What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

That's funny, as I was thinking exactly that while listening to the show...how close is Stoke to Magic?

Thankfully far enough away that I never need to venture into Stoke. It's the place to be if you want to bored witless by lots of old pots! :zzz:

I hope you enjoyed the Foo Fighters Strider. :)

Edited by Magic Fills the Air

The Stoke show was my first Zeppelin boot. There was a record store that had bootleg cd's, but being in high school, I didn't have the money for them. The owner offered to record the cd to a tape for me for like $10, if I recall correctly. I didn't get the whole boot, just whatever would fit on a cassette, but it was plenty for me at the time! I still really like that show, a great soundboard.

Listen To This Eddie - Live At The Forum In Inglewood, June 21st, 1977 :)

My name is Strider, veteran of the Badgeholder shows at the Forum, and I approve of this choice of concerts. :thumbsup: By the way, Kiwi, that's me in the crowd screaming his head off...no, not THAT guy. I'm one of the other 18,000 screaming. :lol:

Southampton 22.1.73 great soundboard, allegedly meant to be The Song Remains The Same. Which would mean a whole lot of footage is out there of this show...

Not sure where you heard that but I think you have your stories mixed up. The information I've always received is that the 1973 Southampton concert was originally going to be the concert released in conjunction with the DVD in 2003. Then Page discovered the 1972 Forum and Long Beach multitracks, and that became the HTWWW cd release that was paired with the DVD release.

The Southampton concert occurred long before the band even thought about filming the 1973 tour making The Song Remains the Same, so that story doesn't even make sense from a chronological standpoint.

If I'm wrong, I expect Sam or SAJ will be along shortly to correct me.

Edited by Strider

Dazed and Confused, Seattle 3/21/75

Probably my favourite version of Dazed, to hell with all of the '75 haters. :P

For What It's Worth is too good... Now just to wait for the soundboard to come out which I'm sure exists.

Edited by tom kid

"Newport Jazz Festival1969" July 6, 1969. From the Graf Zeppelin label.

I got this years ago, but for some reason never got around to listening to it until now. So far(I'm on the second track "I Can't Quit You"), it's a fairly decent sounding 1969 show...Jimmy's guitar is very clear, with Plant's vocals more distant in the mix.

Let you know more after I finish listening.

^^^Okay, that was a pretty good Summer of 1969 show...not as great as Texas Pop though. And I wished they would've kept As Long As I Have You in the set longer than they did...I miss it, as well as Jimmy's telecaster tone from the shows earlier in the year.

Robert seems a bit testy, even rude, at times during the Newport Jazz Festival show...frequently telling the crowd to "shut up". It's also amusing to think that Zeppelin were booked to play a "Jazz" festival. The Allman Brothers I could see...even the Grateful Dead or Frank Zappa. But Led Zeppelin was a bit of a stretch. A blues festival yes, but a jazz festival? I don't think so.

But I'm sure the promoters LOVED the extra ticket sales booking Zeppelin delivered.

As for the Graf Zeppelin version of this show, it's the first time I've ever heard the July 6, 1969 Newport show, so I have nothing to compare it to. It seems to be complete, or as near complete as possible...Train, ICQY, D & C, You Shook Me, HMMT, CB, and Long Tall Sally.

The packaging is terrible though...the photos and text are difficult to make out, due to the dark blue and black colour scheme. I had to look really close just to decipher what date and location the show was.

The sticker on the cover says Classic Led Zeppelin Archives Limited Edition Copy Number 0073.

All in all, if you like 1969 Zeppelin, it's a worthwhile concert to add to your collection.

March 16, 1973 Wiener Stadthalle, Vienna, Austria

"A Night at the Opera" 2cd; audience tape on the Electric Magic label.

You really can't go wrong with any Spring 1973 Europan show, in my opinion. This Vienna concert was one of the few from that tour I didn't have until I picked it up yesterday. Pretty decent sound and the performance is killer, as usual...I LOVE these early TSRTSs because Jimmy is playing it so clean and fast on the 12-string. The late-1972 to Spring 1973 TSRTSs are the closest ones to the studio version Jimmy played. I understand why they eliminated "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" but I wish Zep had kept "Dancing Days" for the 73 US tour.

Still on disc one, as Rain Song is last song on disc.

Edited by Strider

March 16, 1973 Wiener Stadthalle, Vienna, Austria

"A Night at the Opera" 2cd; audience tape on the Electric Magic label.

You really can't go wrong with any Spring 1973 Europan show, in my opinion. This Vienna concert was one of the few from that tour I didn't have until I picked it up yesterday. Pretty decent sound and the performance is killer, as usual...I LOVE these early TSRTSs because Jimmy is playing it so clean and fast on the 12-string. The late-1972 to Spring 1973 TSRTSs are the closest ones to the studio version Jimmy played. I understand why they eliminated "Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp" but I wish Zep had kept "Dancing Days" for the 73 US tour.

Still on disc one, as Rain Song is last song on disc.

I recommend you get the Winston Remaster of this great show, which combines the audience and SBD recording.

I recommend you get the Winston Remaster of this great show, which combines the audience and SBD recording.

