Jimmy Page & Jack White critise Guitar Hero

Achilles Last Stand

About time we had some good opinions on this game.

I don't really like it personally.

I was once in a guitar shop and overheard a kid saying to the store guy "But it doesn't have the 5 buttons on it!"

Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page and The White Stripes' Jack White have hit out at the popular 'Guitar Hero' video game.

Speaking at a press conference in Los Angeles on Friday (June 19) for 'It Might Get Loud', the forthcoming documentary film that chronicles their musical careers, the two renowned guitarists said they don't believe video games are an ideal way for people to be exposed to music or learn to play instruments.

"It's depressing to have a label come and tell you that ['Guitar Hero'] is how kids are learning about music and experiencing music," White said. He added that although he doesn't try to dictate "which format people should get their music in…if you have to be in a video game to get in front of them, that's a little sad."

Page added that he can't imagine that people are really learning anything significant about playing instruments by playing video games.

"You think of the drum part that John Bonahm did on Led Zeppelin's first track on the first album, 'Good Times Bad Times'," he said. "How many drummers in the world can play that part, let alone on Christmas morning?"

Source: http://www.nme.com/news/the-white-stripes/45521

It probably wasn't his choice. Labels do have a lot of power.

As a policy of courtesy Neversoft/Activision ask both the label and the artist due to the Slipknot debacle a couple years back.

And if it wasn't for Guitar Hero I would never have got interested in Led Zeppelin. I legally own almost their whole discography. And that springboarded me into the entire world of rock and metal music. Now tell me that's a bad thing! If it wasn't for that game three years ago, I'd probably be listening to the Jonas Brothers.

And if it wasn't for Guitar Hero I would never have got interested in Led Zeppelin. I legally own almost their whole discography. And that springboarded me into the entire world of rock and metal music. Now tell me that's a bad thing! If it wasn't for that game three years ago, I'd probably be listening to the Jonas Brothers.

I sure can't argue with that. As far as Page and Guitar Hero is concerned, I'm pretty sure you have to hand over the mastertape recording of the songs for editing purposes,

and I seriously doubt that Jimmy Page is anywhere near allowing that to happen yet,

if ever.

I sure can't argue with that. As far as Page and Guitar Hero is concerned, I'm pretty sure you have to hand over the mastertape recording of the songs for editing purposes,

and I seriously doubt that Jimmy Page is anywhere near allowing that to happen yet,

if ever.

Of course. In most cases I just think the artist is stuck up if they make comments like this, but in this case I understand that Jimmy has a personal attachment to the master tapes and wishes to preserve Led Zeppelin's integrity as much as possible.

I love it. Nothing against anyone having fun but I'm tired of people thinking they are musicicans because they are good at simon says. Yes, they are out there. Pick up a guitar and learn to play. You'll have more fun in the end.

On the other hand, I think a lot of kids are getting turned on to the idea of playing an actual instrument because of the game who otherwise wouldn't have. I'm not a fan of the game, but I've watched kids learning meter and structure by playing it.

Anyone who criticizes it as a means to get to know good music or instruments in general is ignorant.

I have so much more respect, appreciation, and understanding of drumming since trying it on said videos games.

I have discovered many songs/artists through the game as well, pursuing more content from these artists, spreading the word about them, etc.

I believe Page, along with many from his generation, has a negative attitude towards video games in general. I think they also first thought the same about the internet. You know how much music I wouldnt have or have heard of without the internet? I'd probably like more of the crap on mainstream radio with it.

If you think kids are more likely to be exposed to music and instruments by sitting on their ass playing Madden and World of Warcraft I think you are wrong. And face it, most will be playing video games as a main form of entertainment anyway.

Anyone who criticizes it as a means to get to know good music or instruments in general is ignorant.

I have so much more respect, appreciation, and understanding of drumming since trying it on said videos games.

I have discovered many songs/artists through the game as well, pursuing more content from these artists, spreading the word about them, etc.

I believe Page, along with many from his generation, has a negative attitude towards video games in general. I think they also first thought the same about the internet. You know how much music I wouldnt have or have heard of without the internet? I'd probably like more of the crap on mainstream radio with it.

If you think kids are more likely to be exposed to music and instruments by sitting on their ass playing Madden and World of Warcraft I think you are wrong. And face it, most will be playing video games as a main form of entertainment anyway.

EZY there Eric.

:D

As a Music Educator I can see both sides.

On one hand there is a benefit to exposing music to some that would never hear it. I'm certain none of my middle school students would ever listen to the Dead Kennedy's except for Guitar Hero.

On the other hand some people take the game a bit to the extreme. When you're bragging about how you played Through The Fire and Flames on Expert with 95% rating I'm not impressed, rather I'm saddened. I'm sad that the person would find this to be something to be proud of.

If it can be taken as a way to be exposed to new music and maybe develop an appreciation for how difficult it is to play the instruments for real I think all sides could be happy.

On one hand there is a benefit to exposing music to some that would never hear it. I'm certain none of my middle school students would ever listen to the Dead Kennedy's except for Guitar Hero.

