What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

On the 4-28-77 Cleveland tape, in Moby Dick, right before Bonzo goes into the hands part, the taper says "This SUCKS!" haha

Kind of makes you wonder what the audience at Landover were saying? Hehe. I've only heard the soundboards though...you can't hear audience chatter on those.

Kind of makes you wonder what the audience at Landover were saying? Hehe. I've only heard the soundboards though...you can't hear audience chatter on those.

I've only heard bits of the audience tapes for 5/26 and 5/28 but what I remember from all four, the audiences were very into it, especially the first night. The 26th starts off good but over the top fucked it all up.

I've only heard bits of the audience tapes for 5/26 and 5/28 but what I remember from all four, the audiences were very into it, especially the first night. The 26th starts off good but over the top fucked it all up.

The problem with the epic 26 and 28 May '77 drum solos isn't necessarily their length but the fact that they are extremely boring and repetitive. If they were more along the lines of, say, the Fort Worth "Over The Top" -which is only about eight minutes shorter than either of those Landover solos but much is more creative and exciting- then the playing would justify the length. As it is, though, no, there was no reason why Bonham should have carried on for thirty five plus minutes on those shows...unless the Badgeholders backstage were particularly alluring :lol:

Edited by Nutrocker

The problem with the epic 26 and 28 May '77 drum solos isn't necessarily their length but the fact that they are extremely boring and repetitive. If they were more along the lines of, say, the Fort Worth "Over The Top" -which is only about eight minutes shorter than either of those Landover solos but much is more creative and exciting- then the playing would justify the length. As it is, though, no, there was no reason why Bonham should have carried on for thirty five plus minutes on those shows...unless the Badgeholders backstage were particularly alluring :lol:

The band probably had the call girls and blow imported from Capitol Hill.

So nobody shouts "This is boring!" or "Hey asshole, we've had the drum lessons!" during the Landover Moby Dicks? As Spock would say...Fascinating. That's a pretty patient audience for ya...can you imagine what the Dutch would have done?

Listening now to May 22, 1977 Ft. Worth.

Edited by Strider

The band probably had the call girls and blow imported from Capitol Hill.

So nobody shouts "This is boring!" or "Hey asshole, we've had the drum lessons!" during the Landover Moby Dicks? As Spock would say...Fascinating. That's a pretty patient audience for ya...can you imagine what the Dutch would have done?

Listening now to May 22, 1977 Ft. Worth.

I remember how loud and excited the crowds got just before the Moby Dick outro on both nights. My guess is either there were a lot of drummers in the audience or people were excited that the damn things were finally gonna be over.

This is all about the perception of time and how it feels to, the audience, the band and the home listener. Think about the difference between being there in the audience, being backstage and listening to this at home.

The Kid says he hates drum solos not just Bonham's but all drum solos so he's gonna complain no matter what, but most of the audience is cheering and seems to be having a good time, Why? because they are seeing Led Zeppelin. I think its a very small portion of folks who were bored to tears. So, if you're there, 18 to 30 minutes out of the entire time you're there isn't that long perception wise unless you have absolutely no patience at all. Think about how time is flying for the band. For them, being backstage for 18 to 30 minutes would fly by because they want a break but have the impetus to get back out there. Most likely 18 minutes turned out to be too short a break so it turned into 30.

Time flies when you are having fun, So for most of the audience who are having fun its not so bad. Time can really fly when you are very rushed and busy so for the band these breaks probably felt very short. Sitting at home by yourself, time will drag far slower than if you were there.

You also have to take into account the amount of energy it took Bonzo to pull these off every show, boring or not its no easy feet and more appreciation and respect needs to be levied on his behalf. :watchingyou:

How do you reckon Bonham knew when to wrap it up? Do you think the band give him a sign that they were ready to come back out or do you think Bonham just had cart-blanch?

How do you reckon Bonham knew when to wrap it up? Do you think the band give him a sign that they were ready to come back out or do you think Bonham just had cart-blanch?

Other way 'round, I think...I remember reading that when Bonzo had enough -i.e. the end of the tympani section- and went back to regular drum soloing the roadies would cue the rest of the band: "STICKS!!!!", meaning it was time for Page, Plant and Jones to zip their flies and wipe their noses. Nights when Bonham went right from the tymps to the "Moby Dick" outro I'm guessing the rest of the band was standing on the side of the stage already done with their blow and blow jobs :lol:

This is all about the perception of time and how it feels to, the audience, the band and the home listener. Think about the difference between being there in the audience, being backstage and listening to this at home.