I'll look for that. After listening to this Vienna show, I still think Offenburg is my favourite of this tour...man, if a good soundboard existed of that show, it would blow people's minds.

Chicago, 7/7/73. First time listening to this show, Plant's voice is pretty weak but Jimmy is on fire! SIBLY is awesome despite Plant's weak vocals. Just about to sit back and listen to Dazed, my favourite part of any '73 show. It reached its peak in '73 imo. It was never better before or after this year for me, apart from maybe the 21-3-75 version which is probably my favourite.

Edited by tom kid

September 2, 1970 Oakland Coliseum, Oakland, CA

"Another Night On Blueberry Hill" 2cd set on Electric Magic label

Yet another concert I finally was able to add to my collection. Just as March 1973 was a blazing month in Led Zeppelin concert history, so too does September 1970 stand out in its greatness. The "Live on Blueberry Hill" LA Forum gig of Sept. 4 and the New York MSG shows on Sept. 19 alone assure this month its place in the annals of Led Zeppelin legend.

Having just finished listening to this two-disc set of the Oakland show that took place just two days prior to the famous "Blueberry Hill" show only confirms how on fire the band was at this time. Led Zeppelin was a muthafucking BEAST in concert by this point. Bonzo and Jones were laying down serious beats and grooves while Jimmy seemed to be pulling riffs out of nowhere on the fly at a million miles-per-hour. While the sound isn't quite as good and clear as the famous LA Forum gig(the Oakland taper seems to have been way up in the rafters), it is far superior than both the 9/19 MSG shows.

Right off the bat, you hear Bill Graham introducing the band. The band slams into "Immigrant Song" and one thing I like about this version is that Plant mirrors the vocals of the studio version closely, meaning that you even get the ooohs echoing at the end of the song that he does on record, which rarely happened in concert.

The first part of the concert could have been paced better, but that doesn't detract from the overall quality of the performances...in particular, this might be the best "Bron-Yr-Aur" I've heard yet. If only the uncouth Oakland hooligans would shut up. And SIBLY is, well, as it always is on this tour...white hot and as close to the album version as Jimmy will get. Plant, of course, is in full flight vocally...the power and sheer range of his screams is frightening to behold; he really pushes it to the point where you fear for his voice. "Thank You" suffers from the tape sounding distorted during Jimmy's solo; why does it always have to be during the solo?!? The same thing happens on the 1970 MSG tape and on the 1972 LA Forum tape...what's maddening is that you can tell Jimmy is really shredding the solo and it just makes you wish you could hear it more clearly.

Disc 2 is simply jaw-dropping in its power: "What Is and What Should Never Be" was always an effective number in concert; remember that Led Zeppelin II was still on the charts and highly popular nearly a year after its release and when these concerts were taking place. I usually fast-forward through "Moby Dick", especially the later years, but in 1970 the audience response to

Bonzo is enough to keep me listening and I am rewarded with one of the better drum solos Bonzo played, and the roar of the audience might be the loudest of the night. Until the Whole Lotta Love extravaganza and the speedy encores that follow wind the audience into an ever increasing fervor.

Whenever I run into some lunkhead Black Sabbath fan who says Zeppelin could never be as heavy as Sabbath, I always play them a "Communication Breakdown" from 1970 and shut them up. This Oakland one might be the best yet...it might even be the FASTEST CB I've heard, especially when after going into "Good Times Bad Times" and the band reenters into the end of CB at hyperspeed. Heavy and FAST...it makes Sabbath's "Paranoid" look limp in comparison.

Oakland is going bonkers by this point, and there's no way they are going to let the band get away with just once encore. Dutifully, the band comes back for three more songs: a short but sweet "Stroll On/Train Kept a Rollin'", followed by the FIRST appearance of the Fats Domino classic "Blueberry Hill", a real pleasure to hear and another trait that set them apart from the other heavy blues-rock bands of the time...Sabbath, Deep Purple and Grand Funk weren't nimble enough to handle old 50's classics to save their life.

The night finishes with a whiplash version of "Long Tall Sally"...seriously, it is THAT FAST!

Man, I have listened to and loved the 9/4/70 "Blueberry Hill" show forever...it was my first bootleg; bought it in 1972. But after hearing this Oakland show, I am going to have to do some serious A>B comparison listening to see if Oakland doesn't top, or at least match that classic Forum concert.

Needless to say, 9/2/70 Oakland is a definite must-have for your collection!!!

Oooops, I almost forgot...since this was a Bill Graham show, and it seems most Bill Graham shows were taped by Wolfgang or somebody, does anybody have any information about a possible soundboard or in-house tape existing of this show?

Next up...it appears that today is the 40th anniversary of the release of Led Zeppelin IV...man, has it been 40 years already? I'm never trusting of what the internet says are the release dates of old albums; record-keeping was still kind of scattershot back then(hell, even the Billboard website can't even get it right half the time). But I guess I'll go along with the CW, and assume it WAS November 8, 1971 that this landmark album was released.

So, I'll have a listen to it now, which I haven't done since March when I was doing my Stairway post.

Edited by Strider