BON APPÉTIT! What Are You Eating?

Strider

Tried this new Indian place down the street. Had chicken tikka and curry. Not bad for the price, but could have been spicier. With three tall glasses of water.

attachicon.gifIMG_20130815_180123.jpg

Curry??? What do you mean man? Did it have a name or anything. Curry is a generic word (although a word you rarely see in India). They use that word for Gravy and generally in the sub continent Masalas and dhals are the norm. India is such a diverse country for food. It's funny really because your picture shows Indian food in a western nutshell. Breads are used mainly in the north where as Rice is used far more in the south.

^^^

Lamb curry...in my haste I dropped a word. Naan frequently comes with your food at Los Angeles Indian restaurants...even with basmati rice. Garlic naan is my favourite. Yes, it's a bit of a mish-mash of various regional cuisines. But that's how international cuisines flourish and grow; they adapt.

That's how the Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Indian, Malaysian, Ethiopian, Russian, Greek, Korean, and many more have established themselves in Southern California against the tried-and-true French and Italian behomeths.

Thanks for that big man. In Manchester, a city blessed with Sub Continent eateries, if you look hard enough there are real Indian places that just do 2 " Curries". Generally a veg and non veg. Served with rice or bread for little more than a fiver. So basic it reminds me of the places I ate in India. One of which was in Calcutta. A bowl of very tasty Dhal ( don't laugh please) and endless chapattis for a few Rupees. The breads in fact were free and they used to Frisbee one at you as and when you had finished them.

On the menu this evening:

Thai nibbles for starters

Crispy Duck - Peking Styleee. Pancakes, Hoisin Sauce, Spring Onions, Cucumber.

Coconut and King Prawn Thai Soup

Chocolate Truffles

A Cheese Board: Garlic Lancashire, Soft Local Goats Cheese, Lancashire Blue. A sweet wine from France.

An Aussie Shiraz for Me and an Aussie Chardonnay for Mrs CP.

Some of my Green for merriment.

Used some of my farmers market haul for dinner last night:

Green Zebra Stripe Tomatoes, sliced with a pinch of sea salt and a dab of Sriracha hot sauce on each wedge.

Miso-glazed salmon, hummus, grilled zucchini, carrots, and asparagus with garlic and a splash of sake just for the hell of it.

Fresh figs and dates with goat cheese for dessert.

Johannesburg Riesling wine.

Breakfast this morning was berries: blueberries and raspberries.

Chilled corn soup

Meatloaf over roasted potato salad, eggplant, okra and peppers, and corn on the cob.

Nectarine sorbet (on a plate wishing me happy birthday...it was lovely, but since my computer is toast, you'll have to wait for the picture).

There was also wine. I know everyone is shocked... :D

Just started reading Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals". This book came out years ago and I don't know why I never got around to reading it before, especially since I enjoyed Pollan's "The Botany of Desire"...just slipped my mind, I guess.

Not that I wasn't already aware of how fucked up America's food supply and eating habits are, thanks to other books and documentaries on the subject, but this book does a good job of illustrating exactly how the food on your plate gets there, and the almost complete infiltration of corn and corn by-products into just about EVERYTHING! It also looks at the reality of "free-range" or "cage-free" chicken and the entire "organic" food movement. You'll never look at a supermarket the same way after reading this book.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/omnivores-dilemma-michael-pollan/1007681301?ean=9781594200823

9781594200823_p0_v4_s260x420.JPG

As Alice Waters says: "PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT YOU EAT!"