What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

On 7/13/2019 at 10:51 PM, chef free said:

Just got to the You Shook Me I forgot was in Whole Lotta Love from Sept., 29th, 1971!

:yay:

Everything but the kitchen sink is in that WLL! The greatest ever, IMO. 

On 7/15/2019 at 11:16 AM, paul carruthers said:

Thanks for posting this.  I had not heard this particular compilation/mix before.  That is kick ass!  Celebration Day 1971 - always one of my favorite Zeppelin live moments.

What a difference ten years made. When you saw Jimmy in 1998 it was as if the 1980s never happened. He was in charge of his instrument and his tone and attack in a way he hadn't been since the 1970s. Other than the 2008 O2 one-off, the 1998 Page & Plant tour was the best chance young ones who missed Led Zeppelin had of seeing a close facsimile of a 'Led Zeppelin' concert. So if you passed on seeing this tour, it was your loss. For you won't ever see Page play like this again.

For comparison, after that white-hot Heartbreaker check out this feeble attempt in 1988. It's like night and day.

Live Aid and the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary gigs did more damage to Jimmy Page's reputation than a hundred 1977 Tempe, Arizona gigs. For one thing, millions more people watched Live Aid and Atlantic Records than have heard Tempe '77...or any 1977 bootleg. If Jimmy had played in the 1980s like he did in 1998, the "Jimmy is sloppy" and "Jimmy plays like a three-year old" comments that started popping up in guitar magazines never would have happened.

Edited by Strider

14 hours ago, John M said:

Listen to Jones in The Song Remains the Same.  Four years to the day before the Kingdome show. 

I'm listening to this one as well--definitely one of the best of '73!  Always been one of my favourite versions of "Dazed And Confused"...probably in my top 10.  In the outro, Bonham teases the stop-start stuff he did a few months earlier in Hamburg, but never actually leaves a full rest in there--more like dotted eighth notes, and much harder to imitate!

On 7/17/2019 at 10:40 AM, Strider said:

What a difference ten years made. When you saw Jimmy in 1998 it was as if the 1980s never happened. He was in charge of his instrument and his tone and attack in a way he hadn't been since the 1970s. Other than the 2008 O2 one-off, the 1998 Page & Plant tour was the best chance young ones who missed Led Zeppelin had of seeing a close facsimile of a 'Led Zeppelin' concert. So if you passed on seeing this tour, it was your loss. For you won't ever see Page play like this again.

For comparison, after that white-hot Heartbreaker check out this feeble attempt in 1988. It's like night and day.

Live Aid and the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary gigs did more damage to Jimmy Page's reputation than a hundred 1977 Tempe, Arizona gigs. For one thing, millions more people watched Live Aid and Atlantic Records than have heard Tempe '77...or any 1977 bootleg. If Jimmy had played in the 1980s like he did in 1998, the "Jimmy is sloppy" and "Jimmy plays like a three-year old" comments that started popping up in guitar magazines never would have happened.

Saw them twice and walking to Clark dale the song live is Amazing!!!

4 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Best show of 1973 in my opinion, and the best of the short "No Quarter"'s...46 years ago today!

Absolute corker. Boston and Providence are the best consecutive gigs of the 1973 U.S. tour. I always felt like the first leg was still under development. Jimmy hadn't quite developed the solos in "Celebration Day" and "No Quarter" to their full potential.