On the other hand some people take the game a bit to the extreme. When you're bragging about how you played Through The Fire and Flames on Expert with 95% rating I'm not impressed, rather I'm saddened. I'm sad that the person would find this to be something to be proud of.

If it can be taken as a way to be exposed to new music and maybe develop an appreciation for how difficult it is to play the instruments for real I think all sides could be happy.

I agree. I find that many of the people who play the game for "sport" (I hate using that word when talking about video games) rarely care about the quality of the music, but rather the challenge that comes along with the song. That's why I'm a bit scared for The Beatles: Rock Band.

I'm not a big fan of Guitar Hero. I think thats why Jimmy doesn't want Zep songs on Rock Band and Guitar Hero. I mean, if you wanna play Zep's songs, go and learn to play the guitar! Because your not gonna be 'the next Slash' by playing Welcome To The Jungle on 'expert'.

My major problem with Guitar Hero is that it takes quite a lot of practice and dedication to get any degree of accuracy. Hours and hours, even. If one is willing to dedicate that kind of time to "learning music" via a video game....why not just learn to play the real guitar? It's vastly more rewarding.

My major problem with Guitar Hero is that it takes quite a lot of practice and dedication to get any degree of accuracy. Hours and hours, even. If one is willing to dedicate that kind of time to "learning music" via a video game....why not just learn to play the real guitar? It's vastly more rewarding.

I learnt to play guitar over 30 years ago and yes it can be rewarding but also not everyone is interested in learning to play instruments and the same with video games.

Everyone is entitled to criticise or endorse as they see fit but to put games down and play the "play a real instrument" card is pointless and ridiculous.

My kids and I play video games including Guitar Hero and we all play instruments of some kind.

If you want to play either or both go for it and vise versa.

The issue here is whether the creator of the music is comfortable with and / or willing to allow it to be used in the game.

Whether they do or don't is entirely up to them.

Speaking from the personal experience of sitting down and working out a Bach piece note-by-note (that at first looks like as Page said about session charts "a bunch of crows feet on telephone wire" or something to that effect) and knowing the absolute sheer joy and feeling of accomplishment when you can finally see it coming together after hours and hours of hard work and practice....

....and comparing that to the all of five minutes I spent with my nephew at Christmas when he got Guitar Hero, I personally think it is a total and complete waste of time and energy.

Great that it makes some kids go out and pick up some good classic vinyl but I can gaurantee there are many, many more kids/adults who are fooled into thinking they are some sort of "musician" after pushing a bunch of buttons on a video controller.

Take the time and effort that you put into Guitar Hero and get yourself a guitar...a real one with strings....begin building up your calluses like a *real* man/woman (ah, Nancy Wilson I love you) and I will bet my bottom dollar if you stick with it, years from now you'll be glad you did. Trust me.

;)

Speaking from the personal experience of sitting down and working out a Bach piece note-by-note (that at first looks like as Page said about session charts "a bunch of crows feet on telephone wire" or something to that effect) and knowing the absolute sheer joy and feeling of accomplishment when you can finally see it coming together after hours and hours of hard work and practice....

....and comparing that to the all of five minutes I spent with my nephew at Christmas when he got Guitar Hero, I personally think it is a total and complete waste of time and energy.

Great that it makes some kids go out and pick up some good classic vinyl but I can gaurantee there are many, many more kids/adults who are fooled into thinking they are some sort of "musician" after pushing a bunch of buttons on a video controller.

Take the time and effort that you put into Guitar Hero and get yourself a guitar...a real one with strings....begin building up your calluses like a *real* man/woman (ah, Nancy Wilson I love you) and I will bet my bottom dollar if you stick with it, years from now you'll be glad you did. Trust me.

;)

Stringy! Where the fuck have you been???? :wave:

I personally don't see the point in playing guitar hero, the same can be said about any videogame I guess, but I respect and understand anyone that plays it, I also play videogames and enjoy it since I was a kid.

I understand both sides too, everyone recognizes that it can influence people to play music or discover new/old artists, but some people take an issue because this is accomplished through a videogame rather the conventional way.

Honestly, I don't see why that's a problem.

And when they get a real Dead Kennedy's CD they're like "Whose this crazy guy singing???", Jello didn't want his songs put up in the game but he lost a lawsuit to the other members of the band. Random knowledge.

I personally find guitar hero and other games to be horribly boring. If people want to find good music, they can in 5 minutes. I didn't use a video game to find Jimi Hendrix or Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or the Beatles or the Dead Kennedy's or the Ramones or the Doors or the Who or any of that.

Of course. In most cases I just think the artist is stuck up if they make comments like this, but in this case I understand that Jimmy has a personal attachment to the master tapes and wishes to preserve Led Zeppelin's integrity as much as possible.

Stuck up or misinformed and uneducated about Guitar Hero or video game culture in general?

I don't know much about drumming but I'm guessing that these games are more valuable for drummers than guitarists because the drum kit has a better translattion into how it's actially played. This is of course the fact that the player must strike more than one object to play the game.

