Did any LZ members ever want to move to the U.S.?

• 5 weeks later...
I was just wondering since their music took off first in the U.S. Also because of the tax rules in the U.K.

Planty said in an interview (late '70s) how the cream of British rock vocalists were in New York City all at once (Jagger, himself, and McCartney -- I don't think he included Lennon because John was still afraid of leaving the US and not being let back in due to immigration issues/drug bust??) just because of the incredibly rape-your-wallet excess of the British tax codes at the time.

I don't believe they wanted to live in the U.S. The way I see it is that the U.S was 'work' and the UK was 'home'. And no one lives at work.

Robert seems too heavily influenced by Wales and Celtic lore to want to move abroad. And even if he did, I imagine he'd feel disillusioned with it pretty quickly.

Bonzo seemed so down to earth that, I think, he probably didn't consider leaving Britain for the same reason I don't - it's home. And there's no other place like it.

John Paul, I kind of suspected maybe felt the same, or perhaps didn't really get caught up in the furore of America to actually want to leave.

I think, culturally, this is the reason why Jimmy stayed as well. Though he did move for some time, it seemed his interest in architecture and art was at its peak then, and is possibly the reason why he stayed in Britain. And it's not to say the U.S has no culture, because it does, but it's just happens that most of what Jimmy appreciates happens to be in his homeland.

Those are just suggestions. The most rational one I can think of is that they stayed here because it's home.

I don't believe they wanted to live in the U.S. The way I see it is that the U.S was 'work' and the UK was 'home'. And no one lives at work.

Robert seems too heavily influenced by Wales and Celtic lore to want to move abroad. And even if he did, I imagine he'd feel disillusioned with it pretty quickly.

Bonzo seemed so down to earth that, I think, he probably didn't consider leaving Britain for the same reason I don't - it's home. And there's no other place like it.

John Paul, I kind of suspected maybe felt the same, or perhaps didn't really get caught up in the furore of America to actually want to leave.

I think, culturally, this is the reason why Jimmy stayed as well. Though he did move for some time, it seemed his interest in architecture and art was at its peak then, and is possibly the reason why he stayed in Britain. And it's not to say the U.S has no culture, because it does, but it's just happens that most of what Jimmy appreciates happens to be in his homeland.

Those are just suggestions. The most rational one I can think of is that they stayed here because it's home.

I forget where it was (The Tennessean maybe?) but this past summer someone asked Robert if he thought about purchasing property in Nashville and his answer was something to the effect of it's very different visiting and spending time in a place than actually living there. Some of the attraction changes when you are there all the time - paraphrasing here but that was the gist.

Didn't Jimmy have an apartment in Manhattan? I am pretty sure I read an interview and the writer said he was heading there to interview him.

Maybe not a permanent thing, but he was probably in the US plenty in the past to justify getting a home here.

Archived