What Made You Happy today?

Hotplant

^^^

Good for you. Although if it is as scratched up as you say, your mum must be a Major Major Zephead! :P

And so do I, after reading that. A magnificently evocative piece of writing, Strider.

I haven't made it to the beach for a couple of years now, but this has stiffened my resolve to do so this year, before the dying embers of our desultory summer are finally put out of their misery.

That was a great piece of writing, Strider.

I don't know if I can make it to the beach anytime soon, but maybe I can find my own "pier" and chill out for several hours and rejunenate.

I could use a good healthy dose of that.

What a beautiful piece, Strider. I feel better just reading it.

Nice Strider.....I should to camping at the beach. It's been awhile since I've spent some time on the coast.

Thanks one and all. I sort of got carried away and didn't realize until after I posted how long I had rambled on.

But, yes, to those of you thinking about it: get to a beach as soon as you can. And leave the gadgets behind...cellphones, laptops, ipads, ipods, etc.

It is a marvelous feeling being untethered from the modern world.

I had forgotten what it truly felt to be "happy". Sure I'm happy at concerts or at family birthday parties or when the Lakers or Kings or one of my other favourite teams win a championship. Those are tangible events that do make me feel good and happy.

But the happiness I felt the other day was different altogether. It wasn't related to any material gains, money, consumption, other people, nothing tied to today's society.

It was a happiness borne from completely within, a state of being I had entered simply by placing myself among the natural world in its natural state.

I guess you could call it a natural high.

^^^

Good for you. Although if it is as scratched up as you say, your mum must be a Major Major Zephead! :P

Thanks one and all. I sort of got carried away and didn't realize until after I posted how long I had rambled on.

But, yes, to those of you thinking about it: get to a beach as soon as you can. And leave the gadgets behind...cellphones, laptops, ipads, ipods, etc.

It is a marvelous feeling being untethered from the modern world.

I had forgotten what it truly felt to be "happy". Sure I'm happy at concerts or at family birthday parties or when the Lakers or Kings or one of my other favourite teams win a championship. Those are tangible events that do make me feel good and happy.

But the happiness I felt the other day was different altogether. It wasn't related to any material gains, money, consumption, other people, nothing tied to today's society.

It was a happiness borne from completely within, a state of being I had entered simply by placing myself among the natural world in its natural state.

I guess you could call it a natural high.

:)

Strider, I would like to extend a big thank you to you for that previous post on your trip to the beach on this thread.

I think we all deserve to take time away from the pressures of life and just disassociate ourselves from our so-called day to day routine, at least once in a while.

Your post reminded me of an incident which happened to me at a time in my life when I was under extreme pressure to do exceedingly well at University. This was almost a year ago. I was in my honours year. The grades which I achieved that year, pretty much determined my fate as far as admission into the Master's degree programme was concerned. Needless to say, the pressure got to me. I became very difficult to live with. I used to yell at my mother for no rhyme or reason. I couldn't sleep for more than 3 to 4 hours a day. I used to have these crying spells if I failed to successfully solve an assignment question. At times, my hands used to shake and I could feel my heart beating really fast. My life pretty much consisted of going to University for classes, seeing my dissertation supervisor and then returning home and studying for at least 6 to 7 hours a day and then grabbing a bite to eat and maybe stay up late for a few hours studying again, before finally falling asleep at about 3 or 4 in the morning. All in all, it was a scenario of "Eat, Sleep and Study". Even though my honours degree was in a subject I loved dearly, I honestly couldn't take much more.