The Kid says he hates drum solos not just Bonham's but all drum solos so he's gonna complain no matter what, but most of the audience is cheering and seems to be having a good time, Why? because they are seeing Led Zeppelin. I think its a very small portion of folks who were bored to tears. So, if you're there, 18 to 30 minutes out of the entire time you're there isn't that long perception wise unless you have absolutely no patience at all. Think about how time is flying for the band. For them, being backstage for 18 to 30 minutes would fly by because they want a break but have the impetus to get back out there. Most likely 18 minutes turned out to be too short a break so it turned into 30.

Time flies when you are having fun, So for most of the audience who are having fun its not so bad. Time can really fly when you are very rushed and busy so for the band these breaks probably felt very short. Sitting at home by yourself, time will drag far slower than if you were there.

You also have to take into account the amount of energy it took Bonzo to pull these off every show, boring or not its no easy feet and more appreciation and respect needs to be levied on his behalf. :watchingyou:

As has been discussed before, in 1977 the drum solo/guitar solo was as much necessary as a medical break for Plant as anything else. Plant needed time to rest his leg that he injured in the 1975 crash.

Vancouver 3/20/1975 Snowblind 40th anniversary! Last time Zeppelin performed in Canada.

One of my top 3 shows! Out of all the different performances I've listened to, this show has my overall favorite Rain Song, Kashmir, (30 minute+) Dazed And Confused, and Stairway To Heaven. No Quarter may not be my favorite, it's definitely in my top 3.

I have no idea how this show doesn't get more respect than it does, it seems like nobody has listened to it after the release 2-3 years back, and it's difficult to find on YouTube if it's even on there. Maybe Vancouver 3/19 and Seattle 3/21 over power it to many people, though this is the superior performance IMHO, though the other 2 are just as great in their own ways. I must say Jimmy left the show after Whole Lotta Love, think they got a lookalike to perform Heartbreaker...

Vancouver 3/20/1975 Snowblind 40th anniversary! Last time Zeppelin performed in Canada.

One of my top 3 shows! Out of all the different performances I've listened to, this show has my overall favorite Rain Song, Kashmir, (30 minute+) Dazed And Confused, and Stairway To Heaven. No Quarter may not be my favorite, it's definitely in my top 3.

I have no idea how this show doesn't get more respect than it does, it seems like nobody has listened to it after the release 2-3 years back, and it's difficult to find on YouTube if it's even on there. Maybe Vancouver 3/19 and Seattle 3/21 over power it to many people, though this is the superior performance IMHO, though the other 2 are just as great in their own ways. I must say Jimmy left the show after Whole Lotta Love, think they got a lookalike to perform Heartbreaker...

It's my favorite of all the '75 shows available on soundboard. I think it's an absolutely fantastic show from beginning almost to the end. Very creative playing and a high-energy performance from the band. It is a shame the Jimmy just completely lost it just in time for Heartbreaker though.

I remember how loud and excited the crowds got just before the Moby Dick outro on both nights. My guess is either there were a lot of drummers in the audience or people were excited that the damn things were finally gonna be over.

I'm thinking the cheers were for the drum riser moving toward the front of the stage, and the flashpots and stuff

It's my favorite of all the '75 shows available on soundboard. I think it's an absolutely fantastic show from beginning almost to the end. Very creative playing and a high-energy performance from the band. It is a shame the Jimmy just completely lost it just in time for Heartbreaker though.

Well I'm glad to see some other people know how great it is! I think Jimmy was completely tired of Heartbreaker by then, but who knows they played it quite a few times after but they did not play it at the 02 show. I could see why he would get tired of it, it's an awesome song but that is one solo that can go in any direction. Communication Breakdown or something completely different (for 1975) such as Dancing Days would have been an amazing end for Canada.

Well I'm glad to see some other people know how great it is! I think Jimmy was completely tired of Heartbreaker by then, but who knows they played it quite a few times after but they did not play it at the 02 show. I could see why he would get tired of it, it's an awesome song but that is one solo that can go in any direction. Communication Breakdown or something completely different (for 1975) such as Dancing Days would have been an amazing end for Canada.

I don't think he was tired of it or they wouldn't have played it at all. I don't think there's any Zep songs Jimmy was tired of actually. Some songs besides Heartbreaker and Communication Breakdown would have been welcome. Maybe re-introducing The Wanton Song as an encore could have worked. It's a shame they dropped The Ocean after 1973, considering how often people in the crowd would shout for it.