Does JPJ hate ITTOD?

mrledhed

Seems he never played any tracks from that LP since 1980. And oddly no tracks were played at the O2.

I've never heard anything about him hating this album. It was actually he and Robert who did most of the work on this album and made it a reality. Jimmy didn't have as much of a part in this as he usually does as he was physically not as well as usual. Doesn't have a JP feel to it as the previous albums did. Definitely can feel JPJ's influence on this one.

I've never heard anything about him hating this album. It was actually he and Robert who did most of the work on this album and made it a reality. Jimmy didn't have as much of a part in this as he usually does as he was physically not as well as usual. Doesn't have a JP feel to it as the previous albums did. Definitely can feel JPJ's influence on this one.

I happen to agree with this post. I have read almost everything there is to know about Led Zeppelin and have never read anything, anywhere about John Paul Jones "hating" "In Through the Out Door". Quite the contrary.

On page 217 of Led Zeppelin: the Definitive Biograpghy, 1993, by Ritchie Yorke there is a quote from Jonesy himself that states, "I suppose you could say that In Throught the Out Door is my album, the way Presence was Jimmy's album. Looking back on it now, it's one of my favorites from the band. It's quite a keyboard-driven album as well. That, of course, may have simply been coming around at the time, a different emphasis". This quote from John Paul Jones was said back in 1991.

I also read somewhere that Led Zeppelin were rehearsing and planning on playing "Carouselambra" on the 1980 North American tour dubbed, Led Zeppelin, the Eighties, Part One.

Has he ever played Zep songs, other than in the context of a Zeppelin reunion?

As for the 02 show, from what I have read and heard, the set list was a collective group decision.

Like Strider said, there doesn't seem to be any basis for this discussion.

Exactly. ITTOD was JPJ's baby. I think Jimmy was the one who didn't favor the album because it wasn't rockin' enough for him. But that was his own stupid fault.angry.gif

Yes. In addition to his solo shows he's also performed Zeppelin songs when sitting in with other artists whether it be Merlefest, Bonnaroo or other festivals.

Agreed. Since Zeppelin broke up he's done some Zeppelin songs but I'm sure he's had an eye more towards his solo material. I seriously doubt what Zeppelin albums he's drawn from even figure into his decisions to play those songs.

Is there an interview in which he says he hasn't played tracks from the album since 1980?

I agree he doesn't hate the album, but to my knowledge, he's never played anything live off that album post Zep. I saw both his solo tours, and he didn't play anything off ITTOD.

I was sure hoping for an instrumental Carouselambra for either '99 and '01 tour when I saw him live. I think I read somewhere though that Dave Lewis of Tight But Loose fame interviewed JPJ during both tours/album releases, and asked him about possibly putting together an arrangement of Carouselambra for his tour (can't remember which of the two tours), and JPJ said it would be complicated to put an arrangement together for the live show, or something to that effect.

I don't know why you quoted me there or what you're agreeing with, I was just asking a question to see if there was a particular reason for the the original post. (Though it does make a change for someone to agree with me on this forum!)

• 3 weeks later...

Seems he never played any tracks from that LP since 1980. And oddly no tracks were played at the O2.

Like everyone else has said, and if memory serves me correctly, Jimmy was the one who wasn't really fond of the final product on ITTOD. JPJ did a lot of the work on it. So I would say no to your original question.

I also found it very interesting that they didn't play a single song from ITTOD at the O2 show. I thought at least "In The Evening" would make it on to the set list. I guess it says a lot about the overall thoughts on that album. Not just by the fans, but also, maybe the band members as well.

Robert Plant has stated in the past that ITTOD was not a proper LZ record for a myriad of reasons and John Bonham never commented publicly about his feelings for it other than Jimmy speaking for him post-mortem that they both wanted future musical endeavors to be more hard hitting.

As for the 02 show, from what I have read and heard, the set list was a collective group decision.

Taking a couple of shows just as examples Las vegas 1999 the set list included No quarter, Trampled underfoot, Black dog and when the levee breaks

New Orleans 2000 the set included no quarter, going to california, nobody's fault but mine trampled underfoot & when the levee breaks.

So Zep has featured in his shows. If someone can find anything off ITTOD then that would assist the discussion.

1st set:
  1. Zooma
  2. Goose
  3. Grind
  4. The Smile of Your Shadow
  5. Nosumi Blues
  6. No Quarter
  7. Spaghetti Junktion
  8. That's The Way
  9. Going To California
  10. Steel Away
  11. Snake Eyes
  12. Nobody's Fault But Mine

2nd set:

1. Triple-neck Acoustic Solo
  2. Crack Back
  3. Bass N' Drums(Heartbreaker / D&C)
  4. B. Fingers
  5. Jump Blues
  6. When The Levee Breaks
  7. Tidal

Encore:

1. Trampled Underfoot
  2. Black Dog

setlist.fm/setlist/john-paul-jones/2000/house-of-blues-lake-buena-vista-fl

Robert Plant has stated in the past that ITTOD was not a proper LZ record for a myriad of reasons and John Bonham never commented publicly about his feelings for it other than Jimmy speaking for him post-mortem that they both wanted future musical endeavors to be more hard hitting.

Interesting. I've only heard Robert defend it.. saying how it "unfashionably sold 10 million copies".

I remember reading that John Bonham felt that "All My Love" had Robert's greatest vocal performance.

I think Jimmy had said that it was a transitional album... which makes sense.

----

When JPJ was doing his solo tours, he was into his 8 10 12 & 50 String Basses, his Bass Lap Steel and Electric Mandolins KYMA ETC... During ITTOD, he was very into his new state of the art Yamaha Synth.

He was way more into stringed instruments than keys at the time of his solo tours.

If he had toured for Scream For Help in 1985, I think he would have been doing stuff from Outdoor.

ledded1 - I saw both solo tours. He played nothing from ITTOD. The Zooma Tour only had 2 keyboard driven songs, No Quarter and Trampled Underfoot.. I don't remember anything Keyboard driven on the Thundertheif Tour...

Thats something that I would love to have JPJ discuss, ITTOD. I'd love to know how Caroulselambra came to be and if he wishes to start playing these songs at some point in the future.

If you read my post (#5) of this topic you may get a sort of an idea of how JPJ felt about In Through the Out Door.

Not a discussion from him but a quote from him that is documented. I cannot say how this great song came to be, but, like I said, I have read that this was one song from ITTOD that was being considered for inclusion on their "Led Zeppelin, the Eighties, Part One" tour that obviously did not happen.

Me either. It's worth noting that this thread was started by someone who's never returned to actually participate in it.

Well now I'm back.

I never said he hated the album, I just don't know of another reason he won't play those songs live AT ALL. IMHO the album is just as good as the others but he himself might not think that (hence my question).

In those solo set lists posted earlier, I never saw anything from Zep I or II. So does that mean he "hates" those as well? I believe the explanation of instruments used is the best evidence of why the set list was what it was. As for the O2 set list, again it was a band choice and the show was supposed to be 2 hours long. Choices had to be made and an hour of it was pre-decided by songs that had to be played. So, again, don't think there is any evidence to this. I would also like to hear JPJ speak about ITTOD in further detail, since he had such a major influence on it.

The reasons Jonesy may have not played music off LZ I or II wouldn't even be the same reasons as ITTOD. I & II are light years better than ITTOD. When I saw JPJ, he did some bass stuff very reminicent of The Lemon Song on bass. His styling was much closer to the early Zep than the latter.

Archived