour later this year, I don't doubt he'll be receptive to occasional requests from bonifide fans and devotees. The man is simply far too gracious to do otherwise.

I don't get the whole autograph thing. When I was a teenager I used to get them from bands I met, but then I quickly realized the photo is the most important thing. At least it's visual proof that you met them.

Now that I think about it, that Mark Slaughter autograph I got when I was 15 must be worth a whole lotta money by now. :)

AC/DC Named Best Band For Autograph-Seekers; LED ZEPPELIN Crowned Worst - Dec. 31, 2008

HoundsTV.com, which features the latest in celebrity autograph news and video, has compiled a list of the best and the worst musicians for autographs and meeting fans in Canada in 2008. The best were AC/DC, COLDPLAY and THE GUESS WHO, while the worst were LED ZEPPELIN, BON JOVI and THE EAGLES.

Regarding AC/DC, HoundsTV.com writes: "Perhaps of all tours to hit Canada this year, none was more anticipated by fans and autograph collectors than AC/DC. It had been more than five years since the last time they breezed through Toronto and everybody remembers how fan friendly they were back then. It was good to see things had not changed with AC/DC and they were still the same great guys in 2008. From the time they checked into their downtown Toronto hotel until boarding the bus to play the sold-out stadium gig, to after lunch on Bloor St. the next day, Angus Young, Malcolm Young, Cliff Williams, and Brian Johnson (and yeah, and even the usually tough drummer, Phil Rudd) were signing champs and all round great guys greeting fans and collectors at every turn. AC/DC — the signing champs of 2008. And with a good new album and buzzed about world tour — probably the biggest rock band in the world right now."

On Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (LED ZEPPELIN): "While they were not touring together, founding LED ZEPPELIN members Robert Plant and Jimmy Page arrived in Toronto within weeks of each other during 2008. Plant, on tour with Alison Krauss played a summer show, and Page came to the Toronto Film Festival weeks later to support a film. Page announced on arrival at TIFF regarding autograph requests, 'I'm kinda finished with that,' and stuck to his word. Robert Plant was equally dismissive the few times approached by collectors over the course of the couple of days he was in Toronto. By mutual agreement among many, Page and Plant were the worst rock-god signers to come though during the year. Autograph collectors went home with their LED ZEPPELIN memorabilia unsigned during 2008."

:slapface:

Hey-Up,

I guess that i Agree with the Lads on this one, & many on this topic/post. There was a bloke who wanted an "Autograph" once outside the Home in NY on the 8th Dec 1980, & although I'm not a fan of the Beatles,

"Mr Mark Chapman" got his 15mins of FAME!! & managed to "Take-Out" the only decent member of that Ex-Band. There are more Nutters out there today, more than ever, so I guess that Anyone in the "Spot-light" has to be awear that its not just a Pen that there holding?? May-be if I had been in a que, in the cold, for hours, wanting a slash, thirsty, & hungry, & saw "Sir" Jimmy, Robert CBE, & JP Jones "soon to be awarded" along with young Jason, & I was snubbed, I guess I would be a little Pissed off, but "Hine-Sight" is a Great Thing.....Ask Mr J Lennon, Enough Said.

All the Best,

Hang-man :ph34r:

I thought this was a good thread and time to post this.

Sally Hayward, a Californian Zeppelin fan who used to write a fanzine called "The Rover", is also a graphic artist and talented at reproducing pencil sketches of photographs - many of which she used to include in her fanzine. On a trip to the UK once, I think it was in about 1982/3, she called at Jimmy's home in Windsor to give him some of her drawings. He was out, and she left them with his housekeeper. She returned a few days later to be given this note. She did publish it in an issue of "The Rover" so I'm confident she won't mind it being here. For thse who struggle with his handwriting , look below.

pk445.jpg

pk446.jpg

"Jean if the artist comes back please give her this.

Sally

Congratulations you certainly have a remarkable control over pencil as a media, the likeness of myself and RP could be photographic. Thank you for spareing (sic) your time which I realize on second reflection awarded you a deserved "First Prize". Keep up this stunning draught-manship (sorry not trying to be sexist) and I'm sure brilliant things will keep comeing (sic) through.

God Bless You Sally

Your friend in England

Jimmy"

Real snobby, eh? :)

Sally Hayward, a Californian Zeppelin fan who used to write a fanzine called "The Rover", is also a graphic artist and talented at reproducing pencil sketches of photographs - many of which she used to include in her fanzine. On a trip to the UK once, I think it was in about 1982/3, she called at Jimmy's home in Windsor to give him some of her drawings. He was out, and she left them with his housekeeper. She returned a few days later to be given this note. She did publish it in an issue of "The Rover" so I'm confident she won't mind it being here. For thse who struggle with his handwriting , look below.

pk445.jpg

pk446.jpg

Sally

Congratulations you certainly have a remarkable control over pencil as a media, the likeness of myself and RP could be photographic. Thank you for spareing (sic) your time which I realize on second reflection awarded you a deserved "First Prize". Keep up this stunning draught-manship (sorry not trying to be sexist) and I'm sure brilliant things will keep comeing (sic) through.

God Bless You Sally

Your friend in England

Jimmy"

Hey-Up,

Good one Knebby, I havn't seen that piece for years, if its the one I'm trying to remember!! (my age catching me up? :Thinking: ) .

I guess that if "Sir" Jimmy was never the "Greatest Guitarist to Grace the Planet", He could have been a Doctor, as you cant read what your given, let alone what you get from over the counter !!

Yes you were right, It was a good time to Post this Item.

All the Best,

Hang-man :ph34r:

i may be mistaken but i'm sure ross halfin posted on his site that jimmy was becoming increasingly bothered by autograph hunters of the type who just wanted to collect a signature because he's famous, or to sell on e bay, or the like, rather than "genuine" fans, and that he found this annoying

given the amount of attention he's received since the O2 show i'd think that was a reasonable attitude to adopt

i think there are emough stories on this forum of folk who have easily obtained their autographs to disprove their supposed snobbishness.

many many years ago i wrote to jimmy and he took the time to write back to me. i didnt ask for, nor was i expecting a reply

When i met John Paul Jones at a Guitar show last year, he was only too happy to do a signing and have pictures taken with him. He commented on my led zeppelin t-shirt and he then signed my LP. I said to him hope to see you on tour next year and he replied i hope so. I thanked him for signing it and he was so polite about it. really nice guy. :)

When I saw Plant during his Fate Of Nations tour many years ago,I hung around after the show hoping to get a closer view of Plant and possibly shake his hand.I was a good distance away,but I did witness an affable Robert Plant signing autographs and posing for photos.He didn't seemed to be the least bit bothered.What really stands out,was this young man confined to a wheelchair.Plant stooped down beside the wheelchair,put his arm around the shoulders of this disabled fan,and had a memorable photograph taken.

That's pretty accomodating in my book.

Sally

God Bless You Sally

Your friend in England

Jimmy"

Thanks for sharing this Knebby. It was nice of Jimmy to write that note to Sally about her drawings- as an artist himself I'm sure he appreciated the work she put into them.

I like Jimmy's handwriting too, very unusual.

Archived