What is Jimmy to do?

nirvana

According to Jimmy's latest Interview, he has written new material, been practising hard on his playing, and of course getting ready for 12/10/07 - and beyond.

"Beyond" meaning, if all goes well on the 10th, maybe further Zep dates at various times and places in the New Year.

However, let's suppose that Robert is firm and decides not to continue with any further Zep appearences. He tours with Alison in '08 and then heads back to Strange Sensation or maybe further studio work with T-Bone and Alison. No Zep, no more.

What can Jimmy do? I feel for him. He is ready for new Zep things but w/o Robert - he's sunk.

We all agree that there is no Zep w/o Robert - correct?

What about JPJ? Bluegrass? Jason? Foriegner? nah! After the Zep reunion night - nothing would compare!

But Jimmy - what is he to do?

They are going to do shows past the London show, Plant is not a fool, he is a businessman too as Page is.

The main thing is to film it all and the sales from the DVD's will make them all filthy richer, let's just hope it turns out to be Led Zeppelin and not that Unleaded shit from the No Quarter era get together.

They could have done much better then if they would have got back together at that time.

According to Jimmy's latest Interview, he has written new material, been practising hard on his playing, and of course getting ready for 12/10/07 - and beyond.

"Beyond" meaning, if all goes well on the 10th, maybe further Zep dates at various times and places in the New Year.

However, let's suppose that Robert is firm and decides not to continue with any further Zep appearences. He tours with Alison in '08 and then heads back to Strange Sensation or maybe further studio work with T-Bone and Alison. No Zep, no more.

What can Jimmy do? I feel for him. He is ready for new Zep things but w/o Robert - he's sunk.

We all agree that there is no Zep w/o Robert - correct?

What about JPJ? Bluegrass? Jason? Foriegner? nah! After the Zep reunion night - nothing would compare!

But Jimmy - what is he to do?

i cannot imagine Robert is not agree with that, if it's like that it's a shame, and a terrible tragedy.. Poor Jimmy, what is he gonna do, Nothing... May be a tour in SOLO ... But not like Zep, it wont be ever the same, we've lost a drummer for life circunstances, that's why the band got disolved, but If Plant is Alive, Why wouldn't he continue the Tour???

I NEED HIM TO SAY YES, IT IS NOT THAT FUNNY TO KNOW THAT THE BAND THAT I LOVE THO MOST WOULD NEVER JOIN AGAIN...!!! it is not fare!!! CAUSE WHEN THEY CAME TO CHILE TO PLAY I WAS 7 YEARS OLD...

Ok... IT COULD BE AWESOME IF ROBERT SAYS """"OHHHH, YEEEEAHHHH"

Yeah its definitely NOT Led Zeppelin without Planty.

I think Robert doesn't like to be pushed and hates being told what to do...if we all shut up and stop talking about the tour, I'm sure he'll give Zeppelin another chance. :)

I agree Plant and Page and Jones, and now Bonham junior are Led Zeppelin, anyone else just simply is not going to sound the same.

Yeah...I don't like it when bands tour without their singers...I mean sure Mercury is dead...well its sad to say but when he died Queen died...same goes with The Doors, Alice in Chains...

Joy Division became New Order when Curtis died, and I respect that choice. I feel that touring without the original singer is like a form of disrespect to the singer first of all, its like he's not important, and it feels like he's being taken for granted...If Zeppelin tours as Zeppelin without Plant...Man it would be like Jimmy telling Robert that he's not important. I'd hate that because that's so far from the truth. People often take Robert for granted, especially when talking about his role in Zeppelin and that's also a reason why Robert tried for so long to stay away from the band and to differenciate himself from it. He wants to be (and is) relevant as an 'artist'. So please, all you people mad at him because he's a bit reluctant when it comes to the tour, no matter what he decides, don't hate him for his choice. Understand the guy. Put yourself in his shoes for 2 seconds. Its not an easy place to be.

sorry...the post is a bit long. :unsure:

I haven't read through all the posts, but I assume everyone is in agreement that without Plant there is no Led Zeppelin. Now, I'm also sure that Page would never try to make a Zeppelin tour without Plant, so this is really a moot point.

If Page was to take on new artistic endeavors in the event that this really is the last Zep show, then perhaps it would be a collaboration with another artist like his Coverdale/Page work (although most certainly not with Coverdale again).