The guitar on the other hand, has a fake picking mechanism that translates into only one string, so I don't see much help there in learning music.

But what about technique in guitar hero? When it comes to hitting the notes, you either hit it or you don't. There is nothing in between. Striking is reduced to simply hitting the single string at the same time as the screen tells you to, and it doesn't matter how hard you strike or what picking method you use...so that doesn't really teach you how to play either.

We need to dispel any myths that this game can teach you anything about playing an instrument. It doesn't come close!

With that being said, I'm still I'm a big supporter of Guitar Hero and Rock Band, and the fact that my favorite guitarist is responding to a myth about Guitar Hero tells me he is misinformed and doesn't "get it".

Truth is, it's a video game that draws on Rock culture. It's subscribers include people already familiar with that culture and those who are not. Without Led Zeppelin, I think it's a very incomplete picture of Rock. If it teaches about music, then it's only through revealing these songs to a class of people who wouldn't normally come across it.

I'm not a big fan of Guitar Hero. I think thats why Jimmy doesn't want Zep songs on Rock Band and Guitar Hero. I mean, if you wanna play Zep's songs, go and learn to play the guitar! Because your not gonna be 'the next Slash' by playing Welcome To The Jungle on 'expert'.

If I had a dime for every sentiment like this...

Many people, including myself, play both. The actual guitar is much more rich, but then again, not everyone can play real music, so why not let them enjoy it in another way?

I'll add this to the pile of dimes...

Well let them be fooled! They're not going to hurt anyone but themselves and it sounds like there are some humbling experience on the way.

The idea that people are fooled into thinking they are good at music is really another myth.

Where are these people who think they are good musicians from playing these games? I doubt there is anyone out there who thinks they are a good musician because they can play this game well. Find me someone who actually is...really.

I personally find guitar hero and other games to be horribly boring. If people want to find good music, they can in 5 minutes. I didn't use a video game to find Jimi Hendrix or Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd or the Beatles or the Dead Kennedy's or the Ramones or the Doors or the Who or any of that.

When were you born? How do you obtain music? Were you an adolescent around the time Guitar Hero / Rock Band was released? How did you come upon Led Zeppelin?

Can you, or anyone, concede to the idea that young people experience and discover music in a completely different way than kids even 10 years ago did?

Can you concede further that the less Led Zeppelin is included in the substances of emerging youth, the more it will fade. Hard to believe because all of us here have been highly impressioned by the band, but it's true with any cultural phenomena, including rock bands.

----

If anything, I think Jimmy's comments are more of a slight on capitalism than anything else...but that's speculation.

The game is for fun. That's it!

And when they get a real Dead Kennedy's CD they're like "Whose this crazy guy singing???", Jello didn't want his songs put up in the game but he lost a lawsuit to the other members of the band. Random knowledge.

you dont quite understand

These kids have no idea about Jimi Hendrix or LZ so they cnt "find it in 5 mins"

the games expose the players to these mystical artists who they never, ever heard of

you dont quite understand

These kids have no idea about Jimi Hendrix or LZ so they cnt "find it in 5 mins"

the games expose the players to these mystical artists who they never, ever heard of

I'm only 18 :P

I came across "older" music simply by going back to the roots. I grew up with Nirvana and Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam and Sublime (hearing it on the radio) and was very interested in this rock and roll stuff. I then started trying to find out who these bands got inspiration from, and came across a lot of 80's punk and thrash metal stuff, Dead Kennedys and Metallica and Exodus and stuff like that, then wanted to see their inspirations, and came across Led Zeppelin and all the other golden age groups and now if you hit shuffle on my ipod you'd come across Crossroad Blues by Robert Johnson then Police Truck by the Dead Kennedys then No Quarter by Led Zeppelin, and I appreciate the shit out of music.

In a way, I think that people who are too lazy or don't care enough about the history of music to explore the roots shouldn't be exposed to the great classics in the first place. Music is all around, you hear great songs in commercials, on classic radio stations, in movies, etc. All it requires is a little research. If listening to the top 20 on the radio all the time is good enough for someone, that's great, but if you want to truly feel like you're part of music in general, I think it helps if you research it yourself. I hope that made sense!

I can't doubt the effect of music on my life, it's truly a part of me. I play guitar because of Jimmy Page. I don't think that these video games can really help someone appreciate music, and I surely doubt that people like Jimmy Page and other musicians are just "old and ignorant" when they criticize these games.

i dont really like geetar hero because it is making people say stuff they never had to say before and making people ashamed in ways they didnt feel ashamed before.

example: lets say you really loved the song "cult of personality" even though it was a very "mainstreem" song for Living Color fans you didnt care and still knew it was your favorite because you werent ahamed of that. Well what guitar hero has gone and done is make you ashamed. Before guitar hero you said this "i love cult of personality it is like my favorite song" now you have to say "i love cult of personality it is like my favorite song, but i knew it before it was on guitar hero." I'm not saying this is what everyone says but alot of people have to say this now because they dont want people to say or think "well you only know that song because of guitar hero"

Archived