What show or live song are you listening to now?

Misfit

In My Time Of Dying 6.7.77

One of my top 2 or 3 favorite performances of this song.

This is one of the few songs I prefer in its '77 incarnation compared to its '75 incarnation. I'd say the '75 performances were more consistent, especially Jimmy. But Plant's voice - and confidence - are so much better in '77. So as long as Jimmy is having a decent night, the '77 version is tops IMHO.

The day's work is done, met Kirk Douglas and now it's time to cap Sept. 19 with one of the great Led Zeppelin shows of all-time.

September 19, 1970 Madison Square Garden NY...the Evening concert.

The afternoon concert, as good as it was, was just a warm-up compared to the evening show. If this show existed in an audience tape comparable to the quality of the 9.14.71 tape(or there was a soundboard), it would easily be ranked among the best and most essential Led Zeppelin concerts ever.

As it is, even with the uneven quality of the only available tape(understandable considering it was languishing at the bottom of a closet for more than 30 years), it is still an essential bootleg for any Led Zeppelin collector.

If you want to have any understanding of the crowd frenzy that Led Zeppelin was causing post-"Whole Lotta Love" and supplanting the Beatles in 1970 and the sheer concussive power and delirium their sound was unleashing on unsuspecting audiences, this show is a good place to start.

It ranks in my personal Top 10 Best Led Zeppelin concerts.

Edited as the concert is coming to a close.

I am on Disc 2 and the band is pulling out crazy encores. You can always tell when Led Zeppelin felt good about a show; they would pull out rare gems for the encores. Think about 9.4.70, Seattle and LA in 1972, Southampton 1973.

9.19.70 has the best "Out On the Tiles" ever...better than the 9.4.70. It also has a fine "Blueberry Hill", "Communication Breakdown w/ Gallows Pole".

You also get two epic medleys for the price of one: Whole Lotta Love and How Many More Times!!!

But the real treat for me is the "The Girl Can't Help It/20 Flight Rock" pairing. Absolutely scorching...especially on the Little Richard tune.

Edited by Strider

The day's work is done, met Kirk Douglas and now it's time to cap Sept. 19 with one of the great Led Zeppelin shows of all-time.

September 19, 1970 Madison Square Garden NY...the Evening concert.

The afternoon concert, as good as it was, was just a warm-up compared to the evening show. If this show existed in an audience tape comparable to the quality of the 9.14.71 tape(or there was a soundboard), it would easily be ranked among the best and most essential Led Zeppelin concerts ever.

As it is, even with the uneven quality of the only available tape(understandable considering it was languishing at the bottom of a closet for more than 30 years), it is still an essential bootleg for any Led Zeppelin collector.

If you want to have any understanding of the crowd frenzy that Led Zeppelin was causing post-"Whole Lotta Love" and supplanting the Beatles in 1970 and the sheer concussive power and delirium their sound was unleashing on unsuspecting audiences, this show is a good place to start.

It ranks in my personal Top 10 Best Led Zeppelin concerts.

Edited as the concert is coming to a close.

I am on Disc 2 and the band is pulling out crazy encores. You can always tell when Led Zeppelin felt good about a show; they would pull out rare gems for the encores. Think about 9.4.70, Seattle and LA in 1972, Southampton 1973.

9.19.70 has the best "Out On the Tiles" ever...better than the 9.4.70. It also has a fine "Blueberry Hill", "Communication Breakdown w/ Gallows Pole".

You also get two epic medleys for the price of one: Whole Lotta Love and How Many More Times!!!

But the real treat for me is the "The Girl Can't Help It/20 Flight Rock" pairing. Absolutely scorching...especially on the Little Richard tune.

Strider. How did you get to meet Kirt Douglas?

^^^

Well, I don't want to derail the thread so I'll be brief: we co-hosted a book signing event with the American Cinematheque Wednesday night for Kirk's new book "I Am Spartacus", followed by a Q & A and screening of "Lonely Are the Brave".

I'll post more about it in the suitable movie thread.

September 23, 1971 Budokan, Tokyo, Japan.

Nineteen hundred and seventy-one was the year Led Zeppelin was SLAYING dragons left and right. Jimmy was at the peak of his bearded powers. From the UK 'Return to the Clubs' tour on to Europe and then the amazing Summer US tour, 1971 was a year in which the band was expanding on their reputation for wild, powerful and improvisational shows. To top it off, along with a solid three albums worth of material to cull their setlist from, the band had the added confidence to insert the freshly minted songs that would soon appear on Led Zeppelin IV.

By August-September of 71, the Led Zeppelin concerts routinely pile-drive the listener with their force...and Plant's voice leads the way. Some of his vocal performances in 1971 are phenomenal. Just listen to any '71 boot like 8-31 or 9-14. You can tell Jimmy is feeling frisky, too...constantly riffing between songs or trying different approaches to his solos. As for Jones and Bonham...they simply are a well-oiled rhythm juggernaut by this point in the band's touring life. Listen to them pummel you senseless during "Celebration Day".

So, on to the first concert of the Japanese tour...41 years to the day. I have just started and so am only a few songs in; after a lengthy introduction the band blasts into "Immigrant Song". Jimmy must have broken a string as instead of immediately going into "Heartbreaker", the band pauses as Jimmy fixes whatever was the problem.

"Since I've Been Loving You" is playing now and as per the 1971 norm, it's perfect.

To be continued...

Edited by Strider