Well first off, IMO the magic died some 27 yrs ago. That can never be recaptured. Sure they can tour playing from Zep's catelog,(I mean w/ Plant) but without offering something new and fresh, they IMO will only do harm to Zep's legacy and will probably be mocked as yet another dinosaur reunion act out for one last grasp of the mighty dollar bill. Since they are all wealthy enough to have their kid's kids live a comfortable life, I really don't see the need. W/o Plant, if he were to call anything Led Zeppelin, I'd lose every ounce of respect i have for the man. :( He'd never do that anyway. )

Ever since the mid 80's, I've always wished Page would do some studio production for OTHER bands......ala JPJ. Page might have a lot of new material he wants to work on, but I question just how much of it is really "new". He's known for rehashing long forgotten riffs from his past. (like the Deathwish II soundtrack main theme...clearly heard after the main solo on Communication Breakdown from 24/6/69 on the BBC sessions......or tunes he brought to the Firm taken from the XYZ jam sessions w/ Chris Squire and Alan White...etc.) Overall, I've kind of felt his peak creative output was during a 6-8 yr run during Zep's heyday. Since then, collaborators Paul Rogers, David Coverdale, and Plant have brought as much if not more to the table than Page did. Yes, he always manages to get his name on the credits, but IMO has as much to do with arrangements and such..(his solos can MAKE ordinary songs great)....hence my wish for him to lend his talents where they still shine......in the studio. Imagine some new band having their album produced by Page...with some added guitarwork from the man himself. IMO, this could do more for the current music scene than any new (3/4 of) Led Zeppelin material.....or even a Page solo album(Outrider was a flop IMO..and he sould have toured in support of it in much smaller venues.) Zep's current catelog will ALWAYS overshadow anything they could ever do today. And they will always be compared to their past...and will never be able to live up to it.

Another thing Page could do is to learn from the likes of DGM (Discipline Global Mobile)...the website of King Crimson and recording label of John Paul Jones.....which offers unoffical live high quality(flac.) recordings for download at a reasonable cost. This way only the best quality recordings get out to the masses...the greedy bootleggers get put out of business, the surviving band members can make a nice chunk of change, and the legacy of the REAL Led Zeppelin will forever burn bright. Especially if they put out a new show every 4-6 months.....they could do this for decades and Zep fans would be on the edge of their seats waiting for what release will come next. Plus, I feel there is definitely enough of a demand for actual complete unedited concerts....something Page has yet to release!

As for all the hype of a future Led Zeppelin....in any shape or form......you really need to learn about the importance of Ahmet Ertegun and what he meant to the music scene/business and how he was so highly admired and respected by Zep and everyone else to realize this reunion show is not about Led Zeppelin or the fans. This is Ahmet's night.....let's let him have it! His memory and his mark on modern music as we know it is more than worthy of one last Zep show.

What about a Jimmy Page and Jack White collaboration? Before you laugh, think about it.

Jack can play AND sing, he loves Zep, and has that mysterious quality about him. Could've been Jimmy's lost son for heavens sake!

What about a Jimmy Page and Jack White collaboration? Before you laugh, think about it.

Jack can play AND sing, he loves Zep, and has that mysterious quality about him. Could've been Jimmy's lost son for heavens sake!

(yawn) Jack White would like you to believe he's the "son of" but he ain't. The mystique

is wearing off. I only tune in to ogle Meg.

IMO, Jack is to "punkish" to really meld with Page's talents. If you want something fresh and in the same relm of the White Stripes in terms of rawness and stripped down production.......The Black Keys would fit Page MUCH better than Jack would. IMO, Jack is the Marc Bolin of the millenium. A real talent, but not even close to "legendary" status.

And being an admirer of Zep does not exactly make you "Zep worthy".....as Dave Grohl's Bonham tatoos does'nt exactly make him worthy to play with them (his drumming is not even a good fit!!) Page likes Jacks production values and stripped down riff driven music, but I would'nt ever expect any collaberation. Jack's hot right now, Page is a keen businessman, and he knows when to strike the iron when it's hot....hence the Ross Halfin photo shoot of them together.

It is a shame that Jimmy hasn't done more with his solo career. He just seems really hung up on the ensemble concept, but he has trouble accepting the idea of forming a band with unknowns. So he keeps trying to hitch his wagon with established artists so it's hard to keep it together. He really should have a steady band with lower-profile members who are just great musicians, but not "names".

Page is the richest musician in the world and producer of the world's top music act.

He really does not need to form another band at this point in his life, he is busy enough managing Led Zeppelin.

Also consider the fact that he will never be able to top what he has already done and I think that is one reason Robert wants to make this the final go round.

It is a shame that Jimmy hasn't done more with his solo career. He just seems really hung up on the ensemble concept, but he has trouble accepting the idea of forming a band with unknowns. So he keeps trying to hitch his wagon with established artists so it's hard to keep it together. He really should have a steady band with lower-profile members who are just great musicians, but not "names".

Well said. Let's face it, either Jimmy changes course dramatically or he will sail with the Grey Ships...

I think they are NAMES ...

i agree they're grat musicians, but They are who they are, and nothing will change that.

RegaRds

Plant has had a very successful solo career. Why does he need Zeppelin again? Besides, Zeppelin called it quits after Bonham tragically died.......I don't know all the details behind that but I'm guessing Plant had a lot to do with that decision. He and Bonham afterall were best friends.

So let's assume he's still being loyal to the memory of his lost friend..........and like I said he's moved on with a nice solo career.

Why should he want Zeppelin again?