Each day on the way to University, I used to pass by a park called Albert park, which came into existence in 1882. What fascinated me initially was the fact that this park is steeped in history with a range of historical monuments ranging from a cannon used by New Zealand army during the Second World War to a statue paying tribute to those who had lost their lives in the "South African War" in 1900-1. Being a history buff, I was really keen to try and visit this park and just explore this vast area! These are some of the photos that I took about a year ago on my first proper visit to the park (I realise that I may have posted these photos either in this thread or some other, but I feel that this place has a peaceful quality which I just adore so I do see the need to share, yet again!) :)

Photo0445-1.jpg

Photo0444.jpg

Photo0450.jpg

I must admit that I did take the day off from University one day to photograph parts of the park which interested me. Surprisingly, I did not feel any guilt whatsoever. I just wanted to remember the day for years to come. As I spent almost the entire day exploring the park, I gradually began realizing that the park had an even bigger purpose. Namely, to make a person relax, sit on one of the many park benches taking in the lovely breeze and sunshine, sit and admire seemingly mundane things like a bird sitting in a tree chirping without a care in the world or a lady wheeling her baby's pram and quietly exploring the entire length of the park or take in the beautiful floral clock with all its roses blooming at its best during the summer months. The very tranquility that park had to offer honestly made me stop and think about what my life had become at that point. I swear on my life that the place made me reflect for a while as to whether my life was just about University and nothing else. At that point, I switched off my cell phone, put my ipod and cellphone back into my backpack and I just left my backpack with my cell phone, ipod and notebooks on the park bench next to the bush (seen in the photo above) and I just began to walk away from that bench to begin my in-depth exploration of the park, beginning with its trees, bushes and other things which I never usually take notice of while passing by on my way to University. I think I remained at Albert park for around 6 hours or so. I reached home only at around 7 PM. I had not only skipped University that day but I hadn't done a scrap of work all morning. But I honestly did not care. That park taught me a very important lesson: "Stop, Look, And Listen. You only get ONE chance to live your life. Do not let your life be swallowed up by mundane routines". It was that day that I felt true happiness and peace. I just had to stop the madness and get away from it all (at least for a little while!).

One year on, I still make it a point to visit Albert park at least once a week. It is one of my favourite places to spend time at, in Auckland. :)

P.S

Apologies for rambling like this. It's just that Strider's post struck a chord in me and I felt the need to just express myself and be heard.

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Free day off work! That's a good thing.

However, it's because our office is moving this weekend. That could be a not-so-good thing. We'll see come Monday morning.

I fear change... :)

You'll be fine. My boss recommended I read 'Who Moved The Cheese?'. When I was in middle school, the biggest problem was - Who Cut the Cheese? My have times changed. Good Luck with the new commute.

Free day off work! That's a good thing.

However, it's because our office is moving this weekend. That could be a not-so-good thing. We'll see come Monday morning.

I fear change... :)

"Change is death" ~ Woody Allen ;)

It's finally cooling down some from the blazing heat we've had in L.A. recently...it actually was cool and overcast for a bit this morning. Plus, it's FRIDAY! TGIF!!

Amazing how quick the week goes when you play hooky for a day or two. :D

You'll be fine. My boss recommended I read 'Who Moved The Cheese?'. When I was in middle school, the biggest problem was - Who Cut the Cheese? My have times changed. Good Luck with the new commute.

Thanks. But it's pretty much the same commute - Upper Silver Spring to the Seventh Circle of Hell (aka Tysons Corner). We just moved to another location in the 7th Circle... :)

But, what really made me happy today is - for the first time in 15 loooooong years, I just bought POST-SEASON BASEBALL TICKETS!!!!!!

:hurrah::cheer::hurrah:

Never mind that the games will probably never be played... :)

^ I can't imagine why?

Sorry to disappoint...

On many fronts, Major Major.

I always pictured you in a smoking jacket or a robe like Hugh Hefner. With a long pipe stem secured in the corner of you mouth, while you smoked only the most exotic of pipe tobaccos. Sitting in a plush mancave with the only light coming from two or three long stemmed candles.

Since you smoke ciggies, I gotta rework my whole mental image of you and your environment.

And that's gonna be a bitch.

Strider, that was a great story! We all need to take some time for us. It took me a while to understand the value in this. I do it as much as I can now. What an adventure to swim with Dolphins, feet in the sand...just take some time for your self. Awesome story my friend:-)

Kiwi_Zep_Fan87, also enjoyed your story. It is nice to have a place that has good memories.

:peace:

Autographed poster from the Sunflower Festival that was not yet available when I was in Clarksdale is on it's way to me. Robert Plant's autograph is going to look good hanging in my living room.