Regards;

I hope Jimmy Page plays on, with or without Robert. I hope he realizes he has the magick in him, even if it needed the others to manifest in that remarkable way. Doesn't mean there's not more.

He doesn't have to out do himself every time, you know? If I can appreciate Plant singing a hymn with a bluegrass fiddler, I'm sure I'll be happy to listen to Page continue his musical journey. I really love his devotion to Zeppelin, it's along the lines of Pat Bonham never remarrying. People go down different paths, faced with the unfathomable losses they all faced. Still, how fantastic would it be for Jimmy to come out and blow the doors off the current music scene? Or, just make an album people who love music will appreciate?

I hope he works with John Paul, too, they always did have a wonderful vibe between them, musically.

Yeah, we probably should all shut up and just hope Robert wants to sing with Jimmy & JPJ & Jason going forward. No way it would be Zeppelin without him. Strange Sensation isn't Zeppelin with him, for that matter. Why not play with the originators while you can?

Whyever, I'm finding that I'm over it; you can't squeeze blood from a turnip. He should do what he likes and more power to him. I'm just glad I've been around for it all.

I think that not only will Plant want to re-form the band, he won't even stay with Krauss that long. I'm good with that mentality, he wants to do new things. I agree that Page should work with great musicians who are still hungry, no need to work with established ones who are past their prime, like Paul Rodgers. He needs an infusion of enthusiasm and youth.

I also agree about No Quarter, the 1st CD they released of the gig was so pompous. Mainly Zeppelin with strings, that was a tired concept in 94, many bands had done it to their music. Hey, at least people got to see Page play well live on tour. The CD of the 1st show was boring and Page was stiff.

Produce other bands? SURE! He needs to get his finger on the pulse again. His best work came when he was aware of what was happening on the music scene. Alternately, with Coverdale/Page, he was out of the scene and it showed.

He has to get relevant in terms of showing he can still create engaging music. If his next studio venture doesn't pan out, well then I hope he just releases a bunch of Zeppelin (that is to say, when John B. was the drummer. Led Zeppelin). But make no mistake, he needs to put out an engaging cd of music. Show us the artist again! WIC was 10 years ago, stop being a diva! The man's a painter right? I say, he should paint the cover of his next cd. A cd which challenges him, where he works either alone, or with musicians outside the field of classic rock (eg. Rodgers, Jack White, Coverdale). He needs to work with whacky people, from outside the 70's inspired guitar rock vein.

I think that not only will Plant want to re-form the band, he won't even stay with Krauss that long. I'm good with that mentality, he wants to do new things. I agree that Page should work with great musicians who are still hungry, no need to work with established ones who are past their prime, like Paul Rodgers. He needs an infusion of enthusiasm and youth.

I also agree about No Quarter, the 1st CD they released of the gig was so pompous. Mainly Zeppelin with strings, that was a tired concept in 94, many bands had done it to their music. Hey, at least people got to see Page play well live on tour. The CD of the 1st show was boring and Page was stiff.

Produce other bands? SURE! He needs to get his finger on the pulse again. His best work came when he was aware of what was happening on the music scene. Alternately, with Coverdale/Page, he was out of the scene and it showed.

He has to get relevant in terms of showing he can still create engaging music. If his next studio venture doesn't pan out, well then I hope he just releases a bunch of Zeppelin (that is to say, when John B. was the drummer. Led Zeppelin). But make no mistake, he needs to put out an engaging cd of music. Show us the artist again! WIC was 10 years ago, stop being a diva! The man's a painter right? I say, he should paint the cover of his next cd. A cd which challenges him, where he works either alone, or with musicians outside the field of classic rock (eg. Rodgers, Jack White, Coverdale). He needs to work with whacky people, from outside the 70's inspired guitar rock vein.

I disagree with nearly all of this, especially the part about the No Quarter CD, which only featured strings on a few tracks. And the notion that Jimmy is being a diva (even if it were possible for a man to be a diva) . . . :blink:

I disagree with nearly all of this, especially the part about the No Quarter CD, which only featured strings on a few tracks. And the notion that Jimmy is being a diva (even if it were possible for a man to be a diva) . . . :blink:

I know, I was like 'what is a guy diva?' You thought Jimmy played fine on that cd? Listen to the solo from 'Thank You' as an example. It sounds to me like he is gasping for air! Now, the new song 'Wonderful One', well, that was great. I wish they had done a bunch of new songs rather than old ones with strings.

As for the Diva bit, Page used to release a lot more material in a lot less time. Sure he doesn't owe us anything, but he made us wait 5 yrs. after Outrider (great) for C/P (damn near hair metal).

It's good to see an opposing opinion, enlighten me, give me a new view! Thats the fun of this forum. Why do you see things differently?

They are going to do shows past the London show, Plant is not a fool, he is a businessman too as Page is.

The main thing is to film it all and the sales from the DVD's will make them all filthy richer, let's just hope it turns out to be Led Zeppelin and not that Unleaded shit from the No Quarter era get together.

They could have done much better then if they would have got back together at that time.

:coffee:

Archived